Author Topic: How's that Ram 1500 working out for you?  (Read 4083 times)

Offline Calbrez

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +2/-10
    • View Profile
How's that Ram 1500 working out for you?
« on: October 17, 2017, 06:28:07 am »
Hey folks, I am considering this vehicle.  I would like to hear from Dodge Ram owners - especially those that own the re-modled version and particularly from the diesel owners.  How has your ownership experience been?  I don't care to hear about the dealership service experience (i've heard it sucks but I have my own mechanic who services all sorts of pickups) - rather I would like to know how reliable or unreliable it has been and how you find the driving experience and overall ownership experience. Finally, I'd like to hear from others who would consider the alternatives - the F150 and the GM products..

I get the sense that (loyalty aside) the big 3 make competent and comparable products - it just comes down to personal taste I suppose... Or is there a significant difference?

Thanks!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: How's that Ram 1500 working out for you?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 06:34:23 am »
I don't think there a bad truck out there

The trades that I know that have the Ecodiesel think they are great

Get the truck you like driving the most

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 08:55:55 am »
The current gen is old and on its way out - if you buy one of these now, it will be outdated in no time. Only consideration in my opinion would be poor crash tests ratings...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 09:14:23 am »
Wrong forum...I don't think anyone on here owns a RAM.  Try a RAM specific forum, probably get better results.  My buddy owns an older Cummins model...he wanted one of the new ecodiesels, until he read they were crap.  But, like anything else, only the people who have problems are going to go on the internet and complain, thereby making all models of said vehicle crap if you read them.   My neighbour bought a HEMI because after owning a diesel he didn't want the expenses (oil changes are rich) and problems a diesel brought with it.  Rather avoid it than see if it worked out.  Gotta admit, it sounds bitchin' too. 

Agree with the crash test ratings...go F150 if you like your legs.

Offline Calbrez

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 10:28:54 pm »
thanks...  didn't know they had poor crash test ratings... Just messaged a friend who I haven't seen in 2 years... he bought an eco diesel (2015 I think) brand new... he's put on 90K and says he's had no problems... he did mention the costly oil changes ($200 at a dealership) but he now goes to an independent for less. Also it need a change every 15K so that lessens the cost.. Not a big deal.. Anyhow, I may be able to get  a really good discount if and when I buy as a family member is a long time employee of at Chrysler.. which is why I am curious about it.  Still won't rule out the others, but I'd probably get a used F150 if I wen the Ford route. 

I actually think the Ram is the better looking of the bunch.. saw the Long Horn the other day - gorgeous truck but out of my price range!

cheers

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 12:06:14 am »
I'll give it that...the RAM is def a looker in the right trim.  As for your legs..well, just don't crash! Simple really.  Shoot, get a Power Wagon and you can just drive over everything.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 12:04:07 pm »
the 2019 will be a new truck... but i don't love some of the changes that will be made.

the deals on a ram are pretty phenomenal.

all trucks from all brands are pretty solid right now.

if you have questions, fire em off... i've been selling ram for 17 years and don't mind giving you honest opinions. i try to be unbiased, but i'm sure i have a bit of a lean to ram.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Calbrez

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 12:16:13 pm »
the 2019 will be a new truck... but i don't love some of the changes that will be made.

the deals on a ram are pretty phenomenal.

all trucks from all brands are pretty solid right now.

if you have questions, fire em off... i've been selling ram for 17 years and don't mind giving you honest opinions. i try to be unbiased, but i'm sure i have a bit of a lean to ram.

Thanks, tooscoops - I do have a couple of questions...why are the websites so confusing and difficult to read! I am not just pointing out Dodge Ram, but Chevy/GMC is brutal too.. Ford a bit better... I am trying to figure out if the SLT and lower models offer a diesel option.  I think he SLT does but want to confirm this.  I guess I can pop into a dealer and see for myself..

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 04:55:03 pm »
problem is the amount of trucks you can make... 1500, 2500, 3500, reg cab, quad cab, crew cab, short box, long box, 4x2, 4x4. there is just the truck configurations... then add 3.0, 3.6, 5.7, 6 speed, 8 speed on light duty and 5.7, 6.4, 6.7, manual, auto, aisin for drivetrains... and we haven't even touched the hard stuff with packages and options. mathematically, it's over 300000 light duty trucks i can make.

so that is why the websites suck.

on to your question!

the diesel is available on all trims except SXT and sport. the ST model you technically have to go for a "tradesman" which is an ST with a hitch and a spray in bedliner.

getting one is a whole different story though. i have an ecodiesel on my lot for about 45500 right now... slt with a bunch of wacky options (ram box, rubber floor, but 8.4 touchscreen...?) i tried to find a cheaper one out there and couldn't. 2018's can't be ordered, so you are stuck with what is already ordered/out there in a 2017... and yep, 17's are still showing up.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 05:12:05 pm »
problem is the amount of trucks you can make... 1500, 2500, 3500, reg cab, quad cab, crew cab, short box, long box, 4x2, 4x4. there is just the truck configurations... then add 3.0, 3.6, 5.7, 6 speed, 8 speed on light duty and 5.7, 6.4, 6.7, manual, auto, aisin for drivetrains... and we haven't even touched the hard stuff with packages and options. mathematically, it's over 300000 light duty trucks i can make.

on to your question!

the diesel is available on all trims except SXT and sport. the ST model you technically have to go for a "tradesman" which is an ST with a hitch and a spray in bedliner.

getting one is a whole different story though. i have an ecodiesel on my lot for about 45500 right now... slt with a bunch of wacky options (ram box, rubber floor, but 8.4 touchscreen...?) i tried to find a cheaper one out there and couldn't. 2018's can't be ordered, so you are stuck with what is already ordered/out there in a 2017... and yep, 17's are still showing up.

Important distinction:  Is that $45500 before or after the usual rebates and discounts that get applied to every truck?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 05:26:39 pm »

on to your question!

is that for a Laramie ltd ?

Offline kard00d

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 06:08:34 pm »
With my Jetta tdi, I never left the dealer without laying out at least $250..

Also have had a 2011 ram for a few years and is now my daily driver... Liking it more and more as I drive it more and more.

Diesel, with ram box, rubber floor and touch screen sound perfect to me!   If it is crew cab, with front middle seat and full time 4wd even better!

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-434
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 10:58:22 am »
I had a Ram (Bighorn edition) last year and was quite impressed. Torquey 5.7 could light them up and the ride was very good too. Just Too...Damn...Big.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 02:14:16 pm »
Important distinction:  Is that $45500 before or after the usual rebates and discounts that get applied to every truck?

nope, that's after. it's 59652 list price.

is that for a Laramie ltd ?

heh... you know it's not ab. SLT quad 4x4 with protection group, trailer mirrors and brake group, anti-spin, rear defroster, fog lights,  8.4" with nav, 20" wheels, ramboxes, spray in liner... so sorry kard! quad cab, no full time 4x4... 6 rider though... just short legs in the back!