Author Topic: Favouring style over outward visibility has to stop.  (Read 10672 times)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
Re: Favouring style over outward visibility has to stop.
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2017, 09:27:29 am »
The author who took that picture noted that the kids, being moving targets, were indeed hidden as he moved (a measure of "perfect [unfortunate] timing") - so I reject (respectfully):
at that point of the picture, the children are hidden... one second earlier, they would have been clear in the windshield... one second later, clean in your side window... if you want to go back further, ten seconds, when the driver should be checking to see if that is the road they will be turning on, the kids would be on the sidewalk ahead, moving towards the crosswalk.

...and you seem to agree:
also, there are exceptions to every rule of course... a person walking at a rate of speed that keeps them in a blind spot say... it happens. that's why they are accidents, not "on purposes".
...but the point of my posting this thread is to reduce the likelihood of "accidents".  Everything's an assessment of risk.  If a risk can be reduced, even by 10%, it's valuable.  If some manufacturers are able to reduce the thickness of the A-pillars, then it's not a question of technology or capacity within regulations for safety equipment (roof strength or airbags): it's a question of effort.  I am of the opinion that the effort has fallen to the wayside in favour of making prettier designs, and I think that has to stop.

it's not always easy and we all make mistakes, but i was taught to always be looking at "the big picture"...
[snip]
that is what every driver should do. if you can't, then you aren't respecting driving enough or maybe just don't have the awareness to drive a high speed projectile.
Absofuckinglutely.  ...but remember, not everyone gives the same number of sh!ts about pedestrians as we do.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2017, 10:03:11 am »
I'm guessing it's because it's a lesser of two evils things. Far more people are killed in car wrecks than a run over by cars.

So occupant safety wins.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2017, 11:26:18 am »
... If some manufacturers are able to reduce the thickness of the A-pillars, then it's not a question of technology or capacity within regulations for safety equipment (roof strength or airbags): it's a question of effort.  I am of the opinion that the effort has fallen to the wayside in favour of making prettier designs, and I think that has to stop.

You still think manufacturers use huge A-pillars because they’re prettier? ???

It’s about $$$, not styling.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2017, 11:41:49 am »
^^ I’m sure No-san will disagree that they’re all doing their “best.” Some have likely chosen to spend extra on high-strength steel and such to meet the new requirements while keeping the A-pillars as slim as possible, while others have chosen not to.

Reminds of when the pedestrian-impact regulations were first proposed. We all know how the hood requirements have wrecked the styling of most new cars (looking at you, bulbous snout Mustang  :P ), but I was optimistic that it wouldn’t happen to all of them.

I’d read an article from one designer who said they could meet the new regs by installing pyrotechnic devices under the hood: you could keep it low for styling, then as soon as a trigger in the bumper detected an impact, the hood would pop up a few inches to get the required clearance.

But of course, that is extra $$$. As far as I know, no manufacturer actually ever used that design in practice. Everyone just went for the cheaper and uglier solution.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-440
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2017, 12:45:07 pm »

...but the point of my posting this thread is to reduce the likelihood of "accidents".  Everything's an assessment of risk.  If a risk can be reduced, even by 10%, it's valuable.  If some manufacturers are able to reduce the thickness of the A-pillars, then it's not a question of technology or capacity within regulations for safety equipment (roof strength or airbags): it's a question of effort.  I am of the opinion that the effort has fallen to the wayside in favour of making prettier designs, and I think that has to stop.

No-san if you want to reduce the number  accidents we need to remove the folks from the road or stop licensing people not properly qualified  to drive... I will give you 2 examples from my family...

my uncle is 99 and still drives even after losing sight in one eye ... I thought when he got a detached retina 4 years ago he would not be allowed to drive anymore, nope perfectly legal no issues. I have tried to get him to stop but his view is as long as they give him a license he is going to drive.. luckily he lives in Kingston where the traffic is not as bad, but he drives the 401 regularly  to visit his girlfriend in Peterborough.. she has called me and says she won't drive with him anymore, none of us can convince him to stop.   This man should not be driving.

My 90 year old mother drove up to about 5 years ago.. I took her for her last licence renewal prior to that, it was a shock how easy  it is to maintain your license... they have a special place for seniors to do there renewal , want to see a scary bunch of folks who still drive, almost everyone there had a walker or a cane and were brought by someone else... there is no written or driving test, they have there vision checked watch a couple of movies and the only thing they test them for is dementia by getting them to draw the hands of a clock for a time they give them....  bingo bang-go bong-go your licensed for another 5 years .

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2017, 12:47:25 pm »
^^ I’m sure No-san will disagree that they’re all doing their “best.” Some have likely chosen to spend extra on high-strength steel and such to meet the new requirements while keeping the A-pillars as slim as possible, while others have chosen not to.

No-san if you want to reduce the number  accidents we need to remove the folks from the road or stop licensing people not properly qualified  to drive...

I've advocated time and time again that driving is a privilege, not a right, but it doesn't matter.

A multifaceted approach would be better than a single effort.  Some people properly able to drive make mistakes/momentary lapses of judgment - the point isn't to get them off the road, it's to lessen the likelihood of incidents occurring.  In the same way that "remov[ing] the folks from the road", etc. would bring about a reduction (theoretically) in traffic incidents, so, too, would increasing outward visibility in vehicle designs.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 12:52:58 pm by No-san »

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2017, 12:51:13 pm »
my uncle is 99 and still drives even after losing sight in one eye ... .. luckily he lives in Kingston where the traffic is not as bad, but he drives the 401 regularly  to visit his girlfriend in Peterborough..

I think he deserves a trophy still though for this part!!  :winner:  Player at 99!!!  ;D
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2017, 01:03:55 pm »
*wrote this like an hour ago and had to leave the computer...*

yeah, i touched on that as well in my verbal diarrhea rocket. agree on that. a pedestrian is less likely to die, so not the priority.

no-san... just think about this.. the guy obviously knew they were there (or why take the picture) and actually TOOK THE PICTURE!!! he is a part of the issues... what he did is illegal and while visually demonstrates his point, sure doesn't back it up when you actually look deeper.

basically, i fight your main stance because i want a car that looks good and is safe for me. the shape of the pillar is more for the occupant safety, shape/fuel economy, looks, THEN the lest obstruction possible. i'm fine with that level of priority.

like child rearing, i prepare the child for the world, not the world for the child... we should prepare the driver for the car, not the car for the driver. don't gloss over peoples inability to perform certain tasks by "correcting" something to perpetuate their shortcoming. if it is that bad of a design, sales should be affected and the car won't be an issue. likely the design is only marginally worse than others, so it will continue.

meh is all i can say really!
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2017, 01:06:31 pm »

yeah, i touched on that as well in my verbal diarrhea rocket. agree on that. a pedestrian is less likely to die, so not the priority.

no-san... just think about this.. the guy obviously knew they were there (or why take the picture) and actually TOOK THE PICTURE!!! he is a part of the issues... what he did is illegal and while visually demonstrates his point, sure doesn't back it up when you actually look deeper.

basically, i fight your main stance because i want a car that looks good and is safe for me. the shape of the pillar is more for the occupant safety, shape/fuel economy, looks, THEN the lest obstruction possible. i'm fine with that level of priority.

like child rearing, i prepare the child for the world, not the world for the child... we should prepare the driver for the car, not the car for the driver. don't gloss over peoples inability to perform certain tasks by "correcting" something to perpetuate their shortcoming. if it is that bad of a design, sales should be affected and the car won't be an issue. likely the design is only marginally worse than others, so it will continue.

Yeah, cars crashing into each other/solid objects happens a lot more often than into people.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2017, 01:29:12 pm »

It was a set up photo for the purpose of the article. He even says it was his own kids in the picture (okay, not in the picture.)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2017, 01:35:21 pm »
First,

I always think very well of you - so no part of this is against you, personally :)

I accept your position.  I think it's a reasonable one.  I merely think that the issues need not be mutually-exclusive; that is, I think we can have high occupant safety, shape/fuel economy, looks, and minimal A-pillars.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2017, 02:19:09 pm »
true... peace!

once cars are autonomous and have every driver, occupant and pedestrian safety device... all this will be null and void anyways!

they'll figure out something...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2017, 02:35:51 pm »
true... peace!

once cars are autonomous and have every driver, occupant and pedestrian safety device... all this will be null and void anyways!

they'll figure out something...

Scottie, beam me up!

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2017, 02:59:15 pm »

Reminds of when the pedestrian-impact regulations were first proposed. We all know how the hood requirements have wrecked the styling of most new cars (looking at you, bulbous snout Mustang  :P ), but I was optimistic that it wouldn’t happen to all of them.

I’d read an article from one designer who said they could meet the new regs by installing pyrotechnic devices under the hood: you could keep it low for styling, then as soon as a trigger in the bumper detected an impact, the hood would pop up a few inches to get the required clearance.

But of course, that is extra $$$. As far as I know, no manufacturer actually ever used that design in practice. Everyone just went for the cheaper and uglier solution.

I think Jag used that system (XK8? F-Type?) but I don't think anyone else has. At least not that I remember. 
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2017, 03:18:38 pm »

Preach!

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2017, 06:58:26 pm »
I think Jag used that system (XK8? F-Type?) but I don't think anyone else has. At least not that I remember.
Volvo...

Jag

Infiniti

Dare I post it...Buick

2018 Lexus LC

MB

Genesis (in development)

I'm sure there are others.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2017, 07:26:52 pm »
^^ Neat to know. Thanks.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2017, 07:29:23 pm »

Lexus has used a hood pop up system for pedestrians for a number of years now..
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 07:33:12 pm by rrocket »