Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Suzuki Grand Vitara  (Read 13108 times)

Offline chuchupika

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Jetta
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Suzuki Grand Vitara
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 10:14:12 pm »
Suzuki really need to put in a beefier engine into a hatchback and rival the WRX.  Then build a CUV that's cool but functional.  They also need to win more IIHS safety awards.  Offer good rates for leasing/financing with good pricing.  The Kizashi is a good car if they dump the CVT, if they want a fun to drive car. 

None issue for dealer network.  Just piggyback with motorcycle dealers. 

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 10:25:00 pm »
None issue for dealer network.  Just piggyback with motorcycle dealers.

:think:   :rofl2:   :bang:

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 12:41:52 am »
I enjoyed the article and thought it was a fair evaluation.  One angle it overlooked was the fact that the Grand Vitara is the only small suv with a longitudinal engine.  Partly due to that, it has a perfect weight distribution on the wheels.  And due to that, it is inherently better in bad conditions.

if you're referring to lateral weight distribution, all Subarus also feature an even weight split side to side and therefore equal weight on the wheels.

The Grand Vitara is equal side-to-side and end-to-end.  900lb on each tire.  I suppose Subarus are balanced side-to-side because the boxer engine is longitudinal.  Transverse engine suv's end up unbalanced on the front end because of the arrangement of the engine and transmission, besides being nose heavy.  As perfect balance is a hallmark of the best sportscars, it's too bad Suzuki didn't try to make anything of this.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 12:43:36 am »
not a bad vehicle, but this class has so many great ones in it...we need a 2013 GV vs 2014 Forester competition. ;D

So far as I know, few people know exactly what the 2013 Grand Vitara will be.  It seems certain it will be based on the Kizashi platform.  Less certain is that there will be two lengths.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 12:50:15 am »
  Like Rav4's with 261hp. 

You would use that TQ of the V6 every single day.  Low range gearing?  Not so much....

I suppose I could have used a better example of features people spend extra money for, that have no more utility than the Grand Vitara's low range.  Every pickup truck ad I see touts both the toughness and the car-ishness of the trucks.  Many people buy pickups for the image promoted by the marketing, who will never push the trucks to their "ruggedness" limits.  My point was that Suzuki had legitimate grounds for similar marketing of the Grand Vitara.  The problem was that there was no particular reason to buy a Grand Vitara using only the criteria and image applicable to every other small suv.

Offline Woohoo!

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 12:54:47 am »
I think Suzuki missed the boat with the Grand Vitara by not inventing a splashy name for the drivetrain, and marketing it like all the other manufacturers market features most people never need.  Consider the fancy names other manufacturers use to market arguably less capable awd/4wd systems.

I totally agree with you X-Traction. Suzuki isn't into branding every component in their vehicles, creating that artificial "gotta-have-it-to-be-cool" feeling. Suzuki's failure is not about their products, but about how it markets them. Unfortunately, if it isn't new it isn't good anymore to the modern consumer... like saying an iPhone 3 today is a piece of junk.
twitter.com/mdeslauriers

Offline Flinter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +44/-30
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 128i, 2017 Kia RIO EX, 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4WDGMC Sierra
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2013, 07:40:25 am »
I think Suzuki missed the boat with the Grand Vitara by not inventing a splashy name for the drivetrain, and marketing it like all the other manufacturers market features most people never need.  Consider the fancy names other manufacturers use to market arguably less capable awd/4wd systems.

I totally agree with you X-Traction. Suzuki isn't into branding every component in their vehicles, creating that artificial "gotta-have-it-to-be-cool" feeling. Suzuki's failure is not about their products, but about how it markets them. Unfortunately, if it isn't new it isn't good anymore to the modern consumer... like saying an iPhone 3 today is a piece of junk.

I'm certainly no marketing guru but I have to agree with that comment. In today's auto market if you don't offer a unique value proposition (reputation for reliability, longer waranty, features/content vs price)  and if you don't spend serious money to promote your products, your time will be short.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2013, 12:49:18 pm »
I liked the GV from a few years ago as it was unique in the equipment that could be packaged: manual transmission, V6, low-range gear, mid-$20s pricing (with room for haggling) and a fairly decent looking vehicle. What prevented it from making the short list was the V6: relatively lower power amongst V6s AND relatively poor fuel economy; less than average cargo room with second row seats up; and curb-swinging cargo door, which for me was an issue as I often would load/unload parallel parked in the city.

If shopping today the 2013 still falls short in cargo capacity and rear-door convenience for my needs.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2013, 01:36:36 pm »
So far as I know, few people know exactly what the 2013 Grand Vitara will be.  It seems certain it will be based on the Kizashi platform.  Less certain is that there will be two lengths.
um, the 2013 GV is what this test drive review is about??...did you mean 2014 GV?
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2013, 03:56:00 pm »
Good review.  Terrible vehicle colour.  :hurl:

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2013, 11:26:24 pm »
um, the 2013 GV is what this test drive review is about??...did you mean 2014 GV?

Oops

Offline sparky

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2013, 01:19:16 pm »
I enjoyed the article and thought it was a fair evaluation.  One angle it overlooked was the fact that the Grand Vitara is the only small suv with a longitudinal engine.  Partly due to that, it has a perfect weight distribution on the wheels.  And due to that, it is inherently better in bad conditions.

if you're referring to lateral weight distribution, all Subarus also feature an even weight split side to side and therefore equal weight on the wheels.
No, he's talking about a much more important factor: front-rear weight distribution. Subies are balanced from side to side, which is nice, I guess, but they are nose heavy, so they understeer entering corners and oversteer coming out, if the footing is slippery. Grand Vitara is 50-50 front to rear, making it a very neutral, very sure-footed handler.

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2013, 09:10:46 am »
One would need to be either extremely brave or extremely foolhardy to buy a Suzuki vehicle right now. Their dealer network has the reputation of being slightly above ambulance-chasing lawyers in terms of business practices.
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2013, 01:31:43 am »
One would need to be either extremely brave or extremely foolhardy to buy a Suzuki vehicle right now. Their dealer network has the reputation of being slightly above ambulance-chasing lawyers in terms of business practices.

As a Suzuki owner, I didn't have that impression.  My impression is that wherever they are in the dealership tier, they keep disappearing.  The latest to go under in our area was operated by one of the largest multi-brand dealer networks in BC - Jim Pattison Suzuki.  Yes, it doesn't look good for Suzuki Canada, but weren't they here before opening in the US?  And why didn't they close Suzuki Canada when the US side shut down?  I dunno.

Offline sparky

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2013, 10:31:02 am »
Well, optimistic, anyway. I actually bought a Grand Vitara just before the U.S. pullout. Oops. Then my dealer converted to another brand. Oops again. But I'm still very happy with the vehicle. The dealership is trustworthy and competent, has kept all its Suzuki-specific  equipment, and will perform all routine maintenance for me. If I need a warranty repair (unlikely, I hope), they will ship it to an authorized dealer and give me a loaner.
By getting a GV, I got a vehicle that is the equal of any small ute at the routine chores, superior when things get slippery, rough and nasty, and cost many thousands less than anything comparable. It really is a very fine vehicle.