Author Topic: First Drive: 2013 Toyota Avalon  (Read 8457 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2013 Toyota Avalon
« on: November 26, 2012, 06:05:26 am »

Toyota has reinvented the Avalon for 2013, but it remains as strong a luxury-car value as ever.

Read More...

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
Re: First Drive: 2013 Toyota Avalon
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 09:42:32 am »

Toyota has reinvented the Avalon for 2013, but it remains as strong a luxury-car value as ever.

Read More...

Thanks for the review! At $36k, it sounds like excellent value.
Too bad Toyota decided not to bring the hybrid over to Canada. If they offered it at a $40k mark, it would be my choice.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 10:34:08 am »
With the trend for lower prices I'm surprised that Toyota did not apply a price reduction to the Avalon. In the Toyota world anything non hybrid should be considered old technology and priced accordingly.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 10:44:36 am »
With the trend for lower prices I'm surprised that Toyota did not apply a price reduction to the Avalon. In the Toyota world anything non hybrid should be considered old technology and priced accordingly.
As compared to what?
Even in "base" XLE trim, it comes with navigation and leather seats. It starts at $31k in the great US&A but packaged differently (no NAV IIRC). So the price is fairly "in line" and the difference doesn't justify going south as with some other manufacturers.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 11:08:48 am »
As compared to what?
Even in "base" XLE trim, it comes with navigation and leather seats. It starts at $31k in the great US&A but packaged differently (no NAV IIRC). So the price is fairly "in line" and the difference doesn't justify going south as with some other manufacturers.

I take it that you did not see today's post here regarding "Sonata Reshuffles Trims and Pricing for 2013" even the model with leather has a price reduction.
Something tells me your defense of Toyota either makes you a fan boy or somehow involved with Toyota sales.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 11:13:03 am »
As compared to what?

I take it that you did not see today's post here regarding "Sonata Reshuffles Trims and Pricing for 2013" even the model with leather has a price reduction.
Something tells me your defense of Toyota either makes you a fan boy or somehow involved with Toyota sales.

[/quote]

And that make YOU not so smart. The previous gen Avalon started at $41,995. This one (VERY nicely optioned EVEN WITH NAV), starts at $36,500. If that's not a major reduction, then go back to the Huyndai fanboi club.
Or did you seriously expect the top dog Toyota to be priced as a Kia?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 11:15:05 am by whaddaiknow »

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12331
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 11:16:05 am »
Are my eyes deceiving me - or is this  ??? Avalon  ??? actually a pretty decent looking car?  That fast roofline is kinda fetching.  And they have played a VERY strong value hand when it comes to value, IMO.  I know this car is a favourite whipping post for the hang-it-out-sideways hardcore set, but I gotta say that overall it looks like a very compelling near-Lexus offering.  Nic job Toyota.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 11:18:28 am »
Looks like a nice car but I doubt they will sell many.  I can't remember the last time I saw an Avalon on the road, it's just not a car anyone thinks of when shopping for cars.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 11:26:17 am »
As compared to what?

And that make YOU not so smart. The previous gen Avalon started at $41,995. This one (VERY nicely optioned EVEN WITH NAV), starts at $36,500. If that's not a major reduction, then go back to the Huyndai fanboi club.
Or did you seriously expect the top dog Toyota to be priced as a Kia?
[/quote]
Huh !! who mentioned Kia ? Not a Hyundai fanboy by any stretch and to me the top Toyota is a Lexus and is priced accordingly. I was simply noting what has become a trend in the auto industry in light of competition, even Porsche reduced the 911 price. I sense some defense here, so are you in Toyota sales somehow ? Oh you can call me a Porsche fanboy if you like, that one I'll accept.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 11:29:19 am by redman »

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 11:33:25 am »
Looks like a nice car but I doubt they will sell many.  I can't remember the last time I saw an Avalon on the road, it's just not a car anyone thinks of when shopping for cars.
That's why this one is a thorough redesign. I wouldn't mind parking one on my driveway (I am 40). It's just a bummer that Toyota being the efficiency poster child decided not to offer the hybrid version in Canada. I would love commuting in a large quiet sedan while consuming <6.0l/100km of regular gas. But if the 8.3l/100km estimate is close to reality, the V6 would still be pretty good.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 11:47:07 am »
Great review for a very good vehicle. Just I'm wondering how it will look in bright colors with this wide open mouth...Seems to me ugly...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 11:55:14 am »
The Avalon suffers from the same problem as the Maxima - squeezed from above (ES350 / G37) and below (top trim Camry and Altima) - but I think the Avalon will find its share of buyers, if not so much in the Canadian market, then down south.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 11:57:06 am »
Capacitive touch switches operate like switches on a smart phone touch screen. Located under the grained panel surface on the centre switch panel, the innovative controls have been tuned to operate conveniently with a light touch, and can even be operated by hands with gloves or longer fingernails. The HVAC fan speed is operated by use of a responsive touch slide.

Well, that's it for the Avalon then.  ;D
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 11:57:32 am »
The Avalon suffers from the same problem as the Maxima - squeezed from above (ES350 / G37) and below (top trim Camry and Altima) - but I think the Avalon will find its share of buyers, if not so much in the Canadian market, then down south.
:iagree: Especially in Florida

Northernridge

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 12:04:30 pm »
At sub-40k the Avalon seems like darn good value. I also think Toyota's styling is inching along (at worst) in the right direction. All the mid-sized sedans are nipping at this price point at their upper end and most are lesser cars...says me.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 12:08:16 pm »

The problem Nissan faced was CVT in the Maxima which was an oxy-moron as Maxima had always been positioned as the sportiest mid-szied sedan in the Camcord/Sonoptima crowd. I'm sure the Maxima would have found more customers had it been optioned with a proper auto and a stick in the base form.
All Nissan/Infinity options are good lookers.

Toyota, OTOH, offers exactly the same drivetrains across the Camry/Avalon/ES line so the choice is primarily based on the looks which are very different and the brand cachet. Both Avalon and the ES are luxurious but the Avalon keeps a relatively low profile with a lower price tag. Might be a good option for people who need rear passenger space without flashy lexus badge (carting clients around).

EDIT: or aging fartbags like me who like to be coddled on their daily commute without having to pay for premium gas.

I hope it does well.

To Cord: Toyota invested significant effort into capacitive switches to make sure they don't end up like the failure that the GM/Ford version was. Better sensitivity, even with light gloves, and wider spacing to avoid pressing the wrong key.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 12:10:43 pm by whaddaiknow »

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 12:14:12 pm »
To Cord: Toyota invested significant effort into capacitive switches to make sure they don't end up like the failure that the GM/Ford version was. Better sensitivity, even with light gloves, and wider spacing to avoid pressing the wrong key.

Oh there's no doubt! Now that Toyota uses the technology, it's fantastic!

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
First Drive: 2013 Toyota Avalon
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 12:16:36 pm »

Oh there's no doubt! Now that Toyota uses the technology, it's fantastic!

I'm glad to see you're finally figuring it out. :)
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2012, 12:30:30 pm »
EDIT: or aging fartbags like me who like to be coddled on their daily commute without having to pay for premium gas.

;D  I wouldn't be ready for a car like this as a daily driver - but I sure wouldn't complain if my wife wanted to drive one, allowing me to opt for something smaller and sportier for my ride.  When it comes to a family road trip, small and sporty are not exactly plusses, IMO.  This would be a pretty darned nice point-the-nose-at-the-horizon type of car.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2012, 12:36:13 pm »

;D  I wouldn't be ready for a car like this as a daily driver - but I sure wouldn't complain if my wife wanted to drive one, allowing me to opt for something smaller and sportier for my ride.  When it comes to a family road trip, small and sporty are not exactly plusses, IMO.  This would be a pretty darned nice point-the-nose-at-the-horizon type of car.

Exactly, a good vehicle to be in as you head off to Florida for the winter. Depending on how good the seats are I think it would be a really decent US interstate cruiser.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.