Poll

What should Heli do?

So you missed the sale, boo-hoo. It's only fifty bucks - suck it up.
9 (30%)
That's outrageous! It's false advertising and you should complain to the government.
4 (13.3%)
Unitronic sucks. Just forget it and buy a tune from someone else.
13 (43.3%)
Who needs a tune? Just skip the whole thing and save $550. (I put this one in for Rupert. ;) )
4 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: GTI tune, or Yeah, I'm a Cheapskate.  (Read 17881 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: GTI tune, or Yeah, I'm a Cheapskate.
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2017, 09:32:21 pm »
And the 210 km/h speed limiter is removed as well: I'll have to pick my time and place to check that one out extremely carefully.  :shuffle:

There's still a few places that you can run that out, but damn, they're getting rarer.  One of my old faves now has "patrolled by aircraft" signs all over it.  I wonder if they really do, but it would be a bummer to find out by getting your car impounded!

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2017, 09:36:07 pm »
Whew!  I dodged a bullet here!   ;D  Yea, it's funny...your brain is tricked into thinking there's "lag" because full boost is so much more now.  Funny.

I think I also recommended the tires you're using??

Yes, I do believe you're a big A/S3+ slappy as well.  ;)

So far I'm liking them. For around here, I think they're a smart choice. Just a few days ago (almost the middle of June!) it was plus 3, raining hard, and with a few large flakes of snow here and there.  :P  Seems smart to have a tire with a modicum of all-season ability, even in summer.

I do notice that they squeal a bit around corners, at speeds that were totally silent on my past summer performance rubber, but that doesn't really bother me. I don't mind a few chirps to let me know what's going on. I also don't mind leaving a bit of grip on the table: the important thing to me is how they feel, and so far I'm impressed.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2017, 09:47:31 pm »
And the 210 km/h speed limiter is removed as well: I'll have to pick my time and place to check that one out extremely carefully.  :shuffle:

There's still a few places that you can run that out, but damn, they're getting rarer.  One of my old faves now has "patrolled by aircraft" signs all over it.  I wonder if they really do, but it would be a bummer to find out by getting your car impounded!

I made a trip down to Sweet Grass, MT to pick up some parcels a month ago. Four lanes, divided, clear sightlines for miles ahead and off to both sides (bald ass prairie), and you could drive for minutes at a time without seeing another vehicle. I may have seen triple digits on the speedo, and the first digit may have been a 2...

I'm not 100% sure, but don't think the planes get used much, if at all. I've never seen one, and also never seen a bunch of pulled-over cars without also seeing a cop with a radar gun. My guess is that they can pick off as many speeders as they can handle just by using old school cops with radar. Why bother with the expense of planes?

Oh, and last time I drove to BC, I noticed a new sign at the border: apparently BC will now impound your car if you're caught doing 40 km/h over the limit.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2017, 09:55:40 pm »
They used to use aircraft all the time between Edmonton and Calgary.  But, I haven't seen an aircraft trap in a long time - the signs on highway 11 out by Nordegg are fairly new and I suspect they're deterrent signs.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2017, 09:59:58 pm »
Oh, and last time I drove to BC, I noticed a new sign at the border: apparently BC will now impound your car if you're caught doing 40 km/h over the limit.

That's been the law for some time there, but now more signs to warn you.  It's 50 over in Alberta, and has been forever.  I got nabbed at 241 in a 100 zone a long, long time ago and got into a legal wrangle that included mandatory court dates, etc.  Cost me bucks for a lawyer, but walked out with no fines and my license in hand, so worth every penny.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2017, 10:13:49 pm »
Whew!  I dodged a bullet here!   ;D  Yea, it's funny...your brain is tricked into thinking there's "lag" because full boost is so much more now.  Funny.

I think I also recommended the tires you're using??

Yes, I do believe you're a big A/S3+ slappy as well.  ;)

So far I'm liking them. For around here, I think they're a smart choice. Just a few days ago (almost the middle of June!) it was plus 3, raining hard, and with a few large flakes of snow here and there.  :P  Seems smart to have a tire with a modicum of all-season ability, even in summer.

I do notice that they squeal a bit around corners, at speeds that were totally silent on my past summer performance rubber, but that doesn't really bother me. I don't mind a few chirps to let me know what's going on. I also don't mind leaving a bit of grip on the table: the important thing to me is how they feel, and so far I'm impressed.

Whew!  I've dodged 2 bullets with you.   ;D
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2017, 08:47:46 am »
Interesting on the tires... That's what I was considering for the Mazda 3...I don't get any howling on the OEM Turanzas, so I can't imagine the car is quick enough to overcome the A/S3s

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2017, 04:15:35 pm »
cough...cough....get one of these https://shop.quaife.co.uk/catalogsearch/advanced/result/?vehicle=4&product_type=11&sub_type=16&manufacturer=73&model=80&q= cough....cough

Yeah, that would be really cool. Not going to happen, though, unless maybe the stock diff blows up and needs replacing anyway...

I'm just Stage 1 and I think the car deals with the extra torque okay, but I did do some suspension work (bushings and stuff) a couple years ago that made a surprising difference in getting the power down. Not planning on any further tunes, but if I was, I'd for sure be putting in a proper LSD first.

Not really looking to turn it into a project car. Just want a practical daily driver with a bit of fun.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2017, 07:22:44 pm »
cough...cough....get one of these https://shop.quaife.co.uk/catalogsearch/advanced/result/?vehicle=4&product_type=11&sub_type=16&manufacturer=73&model=80&q= cough....cough

Yeah, that would be really cool. Not going to happen, though, unless maybe the stock diff blows up and needs replacing anyway...

I'm just Stage 1 and I think the car deals with the extra torque okay, but I did do some suspension work (bushings and stuff) a couple years ago that made a surprising difference in getting the power down. Not planning on any further tunes, but if I was, I'd for sure be putting in a proper LSD first.

Not really looking to turn it into a project car. Just want a practical daily driver with a bit of fun.
Looking for a brake upgrade?  I have some rotors, calipers and pads coming off my '08 TT that should bolt right up!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2017, 07:27:40 pm »

Looking for a brake upgrade?  I have some rotors, calipers and pads coming off my '08 TT that should bolt right up!

PM me the details...guy at work has a Stage 2+ GTI.  He might be interested.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2017, 01:46:21 am »
Thanks, but think I'll sit tight with the current brakes. I did pads, rotors and added a Tyrolsport caliper stiffening kit two years ago, so the brakes are decent enough.

GLWS!