Author Topic: The Venzaurus  (Read 19275 times)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: The Venzaurus
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2023, 10:59:03 am »
32,000 oil change yesterday. Toyotas are boring - nothing unusual to report  :D

So how does doing your own oil changes etc work with warranty coverage?

This is my 4th car I bought new. Had a couple of warranty claims in the past and never had to prove anything. Obviously to be on a safe side I use dealer sold Toyota parts (no ebays or a-zons) and keep all receipts, dates and odo pictures, in case something needs proven. Fingers crossed.

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: bugatti
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2023, 11:11:21 am »

This is my 4th car I bought new. Had a couple of warranty claims in the past and never had to prove anything. Obviously to be on a safe side I use dealer sold Toyota parts (no ebays or a-zons) and keep all receipts, dates and odo pictures, in case something needs proven. Fingers crossed.

My local Toyota dealer charges $60 for an oil change and they have massage seats in the waiting room. it's a no brainer ;D

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2023, 11:14:23 am »

My local Toyota dealer charges $60 for an oil change and they have massage seats in the waiting room. it's a no brainer ;D

That's reasonable. Dyno oil? (I get a 5 degree concrete floor, LOL)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 11:17:29 am by EV Dan »

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: bugatti
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2023, 11:16:42 am »

That's reasonable. Dyno oil?

I don't even know,  as long as my wife doesn't ask me to do anything on her vehicle I'm happy  :P.  This is the first vehicle I've own not having used my own wrenches.   quite happy with it beside being a big cow to drive.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2023, 08:37:27 pm »

It doesn't.  Read any warranty agreement. 

Effectively, vehicle warranties are good will.  If you change your own oil or have an INDY garage do it the manufactures can deny any engine warranty and there is nothing one can do about it.

Unless your owning a Korean engine it's very slight that you will have an internal engine failure.  However, the Dealers are hurting and they are very high on having customers come into the dealership for the "dealer experience" and the Distributors/Manufacturers are backing this.

The Tremor goes the Dealer and I get banged for about $150 for oil and filter.  The Armada goes to the Dealer and it costs about $120 for oil and filter.  Commencing this late April, I will pay for a brake service annually as Nissan replaced all rotors and pads under warranty.  Not happening again.

The MDX Dealer is in TO so I just buy the Honda filter that fits on every Honda and change it myself when I switch the tires.  It's a Honda motor so it's extremely low risk.   

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2023, 09:17:00 am »
^^^Which is what EV is probably thinking. He is not driving  a Ford Venza.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2023, 12:27:29 pm »
It's a grey area I suppose. Having serviced a Genesis at the dealers', I've seen too much  :-X  The car is safer and happier under my TLC.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2023, 12:45:32 pm »

Back in 2007 I asked this exact question and was told as long as I kept record of oil changes with receipts that there would be no problem getting warranty coverage if an engine issue arose. I never had any engine issues within the warranty period (or even 16 years later) so that statement was never tested. However, I would imagine it wouldn't be much different than if you had your oil changes done at an indy during the warranty period and had invoices to prove it.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2023, 02:11:03 pm »

Back in 2007 I asked this exact question and was told as long as I kept record of oil changes with receipts that there would be no problem getting warranty coverage if an engine issue arose. I never had any engine issues within the warranty period (or even 16 years later) so that statement was never tested. However, I would imagine it wouldn't be much different than if you had your oil changes done at an indy during the warranty period and had invoices to prove it.

Yeah, exactly. It even says so explicitly in the owner's manual (this for Subaru, but others probably the same.)

"Without invalidating the warranty, the owner may elect to have maintenance repairs performed by any automotive repair establishment, or individual..."

Having said that, I like to keep a relationship with the dealer service department while the vehicle is under warranty. If something does go wrong and it's a bit of a grey area, I think there's a better chance of them going to bat for you if there's a full service history in their computer, rather than you being some stranger who walks in with a shoe box full of receipts.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2023, 02:19:23 pm »
Civil claim in small claims court. Maximum $50k so should cover most scenarios. Sue the rat bastards if they put up any resistance. PITA for a Company to defend itself in small claims court.

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2023, 02:53:22 pm »

Yeah, exactly. It even says so explicitly in the owner's manual (this for Subaru, but others probably the same.)

"Without invalidating the warranty, the owner may elect to have maintenance repairs performed by any automotive repair establishment, or individual..."

Having said that, I like to keep a relationship with the dealer service department while the vehicle is under warranty. If something does go wrong and it's a bit of a grey area, I think there's a better chance of them going to bat for you if there's a full service history in their computer, rather than you being some stranger who walks in with a shoe box full of receipts.

Thing is Subaru's maintenance schedule is costly, more so than Lexus, with the brake servicing and so on

I will likely stick to their schedule while under warranty but push it to yearly rather than 6 months, with the low mileages we run

https://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?WebSiteID=282&WebPageID=18541

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2023, 03:01:00 pm »
Civil claim in small claims court. Maximum $50k so should cover most scenarios. Sue the rat bastards if they put up any resistance. PITA for a Company to defend itself in small claims court.

There was a discussion here recently about the difference between Toyota and some other makes and Mitsubishi. I don't remember what it's called but Toyota and others are part to certain industry warranty terms agreement where when things go south they need prove that the owner didn't provide sufficient maintenance and not the other way around. IIRC Ron might know what it is.

Edit:
https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=119991.msg1632203#msg1632203
Thanks Johnny  :)

https://www.camvap.ca/participating-manufacturers/~english
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 03:08:10 pm by EV Dan »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2023, 01:08:58 pm »
Did a my 40k oil change a couple of days ago. "Pimped" my ramps prior to that occasion, as seen in the picture  8) so diving under is now more painless.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2023, 02:09:06 am »
Nice, nice.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2023, 12:52:26 pm »
It's this time of year again  :D

New OEM filters installed: HV battery and the engine.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 01:18:04 pm by EV Dan »

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2023, 12:56:53 pm »
^ how often do you check/replace your HV battery filters? I checked them on the Sienna after a month and they looked brand new.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2023, 01:07:04 pm »
^ how often do you check/replace your HV battery filters? I checked them on the Sienna after a month and they looked brand new.

I don't really check on them, just replace both once a year, and the cabin filter twice a year (Bosch). The engine filter looked half-dirty and the battery one seemingly dusty, hard to tell as it is charcoal in colour. Both are dirt-cheap to DIY when compared to having it done at the dealer.