Author Topic: Quick Spin: 2013 Ford Escape SE 4WD  (Read 6845 times)

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
Re: Quick Spin: 2013 Ford Escape SE 4WD
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 10:07:35 am »
the space deficient Tiguan.

I saw what you did there....

H3ll3r

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2012, 12:42:58 pm »
It baffles me how anyone can get excited about the 1.6 turbo motor that produces such poor fuel economy! 10-12 L /100 kms sucks.
I drive approx. 40,000 kms a year, I use about 6L/100 kms in my TDI.  That represents a savings of around $3000 a year !!

They thought fuel economy suffered as a result; with the 1.6L, the Escape’s Natural Resources Canada estimates run as low as 9.1 L/100 km in city driving and 6.0 L/100 km on the highway for a front-wheel-drive model; ratings for my AWD tester are 9.2 and 6.6. I averaged 10.9 L/100 in mostly city driving, which one of those other journalists said was a full 20 percent better than he saw in a 2.0L model.

You're not comparing apples to apples. Your TDi doesn't have AWD. It doesn't have the same ground clearance. Both of which hit fuel economy.

At 40k a year, unless you're a part time cabbie, you are doing mostly highway mileage, where this thing is rated at 6.6L/100km (NRCan) with the 1.6L.

If you do compare apples to apples, the Escape with either 1.6L or 2.0L is rated higher than the space deficient Tiguan.

Imagine your savings if you actually had something really efficient, like say, a Prius.

Interesting how the NRCan ratings are so much more attractive than the comparator in your post, which seems far more realistic...
My concern is that I'm still far off, even at the 3000km mark. I asked the dealership if there could be something abnormal with my vehicle since all around the web, people are posting much better ratings, but they told me that if there was anything out of spec, the check engine light would come up.

Anyways I'll try ethanol-free gas on my next tank just to see if there's a noticeable difference.... but right now a tankful range of 375km is pretty ridiculous... If I could get, say, 11 L/100km City with a range of around 450km, that would be much more reasonable...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2012, 01:11:19 pm »
Interesting how the NRCan ratings are so much more attractive than the comparator in your post, which seems far more realistic...
My concern is that I'm still far off, even at the 3000km mark. I asked the dealership if there could be something abnormal with my vehicle since all around the web, people are posting much better ratings, but they told me that if there was anything out of spec, the check engine light would come up.

Anyways I'll try ethanol-free gas on my next tank just to see if there's a noticeable difference.... but right now a tankful range of 375km is pretty ridiculous... If I could get, say, 11 L/100km City with a range of around 450km, that would be much more reasonable...

I use the EPA's website www.fueleconomy.gov. The numbers are more realistic. You can personalize the output to L/100km and local fuel prices.

There are lots of variables with fuel consumption. Turbos can be a challenge as far as getting the highest fuel economy. Hopefully things improve for you.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2012, 04:51:04 pm »
It baffles me how anyone can get excited about the 1.6 turbo motor that produces such poor fuel economy! 10-12 L /100 kms sucks.
I drive approx. 40,000 kms a year, I use about 6L/100 kms in my TDI.  That represents a savings of around $3000 a year !!

They thought fuel economy suffered as a result; with the 1.6L, the Escape’s Natural Resources Canada estimates run as low as 9.1 L/100 km in city driving and 6.0 L/100 km on the highway for a front-wheel-drive model; ratings for my AWD tester are 9.2 and 6.6. I averaged 10.9 L/100 in mostly city driving, which one of those other journalists said was a full 20 percent better than he saw in a 2.0L model.

You're not comparing apples to apples. Your TDi doesn't have AWD. It doesn't have the same ground clearance. Both of which hit fuel economy.

At 40k a year, unless you're a part time cabbie, you are doing mostly highway mileage, where this thing is rated at 6.6L/100km (NRCan) with the 1.6L.

If you do compare apples to apples, the Escape with either 1.6L or 2.0L is rated higher than the space deficient Tiguan.

Imagine your savings if you actually had something really efficient, like say, a Prius.
And the Prius is room then the Jetta wagon