Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2013 Ford Escape SE 4WD; Day 1  (Read 24268 times)

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2013 Ford Escape SE 4WD; Day 1
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2012, 09:28:16 am »
Your 39k$ makes more sense already than 42k$, but looking at the "U" part of "SUV", I paid 32k$ for my new Ody EX. Not as fun to drive as the full kit Escape, but it has the "U" part quite covered  :) ... looks cool in black, too.

Of course, while the Odyssey may have in the U part covered, the S part remains quite absent.  :)

Anyone making an "S" claim in a CUV or even an SUV is high. Any CUV or an SUV is first and foremost an s(c)Uv

"Sport" in an SUV is hiking, trailing, fishing, rock climbing - any outdoors activity, not track racing. Wouldn't you agree?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 09:36:16 am by whaddaiknow »

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2012, 09:55:07 am »
Compared to a BRZ, for sure.   But within the CUV class there's a wide range of abilities.

Put an X3 through its paces though and it's a surprisingly competent handler.  I'd dare even say sporty.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2012, 10:00:37 am »
Yeah but I believe the original intent of the S actually was to designate what the owners do.  Not what the vehicle can do.  IE: built for outdoorsy people.

That's why it caught on, as everyone wanted to pretend they were cool and outdoorsy.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2012, 10:02:54 am »
Agreed.  The first generation Ford Explorer had nothing to do with sporty.....

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2012, 10:33:05 am »
Comparing the Odyssey to the Escape only makes sense if you buy your cars by the kg or m3. The Odyssey is a bus compared to the Escape and it lacks AWD. I can't imagine anyone cross shopping the two.

A loaded up Escape is in the same ballpark as most of the rest of the CUVs. With the 2L, it's a pretty compelling package.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Northernridge

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2012, 11:18:48 am »
I think the value in the Escape is at the entry-level end of the spectrum. For $40-43k I'm all over the base Q5, GLK, X3, X1, X60, etc. Even the Lexus GX350 starts below 45. I've been in the base GLK and RX350 and both are quite nice even at the entry price point. I just can't see myself (or many) saying no to a $40k X60 in favour of a $40k Escape...even with the difference in equipment.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2012, 11:53:12 am »
I think the value in the Escape is at the entry-level end of the spectrum. For $40-43k I'm all over the base Q5, GLK, X3, X1, X60, etc. Even the Lexus GX350 starts below 45. I've been in the base GLK and RX350 and both are quite nice even at the entry price point. I just can't see myself (or many) saying no to a $40k X60 in favour of a $40k Escape...even with the difference in equipment.

Not everyone has a MB, BMW, Lexus or Volvo dealer handy.
Not everyone is interested in a posh badge.

I dunno. I picked a $40k Subaru over the posh badges. No regrets.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2012, 11:57:57 am »
Your 39k$ makes more sense already than 42k$, but looking at the "U" part of "SUV", I paid 32k$ for my new Ody EX. Not as fun to drive as the full kit Escape, but it has the "U" part quite covered  :) ... looks cool in black, too.

Of course, while the Odyssey may have in the U part covered, the S part remains quite absent.  :)

Anyone making an "S" claim in a CUV or even an SUV is high. Any CUV or an SUV is first and foremost an s(c)Uv

"Sport" in an SUV is hiking, trailing, fishing, rock climbing - any outdoors activity, not track racing. Wouldn't you agree?

My comment was not meant to be taken too seriously, and certainly not literally. Hence the smiley face.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2012, 12:13:27 pm »

I guess, part of the reason you picked the Subaru is for its superior AWD system and great cargo capacity, both incidentally contributing to the "U" is "sUv". It may be an oddball when it comes to certain ergonomic issues, and it's not particularly great on gas but then again it didn't stop you 'cause that's not the reason you bought it. I'd pick the Outback over the Escape anyday if I were in the market for an SUV, poor gas mileage notwithstanding.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2012, 12:15:43 pm »
I think the value in the Escape is at the entry-level end of the spectrum.

Is there any vehicle where the most expensive version represents the best value?

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2012, 12:19:02 pm »

Is there any vehicle where the most expensive version represents the best value?

There are vehicles where the most expensive version can be justified. Not in a jacked-up Focus with AWD for $40k.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2012, 12:29:17 pm »

There are vehicles where the most expensive version can be justified. Not in a jacked-up Focus with AWD for $40k.

Name some. And tell us why they are a better value than the lower priced versions.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2012, 01:18:05 pm »

Name some. And tell us why they are a better value than the lower priced versions.

I didn't say there were cars where the most expensive versions represented better "value". I said they were "justified". Read.
Escape is a "budget" brand so there must be a reasonable threshold beyond which it stops making sense.

You wouldn't consider buying a townhome that had gold toilets installed throughout with a 200% markup with additional, and mandatory, butler service at $500/mo on top of regular condo fees, now would you?

And yet, it would be perfectly fine and expected in a $100M mansion.

I can see it from the marketing perspective where you tell your customers "Look, it's the same $40k car you see over there but you can have it for $29,900 OTD, you just won't have some of the crap tacked on that one that you probably don't need anyway". That would make SOME customers feel better about themselves that they are shopping in a $40k bracket.

So, a jacked up Focus with AWD at $40k makes no sense.

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 VW Golf Wagon, 2012 Mini Cooper convertible, 2006 Ninja 650R
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2012, 01:18:48 pm »

+1. Makes people feel outdoorsy as Wing says... but I've gone mountain biking, hiking and rock climbing a lot (well, scrambling) and our old minivan was far more "utilitarian" than an SUV - we could shove the bikes right in the back... Lounge back there during a rain shower... and sticking to roads, even logging roads, got me whereever we needed. SUVs, minivans, neither are sporty, unless you go only by the ads.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2012, 01:23:56 pm »

I didn't say there were cars where the most expensive versions represented better "value". I said they were "justified". Read.

blah, blah, blah

I could suggest the same thing to you. The conversation started out talking about value. You decided to chime in about "justifying" instead.

Anything can be justified without the need for any rational argument. "I like it better" is perfect justification. Of course, it doesn't mean much in any kind of objective discussion.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2012, 01:25:16 pm »

I guess, part of the reason you picked the Subaru is for its superior AWD system and great cargo capacity, both incidentally contributing to the "U" is "sUv". It may be an oddball when it comes to certain ergonomic issues, and it's not particularly great on gas but then again it didn't stop you 'cause that's not the reason you bought it. I'd pick the Outback over the Escape anyday if I were in the market for an SUV, poor gas mileage notwithstanding.

True enough, and I also like the local Subaru dealer, both for sales and service.

If there wasn't one in town though, I wouldn't have had any qualms about getting an Escape. It's got a better interior and a far superior infotainment system. In 90% of day to day driving, the differences in the AWD system wouldn't be noticed. I would definitely not get the $37k, 2.5i Outback Limited with the rude and crude CVT.

Edit. Come to think of it, the Escape has a nicer exterior too. :)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 01:35:15 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »

Offline Think123

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2012, 01:42:26 pm »

[/quote]

So a jacked up C-class (GLK), S60 (XC/60, I believe), 3 series (X1 and first gen X3), A4 (Q5), Tiguan (Golf) etc., all costing $5 to $25k more to get the same content make sense?

Northernridge

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2012, 01:42:47 pm »

:iagree:  Harsher than I might have said it but yup.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2012, 01:45:45 pm »

So a jacked up C-class (GLK), S60 (XC/60, I believe), 3 series (X1 and first gen X3), A4 (Q5), Tiguan (Golf) etc., all costing $5 to $25k more to get the same content make sense?

But, but, but...the BADGE!  :rofl2:

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2012, 01:48:09 pm »

[/quote]

It absolutely does. For starters, GLK comes with a DI 3.5 V6 cranking out more than 300HP. X1 starts WELL below $40k, and if you lease it and factor in free maintenance for 4 years it becomes a downright bargain compared to the jacked-up Focus. Content is irrelevant at this point

And as Sir O said, the badge is there too.