Author Topic: CTC Review: 2007 Volkswagen Jetta GLI  (Read 24144 times)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: CTC Review: 2007 Volkswagen Jetta GLI
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2006, 10:19:17 pm »
SAM, yes it rolls back on hills and it takes a while after you release the brake for it to creep forward like an auto.  I also find it does not move nearly as fast as an auto would.  Most autos get up to 10km/h ish some even more the GLI barely moves it just kind of creeps along enough for you to know it is moving and is somewhat jerky in nature.

It is hard to get everything out in the blogs without overwhelming the reader and writting 1000's of words.  My neighbours and co-workers get a little more info ;) 

One thing I never really got into my blog this week and would like to mention is the fact I think this vehicle would be amazing with the 4-motion all-wheel drive.  Just too much boost for those front wheels to handle.  THe car wouldn't feel right as RWD IMO, but All-wheel would be excellent.

lavalwolf

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2006, 08:12:02 am »
All this talk about pricing, reliability, etc and all the usual suspects get mentioned as an alternative purchase. Owned a 2001 1.8T, wife still has a 2000 2.0. Will never, ever buy another VW(including Audi) product again! Worst reliability of any cars we have ever owned. Current car for the past 13 months and loving it, Subaru Legacy GT (not the limited). Has a reputation for above-average reliability, great performance, 4wd, all for a very interesting price.
If performance (and security, 5 star) are important, this is a car to consider.

Offline JamesP

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2006, 10:07:52 am »
The sticker said "Manager's Special" and it was defiantly not a demo, with 8 KMS on it, and we had to wait for out color choice to come out of Germany. I assume its a similar idea to the Value Editions sold in the USA. 

And it is not as shiny, as it is the base model, missing the chrome around the windows and the alloys.

Fright and PDI were the standard VW charges, and we got a low lease rate, and high residual making the car exceptionally affordable.  But as stated above, any options on the Passat greatly effects the price and affordability.

The GTI to me seems like a better package then the GLI, more sporting, less expensive, and made in Germany versus Mexico.  And IMHO the GTI has better wheel gaps then the GLI, which like the Jetta looks like it needs 2" of drop at all wheels.

And as per the transmission, it was "only" the valve body that needs replacing, sorry for the slight exaggeration, but either way should not be required at the first oil change.  More info on the problem can be found on VW Vortex, regarding hard shifting from gear 1 to gear 2, and it is not an easy fix to "convince" VW that it needs performed. 

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2006, 11:24:03 am »
MAY "I" suggest that if you haven't read Bergeron's Buggererin' 'bout in Boomer
BOXES..threads:)...no Kissy arse...here eh!!?.........then why when we try to read the 4 PART'ers we GET the latest ONE FIRST......that's like reading ..Oh  I dunno a PlayBoy from the CENTRE..OK I Fold on that one...but it would be easier if we were presented with Day 1 First and  so on down the LINE...NO?....CAN i get 5TYRES fer that suggestion ;D ;)..One Flat minor detail.........
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 11:26:25 am by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2006, 03:21:01 pm »
Just make sure you visit every day! Then you won't have to scroll down and read backwards!  ;D
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Nak

« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2006, 01:59:27 am »
Hi folks,

Agree with a fair number of comments here: the new GLI seems to be a nice vehicle in terms of performance, handling, features, etc., yet priced a bit too high for perceived reliability.  (Do you think 12-15% less is more reasonable?)

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy how VWs  handle - my first was a '78 Scirocco (sweet but not for our well-salted roads) then a '91 Passat (again a nice ride but electrics and tranny.... yecch).  Now after many trouble-free years with an Accord EX-R (boring), I'm back to VW with an '03 Jetta 1.8T Tiptronic.  Though a wagon, it handles well. :)  And I feel reliability is improving. :D

The results seem to be in: if someone wants reliable, care and trouble-free motoring, then Japanese or (dare I say it?) Korean is the way to go.  But if one wants some fun, excitement and the abillity to push a little bit further, then German engineering is the route.  (IMO of course.)

I guess that is what keeps me (and perhaps many others) coming back to VW - the ride. 

Cheers.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2006, 06:59:46 pm »
VW with an '03 Jetta 1.8T Tiptronic.  Though a wagon, it handles well. :) 

Those are NICE and somewhat rare with the 1.8T. I would have liked one myself if they weren't so dang much at the time.

I'm thinking... bright red, silver, dark blue, or black?
Do you have the 17"ers?
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!