Author Topic: First Drive: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe  (Read 29600 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe
« on: March 06, 2012, 04:04:40 am »

Ramped-up power, increased sophistication and a more exploitable chassis make the '13 Genesis Coupe more enjoyable to drive.

Read More...

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 05:56:02 am »
Oh that sounds good!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
Re: First Drive: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 06:06:25 am »
If Mazda's "face" makes some people uncomfortable, I wonder what effect this guppy mouth will have?  Still, I found the old face a bit generic, so this adds a bit of welcome edginess.  The technical specifications are quite an improvement and at no obvious penalty to fuel economy.   

I wonder what TB thinks of the changes.  Where is he, anyway?

This car is a nice alternative to North American pony cars!

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 06:29:01 am »
I'm never going to be buying a car in this class but a couple of things stand out.

First is the comment "the chassis is brilliant".  Has anyone ever seen that in a Hyundai or Kia review before?  Usually there is reference to a not completely sorted out chassis and one that can make noise and be harsh.  If the chassis has been buttoned down to the degree that Peter implies then this car moves into killer territory.

I'd probably take the t4 as who really needs or even wants the extra hp and it must come at a price of a less well balanced car.  If the R is as refined as Peter says then that would be the way to go to get the limited slip dif.

I'm not up on what $28k buys in this sector but it seems to me this is a tremendous price/content/performance proposition.  Well finished and refined would seem to seal the deal.

If Hyundai applies this final level of refinement to its other Genesis and upper end models, it would have to be a matter of concern for every other high end manufacturer no matter how much value is assigned to the nameplate.

Cheers,
John M.

ps I've driven up to Mt. Charleston and it is a beautiful drive.  From the top, the desert valley looks like moonscape.  If you have to spend time in Las Vegas and are looking for relief, this drive is highly recommended.  Note that if the roads are icy, really dial it back.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 02:44:03 pm by JohnM »

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12342
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 06:37:23 am »
Not a fan of the new nose or fake hood scoops, but I'm a big fan of everything else. Big power bump, upgraded interior, improved refinement. Good stuff

I've seen a couple YouTube video and found the new style less off-putting watching the cars whip around a track, versus looking at static photos.  The V6 sounds terrific.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 06:42:26 am »
I can get use to the manta ray front end, but the centre stack look cartoonish, Roger Rabbit anyone

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 07:34:29 am »
Too bad about dumping the 3.8 model, especially in Canada and northern US climates. Not only does it add about $ 5k to the price for someone who wants to get a V6 (compared against the existing model), it makes finding reasonable wheels and snows that fit over the Brembos difficult if not impossible. And don't forget the harsher suspension and bigger wheels that come with the GT.

I wonder what percentage of potential V6 buyers want the car for summer only and track use, vs. those who want a luxury sports cruiser. I would think the turbo would be the summer track choice and the V6 the cruiser. One thing is for sure, a friend who was going to trade his V6 Genesis Coupe is really p!$$ed off by Hyundai and will no longer be a Hyundai customer soon - he's actively looking elsewhere.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 07:36:07 am by dougjp »

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-451
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 07:45:59 am »
I'm really impressed with this car.  I know that a lot of people are going to bad mouth it for the new front end but it's similar to the Veloster and they can't keep those on their lot so I think it won't be an issue for Hyundai.  I like that Hyundai actually listened to their customers and made changes where they were needed.  The added performance from the turbo was a must, dialing in the handling a bit more is good, offering the R spec version in Canada was needed (it was offered in US since it came out in 2009), putting a 6-speed tranny in the turbo, and making a much better interior.

Sure this vehicle will do well against the competition like Mustang V6, 370Z, and BRZ, but really the only one it truly beats up is the 370Z.  I say this because the V6 Mustang is so much cheaper (base price under $22,000) and the BRZ will beat it in all handling characteristics.  The 370Z will suffer because it's more expensive and not a better performer.  That being said it will be interesting to see a proper comparo of these vehicles. 

I'm not a fan of them increasing the price but I know they are improving the vehicle.  I think they increased the price to offset this cost of production but also to offer more room for the Veloster Turbo, which I'm guessing will be around the $24,500 starting price.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 07:50:47 am »
Too bad about dumping the 3.8 model, especially in Canada and northern US climates. Not only does it add about $ 5k to the price for someone who wants to get a V6 (compared against the existing model), it makes finding reasonable wheels and snows that fit over the Brembos difficult if not impossible. And don't forget the harsher suspension and bigger wheels that come with the GT.

I wonder what percentage of potential V6 buyers want the car for summer only and track use, vs. those who want a luxury sports cruiser. I would think the turbo would be the summer track choice and the V6 the cruiser. One thing is for sure, a friend who was going to trade his V6 Genesis Coupe is really p!$$ed off by Hyundai and will no longer be a Hyundai customer soon - he's actively looking elsewhere.
I have a problem with people who buy these vehicles or any RWD sports car and NOT have another vehicle to drive in the winter.  Seriously if you can't afford having a second vehicle for winter use don't buy the sports car.  There's some jacka$$ on my block who has a new Mustang GT and drives it in the winter.  If you can only afford one vehicle and want a sports car get a WRX or EVO, that way you can actually play safe in the winter and get great performance in the summer.

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Nissan Sentra (AKA The Toaster)
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 07:55:48 am »
Dear Hyundai,
Please take this chassis and powertrain and find a way to put an appealing 4 door body on top of it.

Signed ,
Someone who can't afford a BMW

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 08:17:39 am »
Who is tony?  The v6 is cancelled ?  RWD is deadly in the winter?  WTF is everyone on about?  Lol

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 08:21:19 am »
Who is tony?  The v6 is cancelled ?  RWD is deadly in the winter?  WTF is everyone on about?  Lol

I think they mean there's no longer a base 3.8 model. There's now only one trim level of V6, the fully-loaded 3.8 GT.
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 08:23:12 am »

I have a problem with people who buy these vehicles or any RWD sports car and NOT have another vehicle to drive in the winter.  Seriously if you can't afford having a second vehicle for winter use don't buy the sports car.  There's some jacka$$ on my block who has a new Mustang GT and drives it in the winter.  If you can only afford one vehicle and want a sports car get a WRX or EVO, that way you can actually play safe in the winter and get great performance in the summer.

There are lots of RWD cars around now, more than in recent years (thankfully). Years ago when I happened to have a Mustang GT (as I do now, driven year around), there was no traction control or stability control, and tire technology was way worse than now. There's no problem for people who know how to drive for the conditions and have the right tires and wheels. So apparently you do have a "problem", and will have to explain your impediment an awful lot better than this first feeble attempt. And, to a whole lot of people who take offense to your ignorance and being called, as you so carefully chose it, a jacka$$. Having used the term, however, now I'm free to label you as just that.     
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 08:28:26 am by dougjp »

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 08:30:32 am »

This is one of the most obtuse comments I've read here in a while. With proper snows RWD in the winter is not an issue at all. Evil Twin on this board had a 2005 Mustang GT and drove it every winter with no issues. We even drove up to Collingwood together one weekend in a horrible snowstorm and it was fine.

Yup, I've had no issues with my 128i. It has good snows on it and does absolutely fine.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 08:32:27 am »

This is one of the most obtuse comments I've read here in a while. With proper snows RWD in the winter is not an issue at all. Evil Twin on this board had a 2005 Mustang GT and drove it every winter with no issues. We even drove up to Collingwood together one weekend in a horrible snowstorm and it was fine.

I drove my RX-8 for two winters on snows.  Times stuck 0, Times spun out 0, Fun had - infinite.  I have the complete opposite view of Johnny Mac, I hate when people buy a sporty car/sports car and store it in the winter.  Something that is very expensive or very powerful like a Ferrari or SLS or even a Z06 Corvette I get.  I also get purpose built roadster/track toys like an Elise or S2000.

But Mustang GTs, 370s, G37 coupes, Camaros, Genesis coupes should be driven all year round (unless in a complete snowbelt)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 09:07:56 am »

I am also confused again  :o

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 09:09:47 am »
Some very nice upgrades indeed, especially the nice bump in power.  The front doesn't seem to be a favourite here but I actually don't mind it.  I didn't care for it at all at first, but once I got to see it on a Velostar in the flesh, I thought it looked very nice.  I agree with Jaeger though, those hood scoops gotta go.  While this competes with the 370Z in terms of power, I wonder how it stacks up in terms of driving dynamics?  The 370z performs exceptionally well in that regard so I think it would make for an interesting comparo.  I think Hyundai should offer the Genesis in a drop top version too.  :)
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 09:36:13 am »
I should say that the jacka$$ I'm refering to has a 2011 Mustang GT convertable with the same rims and tires he drives in the summer.  He frequently has a hard time getting into his driveway and he doesn't have a garage.  I've been behind him a few times this winter and he's all over the place and generally a liability behind the wheel. 

Here in the maritimes most people don't know how to drive in the winter period, either going too fast (pickup truck drivers) or way too slow (getting stuck going up a small incline).  Most don't have winter tires and stick with their all seasons.  There are those who are capable of driving in the winter with a sports car, who have proper winter tires and rims, and who know how to handle a RWD vehicle.  I'm speaking in general that most people don't know how to and should not have their sports car out during the winter time.  Personally I wouldn't have a sports car as my only vehicle no matter how much I love them.  I can admit that both me and my wife wouldn't be too comfortable driving a RWD vehicle in the winter even with the best winter tires money can buy.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12342
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 09:36:31 am »

I haven't a clue.  As usual.  :P  I'd sooner share the winter road with an RWD sports car on quality winter rubber than some behemoth SUV running all-seasons on the theory that AWD conquers the laws of physics.

I'd love to see a 370z head-to-head comparison also.  I suspect the Z would still hold the edge on the track, but I bet it's a closer contest now.  And I suspect the GC would prove to be more liveable off-track, while also offering room for a small child or two in the back "seat".  And cost a bunch less.  Should make for a good contest.

Jaeger

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 09:53:59 am »
Oh that does make a good comparison.... Wonder if the powers at Nissan and Hyundai would mind a day at the track....