Author Topic: M2 to M road test  (Read 5987 times)

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
M2 to M road test
« on: May 11, 2011, 11:26:06 am »
Has anyone in Ontario recently taken the road test to upgrade a motorcycle license from M2 to a full M? 

My M2 expires next summer, in 2012.  I know appointments can be hard to get, so I didn't want to leave it to the last minute and let it expire.  Even so, I can't get an appointment in Ottawa this year by the look of it.  But I was able to get one in Smith's Falls on June 14th.

If anyone has done it recently, I'm just wondering what to expect on the test.  Also, how do they do it, does someone follow you in a car or on another bike?

Thanks!
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

vdk

Re: M2 to M road test
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 11:35:06 am »
Has anyone in Ontario recently taken the road test to upgrade a motorcycle license from M2 to a full M? 

My M2 expires next summer, in 2012.  I know appointments can be hard to get, so I didn't want to leave it to the last minute and let it expire.  Even so, I can't get an appointment in Ottawa this year by the look of it.  But I was able to get one in Smith's Falls on June 14th.

If anyone has done it recently, I'm just wondering what to expect on the test.  Also, how do they do it, does someone follow you in a car or on another bike?

Thanks!

I know in Toronto they give you a walkie with a headset you put in your ear. That`s how the examiners tells you what to do. He/she will follow you in a car.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 01:21:18 pm »
I know in Toronto they give you a walkie with a headset you put in your ear. That`s how the examiners tells you what to do. He/she will follow you in a car.

+1.
I took my test in East end Ottawa about a year ago, and the two examiners followed me in the car giving me instructions and directions. They were very friendly and I passed without a problem (I don't consider my skill level anywhere near Rossi).
One important thing to remember, the instructions may not always sound clear, so if you're unsure, don't fret and keep moving in the same direction. The examiners will alter the course and there will be no deductions (unless you just play dumb and keep doing it over and over). Another situation may be when a car suddenly appears in your lane where the examiners told you to move (you are going within speed limit, remember?, while others are going 20 km/h over). Safety always over instructions. They will recognize that and there will be no penalty.

ALWAYS stay in the right lane unless to pass a slow moving vehicle and ONLY within the legal speed limit (if you're on a sport bike they may cut you a break if you briefly go over by a few km/h when merging or accelerating).

When stopping and just before starting off, check both sides (the examiners must see you turn your head). Remember the blocking position at intersections and the correct tire track in the lane.

At the end of the test, both examiners pointed out on a couple of things that I could improve, wished me safe motoring and sent me on my way.

Good luck on the test.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 01:23:15 pm by whaddaiknow »

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 02:01:29 pm »
^^Thanks for the info! 

Was there any slow speed manouvering, or just out on the road and into traffic?

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 12:03:44 am »
^^Thanks for the info! 

Was there any slow speed manouvering, or just out on the road and into traffic?
No slow speed maneuvering, just regular driving on the road with traffic.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 09:17:59 am »
I had my test yesterday, I passed. 

I only lost points on 2 things.  At one point the road widened, but was still only 1 lane.  I was too far to the left, but I think I was trying to avoid riding over a long bit of tar strip at the time.  The other thing was when I came into a 60 zone from an 80 zone, I slowed down ok, but only by dropping a gear.  I forgot to touch the brakes to get the brake light to come on.

I even got cut off, and had a woman swerve into my lane during the test.

Thanks for the info guys!   :cheers:

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 11:31:42 am »
I had my test yesterday, I passed. 

I only lost points on 2 things.  At one point the road widened, but was still only 1 lane.  I was too far to the left, but I think I was trying to avoid riding over a long bit of tar strip at the time.  The other thing was when I came into a 60 zone from an 80 zone, I slowed down ok, but only by dropping a gear.  I forgot to touch the brakes to get the brake light to come on.

I even got cut off, and had a woman swerve into my lane during the test.

Thanks for the info guys!   :cheers:

Congratulations!
Enjoy riding and be safe!