Author Topic: Used Vehicle Review: Cadillac STS, 2005-2011  (Read 13999 times)

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
Re: Used Vehicle Review: Cadillac STS, 2005-2011
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2012, 04:34:09 pm »
They don't make golf cart versions of your vehicle unless you've got a strong brand!

You're getting close to lazy generalization.  ;)

;D

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2012, 06:48:02 pm »
I feel compelled to say how nice it is to have a GM-centric discussion that hasn't descended into hate speech hell.

Also, I hope I haven't just jinxed it.  :P
I used to work here.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2012, 07:52:35 pm »
The Northstar engines were pretty horrible things (in general).....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2012, 08:21:01 pm »
Cadillac long enjoyed a unique and prestigious place in the auto industry. Called “The Standard of the World,” people spoke of other products as ‘The Cadillac of whatever.”  It's all gone, ruined by GM's relentless pursuit of mediocrity.

Yes but the legacy is so strong even the Canyonero is referred to as the Cadillac of automobiles!

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2012, 08:28:48 pm »
In terms of cars is there such a thing as 'standard of the world' anymore?

Yes, it's Lexus.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2012, 10:36:49 pm »
I feel compelled to say how nice it is to have a GM-centric discussion that hasn't descended into hate speech hell.

BARRIE; this is your re-entry thread!!!!

New operators.  They'll let you back in.   :flowers:

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2012, 09:51:44 am »
 These Northstar engines were an early attempt at modern light- weight small V-8 engines...If I'm not incorrect, they are smooth little operators...The main problem with them used to be blown head gaskets, caused by faulty head bolts...The fix was costly...I'm not sure if this was ever addressed by re-design....There is no mention of this flaw in the article...It was fairly pervasive in early editions of this engine.
    Nice car with a few flaws...Great price, though.. The V model must be a real scooter....Thanks   Jack

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2012, 07:44:17 pm »
This story represents everything that was and is still wrong with GM. The Cadillac product dopes fail to recognize what they have going for them and evolve it over time. The early STS had a good reputation as a quick even cool big sports sedan (several commercial pilots I know drove them). GM could have evolved the STS targeting the 5 Series making a large and slightly-too-angry muscle sedan (sort of like the CTS-V only upmarket). I think there was a time when the market would have supported a comeback for Cadillac. Today the brand is mostly the brunt of jokes and stories about failure.

Judging by the sales of the latest Cadillac I don't see that. I agree they are not the benchmark, but they have improved quite a bit over the last few years.  The CTS, and SRX are selling quite well.  The ATS and XTS (which will be built right here in Oshawa) look very promising.  The generation to generation turnover is looking better and better.  Same can't be said for some other companies, Lincoln, Acura, Lexus (quality may be there, but styling is quite bland)

As for the TSB, seems to be only the SUV cousins, and the Cadillac CTS and STS, does not mention Malibu, or Impala, or Camaro.

Yup, I have never heard this about a GM car before:

"Well, admittedly the last car was a total dud but we can be sure the new one will be the greatest car ever built, as good as anything else in the world. The old, bad cars were from the old GM, the new cars from the good, new GM."

Excuse my skeptical mind on this one.  I will pass on any GM model until we have ten years of high reliability ratings from both CR and JD Power.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Online sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2012, 09:17:25 pm »
This story represents everything that was and is still wrong with GM. The Cadillac product dopes fail to recognize what they have going for them and evolve it over time. The early STS had a good reputation as a quick even cool big sports sedan (several commercial pilots I know drove them). GM could have evolved the STS targeting the 5 Series making a large and slightly-too-angry muscle sedan (sort of like the CTS-V only upmarket). I think there was a time when the market would have supported a comeback for Cadillac. Today the brand is mostly the brunt of jokes and stories about failure.

Judging by the sales of the latest Cadillac I don't see that. I agree they are not the benchmark, but they have improved quite a bit over the last few years.  The CTS, and SRX are selling quite well.  The ATS and XTS (which will be built right here in Oshawa) look very promising.  The generation to generation turnover is looking better and better.  Same can't be said for some other companies, Lincoln, Acura, Lexus (quality may be there, but styling is quite bland)

As for the TSB, seems to be only the SUV cousins, and the Cadillac CTS and STS, does not mention Malibu, or Impala, or Camaro.

"Well, admittedly the last car was a total dud but we can be sure the new one will be the greatest car ever built, as good as anything else in the world. The old, bad cars were from the old GM, the new cars from the good, new GM."

Excuse my skeptical mind on this one.  I will pass on any GM model until we have ten years of high reliability ratings from both CR and JD Power.

I'm a sceptic as well. In my case it's more of a "once bitten twice shy" sort of thing.  ;)
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2012, 07:43:29 am »

I'm a sceptic as well. In my case it's more of a "once bitten twice shy" sort of thing.  ;)
So is another MB in your future ?

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2012, 03:14:20 pm »

BARRIE; this is your re-entry thread!!!!

New operators.  They'll let you back in.   :flowers:

Really, banning Barrie was a huge mistakes. There must have been thousands of hits a day just to read his posts!

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2012, 10:19:00 pm »
These Northstar engines were an early attempt at modern light- weight small V-8 engines...If I'm not incorrect, they are smooth little operators...The main problem with them used to be blown head gaskets, caused by faulty head bolts...The fix was costly...I'm not sure if this was ever addressed by re-design....There is no mention of this flaw in the article...It was fairly pervasive in early editions of this engine.

Actually, Not quite what the issue was. It was worse, if you ask me. The aluminum used for the block just kinda powdered apart, so the bolts pulled right out. Made repairs nigh onto impossible. Plus, GM backed the timing WAY off on these things, so they didn't produce much power and and the gas mileage bit on them. To top it off, they made them pretty well impossible to tune, so even the aftermarket couldn't get much power out of them.
Kinda sad, because the basic design was quite sound, they made great noises and were very smooth. And the 4T80 transmission worked well with it, except for the fact that it was a gear or two short.
They made changes in 2000 and 2004, which were supposed to solve the problems. Who knows.
And don't ask how I learned all these things....  ::)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 06:52:55 am by Erik »
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2012, 10:21:56 pm »
^^^^Which Northstar car did you have again?  Pontiac?? 

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
Used Vehicle Review: Cadillac STS, 2005-2011
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2012, 07:04:12 am »
The LD8. It was the torquier, but lower hp (275) version of the Northstar.  In the GXP, which was a STS under the skin, except for the magnetic shocks, they gave it the shorter final drive, at 3.71 or something. Made it the quickest of the N* sedans off the line, but gave up some of the high rpm pull of the STS.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 07:06:08 am by Erik »

Offline Neromanceres

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +26/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Volt, 2013 Sonic, Former 2013 Volt
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2012, 09:14:09 am »
I am going to bet on the ATS as being a good car - lots of potential.

As a young guy who would spend money on small sports sedan and wants something different than a 335 I would/will take a hard look at it.

ATS-V with the new 5.5 LSX would be VERY nice thing.

I don't think the ATS-V will have a V8.  I'm betting on the new Twin Turbo 3.6L V6.  A tonne of reviews were released yesterday (GM media curtain) on the ATS and they look very good for the most part.

Next year the new larger BMW 5 series sized CTS will be launched (probably at NAIAS or New York) and based on the reviews of the ATS I saw I say bring it on.