Author Topic: BMW E9x - all things maintenance and repairs  (Read 33759 times)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
BMW E9x - all things maintenance and repairs
« on: November 22, 2021, 01:26:45 pm »
Since there are a few members owning E9x I thought I would start this thread to share our collective info, knowledge, experience, issues, etc. on these cars.

I know there are tones of online forums, videos, etc.  with a wealth of info on these cars but sometimes finding the info takes time and I thought whatever we gather from those sources and sharing it here within our little community might have some benefits.

Being new to the brand/car, I've done a tone of research on known issues, fixes, parts, DIYs, etc to educate myself a bit and understand this car and it's specifics. I've also done a bit of wrenching on it so I became familiar with some areas of the car. Also done a lot of research on how/what/where to source parts for it and the costs as well as what's suitable for DIY for people with moderate skills/experience/tools/facilities like myself and what would require a shop.

Parts and sourcing:

As you probably know, the OEM parts are ridiculously expensive but on the bright side, most parts and in most cases, you can source for a fraction of the cost (ranging from a quarter to a half price) the very same part, from the same OE manufacturer (minus the BMW branding). Some of the brands I came across so far include Bosch (alternator, starter), Continental (belt, some sensors), INA (pullies), FAG (wheel bearings), Valeo (blower fan), Denso (A/C compressor), VDO (headlamp washer nozzle), VEMO, WVE (push button, VANOS solenoids (?)), Lemforder (all suspension/steering parts), Rein (aluminum bolts), Delphi (ignition coils), NGK (spark plugs), etc.... long list....

To find the right part and the best price,  I "developed" a 3-step strategy for myself:

1. Find the OE manufacturer and OEM P/N  - for this I use fcpeuro.com which has the best site as they give you the OEM part/PN and the OE equivalent part/PN for pretty much everything. Where applicable they give you other related parts/PNs for the hardware that should be replace at the same time or in many cases, they have the kits put together with all you need and list what's in the kit with individual P/Ns.
Unfortunately their prices and shipping are not enticing for us Canadians in most cases, but the info is the best I found. I also cross reference ecstunning.com which is another good resource for info but I find it not as good as fcpeuro.com.

2. Validate that P/N is correct for my VIN on shop.bmw.ca - make sure the P/N from fcpeuro.com is correct for my car on the Canadian BMW site and get an idea of the OEM cost just as an FYI and a good laugh.

3. Check local prices (germanparts.ca) and Rockauto - If Rockauto has the exact part I'm looking for, in most cases they have the best price including shipping (there is no duties). I only found few cases so far where the local option (including Amazon Prime) was better especially if you order small items by themselves (e.g. bolts, filters). Being cheap to begin with, the shipping cost negates the savings on the part itself in which case makes more sense to get it locally.

It may sound complicated or time consuming but in realty it takes me less than 5 min to find almost any part and if found on Rockauto typically it's the best price I can get it for (in my experience no one beats Rockauto prices - maybe same or close at most).

The only things I bought or will buy from the dealer are interior/exterior trim pieces, accessories and mounting hardware (bolts, nuts, etc.). I think every other part is available aftermarket at the same quality for much less; you just need to find it...

Two recent items I looked at as "what if" scenario are the alternator (might replace at some point as the bearings are making an annoying noise) and the blower fan (may get away with lubrication - known issue/fix). Both are easy DIYs and it if comes to replacement, Rockauto is the place to get the parts from.

For the alternator (new not reman), the price difference is significant compared to the local prices for the OE Bosh 180 Amp and so is for the blower fan which btw: OE brand is Valeo. You pay few hundred more locally for the RMAN alternator (155 Amp vs OEM spec 180 Amp) than you pay for a brand new one from Rockauto.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 02:22:24 pm by carcrazy »

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: BMW E9x - all things maintenance and repairs
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 02:02:28 pm »
Here's everything you need to replace all the fluids and associated parts (labor not included) in this car. Prices for some of the fluids are not posted on shop.bmw.ca but these are retail prices, P/Ns, and quantities that you should buy for the job.

You'll have a lot of coolant left as this is concentrate (dilute 50/50) and it takes 8.5L to fill. Also, for oil filter and P/S reservoir you can save few more bucks if you buy Mann filter and aftermarket reservoir.

Category                                 PN          Description                                                                 Qty   Price           Total
Engine Oil                                           83215A2AF99   BMW 0W30 TwinPower Turbo LL-01FE Engine Oil (1 Liter)           7   $16.78   $117.46
Brake Fluid                                   83132405976   BMW Brake Fluid DOT4 LV, Low Viscosity (0.5 Liter)                  2   $11.91   $23.82
Power Steering Fluid                           83299415963   Pentosin CHF 11 S (1 Liter)                                                          1   $28.00   $28.00
Coolant/Antifreeze                           83519415964   BMW Anti-Freeze (3.73 Liter)                                                  2   $29.60   $59.20
Manual Transmission Fluid                   83222339221   BMW 75W90 MTF-LT-3 Manual Transmission Fluid (1 Liter)          2   $42.86   $85.72
Transfer Case Fluid                           83222409710   BMW DTF1 Transfer Case Fluid (1 Liter)                                   1   $63.36   $63.36
Front/Rear Diff Fluid                           83229415960   BMW 75W90 NON-LSD (0.5 Liter)                                          5   $50.60   $253.00
Transfer Case/Diff Drain/Fill plug           33117525064   BMW Screw Plug With O-Ring                                                  5   $11.48   $57.40
Manual Transmission Drain/Fill Plug   23117531356   BMW Screw Plug With Gasket Ring                                          2   $26.26   $52.52
Power Steering Reservoir                   32416851218   BMW Oil Carrier, Power Steering Reservoir                                  1   $58.00   $58.00
Power Steering Hose Clamp           32416751128   BMW Hose Clamp                                                                  1   $2.75   $2.75
Power Steering Hose Clamp           32416751127   BMW Hose Clamp                                                                  1   $3.00   $3.00
Drain Plug                                           11137535106   BMW Screw Plug                                                                  1   $8.79   $8.79
Drain Plug Gasket                           11137535106   BMW Gasket Ring                                                                  1   $1.00   $1.00
Engine Oil Filter                                   11427953129   BMW Set Oil-Filter Element                                                          1   $21.75   $21.75
Subtotal                                $835.77
Grand Total with Tax               $944.42
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 02:17:24 pm by carcrazy »

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2021, 02:19:00 pm »
Some great tips here! There's a couple little things I need to fix on my wagon, this will help.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2021, 02:19:51 pm »
Some great tips here! There's a couple little things I need to fix on my wagon, this will help.

What do you need to fix?

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2021, 02:30:27 pm »
One other thing I bought from the dealer is the engine ground cable and a rod for self-leveling headlights. Not very expensive parts so the potential savings were minimal in absolute $$$ so not worth the effort.

Probably good idea to check the ground cables as they tend to rot at this age and give electrical issues. The one under the hood is easy but there is another one on the starter side (it's around $70) which is underneath the car and a bit more difficult to access without a hoist (still doable). With the car on the hoist it's relatively easy to get to.

Oh... one other part I looked into at some point was the headlight self-leveling sensor as I was told one was missing and would cost me $300+ to install the OEM one. Luckily the info was incorrect (it was missing by design not as a defect), but I looked into it anyway.

The original sensors are made by VNE but Rockauto has the WVE one for about $100 shipped IIRC and again fairly easy to get to and replace. There is one in the front and one in the rear, both on the driver side. Both sensors are the same front and rear I believe.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 02:49:16 pm by carcrazy »

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2021, 02:32:41 pm »
Great post, thanks! 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2021, 02:43:24 pm »

What do you need to fix?

Have an issue where my car thinks the hatch is open even though it isn't. This means anything hatch-related doesn't work (rear wiper, defroster, and the glass hatch won't open). My indy shop thinks it's the microswitch for the glass that has failed. They ordered a new one but that was months ago and I called them a while back and they didn't have an update for me.

Also, the windshield washer fluid isn't spraying but I was waiting to get the other problem fixed first to see if they're related. If not it probably just needs a new pump for the front.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2021, 03:49:42 pm »

What do you need to fix?

Have an issue where my car thinks the hatch is open even though it isn't. This means anything hatch-related doesn't work (rear wiper, defroster, and the glass hatch won't open). My indy shop thinks it's the microswitch for the glass that has failed. They ordered a new one but that was months ago and I called them a while back and they didn't have an update for me.

Also, the windshield washer fluid isn't spraying but I was waiting to get the other problem fixed first to see if they're related. If not it probably just needs a new pump for the front.

Just a wild thought here - have you tried to pull the (black) rubber cover for the hatch wires from both ends - body and hatch and inspect if any wire is cut or insulation is broken? As you may know, this is a possibility and a known issue with hatches and trunk lids on some cars where the wires do get coiled up frequently from the regular use. Never had this issue with my 15 years old Outlander or the GTI (much newer) but I had it with my 6-7 years old Mazda sedan and now with the BMW so it could be a possibility. I know it could happen to hatches not only sedans.

Also, pull the harness on both sides (body and hatch) as much as the slack allows it to be able to inspect as big of a section as you can. In mine, I found almost broken wires past the hole, inside the body. The wires are pretty stiff (not sure if this is how they were from new or it's age related) and when bent a lot they will eventually break.

I replaced the affected section of the trunk lid harness on mine with this kit (specific for BMW) available at Rockauto:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNZlgoDGyTY&t=266s

« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 04:04:33 pm by carcrazy »

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2021, 04:07:33 pm »

What do you need to fix?

Just a wild thought here - have you tried to pull the (black) rubber cover for the hatch wires from both ends - body and hatch and inspect if any wire is cut or insulation is broken? As you may know, this is a possibility and a known issue with hatches and trunk lids on some cars where the wires do get coiled up frequently from the regular use. Never had this issue with my 15 years old Outlander or the GTI (much newer) but I had it with my 6-7 years old Mazda sedan and now with the BMW so it could be a possibility. I know it could happen to hatches not only sedans.

Also, pull the harness on both sides (body and hatch) as much as the slack allows it to be able to inspect as big of a section as you can. In mine, I found almost broken wires past the hole, inside the body. The wires are pretty stiff (not sure if this is how they were from new or it's age related) and when bent a lot they will eventually break.

I replaced the affected section of the trunk lid harness on mine with this kit (specific for BMW) available at Rockauto:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNZlgoDGyTY&t=266s

I already did that, and the shop I took it to did as well. Everything seemed fine.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2021, 04:22:28 pm »
Any codes on the instrument cluster at all? Thinking that some of those failed items would throw a code on the instrument cluster.

BTW: You may know about this list, but will post it here anyway; came in handy for me when the car started to throw codes when the lights went bust due to the cut wires.

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/blog/bmw-cc-id-error-codes/

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2021, 09:50:50 am »
Any codes on the instrument cluster at all? Thinking that some of those failed items would throw a code on the instrument cluster.

BTW: You may know about this list, but will post it here anyway; came in handy for me when the car started to throw codes when the lights went bust due to the cut wires.

Nope, no codes. I have iDrive and nothing shows up in the vehicle check screen or whatever it's called.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2021, 01:19:09 pm »

Nope, no codes. I have iDrive and nothing shows up in the vehicle check screen or whatever it's called.

That's strange as I would assume at least the rear wiper would be monitored as it's a safety item. Why is taking so long to get the micro switch replaced? Aren't you annoyed to say the least not being able to clear the rear window?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2021, 01:22:01 pm »

That's strange as I would assume at least the rear wiper would be monitored as it's a safety item. Why is taking so long to get the micro switch replaced? Aren't you annoyed to say the least not being able to clear the rear window?

I am but I really don't drive that much so it hasn't bothered me yet. But now that winter is coming it will. I might just order the part myself and bring it in to them.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2021, 01:30:30 pm »

I am but I really don't drive that much so it hasn't bothered me yet. But now that winter is coming it will. I might just order the part myself and bring it in to them.

Is this the part you need?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-rear-window-key-button-61319200673

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2021, 01:49:35 pm »

Yup, that's it.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2021, 01:53:57 pm »

Yup, that's it.

Rockauto has one left in stock. It's a VEMO but it's a good brand (German) so should work just like the OEM. $60 shipped with tax (based on my location). Otherwise, the OEM would be $118 tax in.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2021, 01:59:04 pm »

Yup, that's it.

Rockauto has one left in stock. It's a VEMO but it's a good brand (German) so should work just like the OEM. $60 shipped with tax (based on my location). Otherwise, the OEM would be $118 tax in.

Thanks, just ordered it.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2021, 02:38:17 pm »
Dang...had a discount code you could have used
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2021, 02:56:59 pm »
Dang...had a discount code you could have used

Yeah, me too but forgot to tell him. It's 5% in my case so he would've saved $2.XX

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2021, 03:46:07 pm »
Ah well, I'll get by.  ;D