Author Topic: 2011 Outback  (Read 12534 times)

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
2011 Outback
« on: October 27, 2010, 02:05:37 pm »
My wife needs a new car and we are interested in the Outback.
With the dollar at almost par have people been importing still. I haven't really heard much about it as of late.
I think there is still an issue with the ignition immobilizer not meeting Canadian standards on paper when it actually does.

I came across an explanation here: http://www.cars101.com/canada.html#eis

"Vehicles with an EIS that doesn't meets CMVSS 114 will require confirmation of the presence of an immobilizer at the time of the RIV inspection.
Demonstration of the presence of an electronic immobilizer can be done through one of the following means:
- Presentation of the completed vehicle purchase agreement showing the vehicle identification number and indicating the presence of an electronic immobilizer
- Presentation of the vehicle window sticker (Monroney label) showing the vehicle identification number and indicating the presence of an electronic immobilizer
- A letter from the manufacturer showing the vehicle identification number and indicating the presence of an electronic immobilizer.
- Other type of information present on the vehicle or on the ignition key or fob allowing the positive identification of such a system. "

Has anyone done any of the mentioned above?
In a world where the dead are returning to life, the word "trouble" loses much of its meaning.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: 2011 Outback
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 02:48:57 pm »
email http://www.vanbortelsubaru.com/aboutUs.asp and they probably tell you everything you need to know about get one into Canada

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 03:10:12 pm »
email http://www.vanbortelsubaru.com/aboutUs.asp and they probably tell you everything you need to know about get one into Canada

I e-mailed Karl from vanbortel subaru earlier today since I have dealt with him in the past. There knowledge is based on what is based on exporting the car. I asked him about the ignition immobilizer and he said it was complainant but I know that there is still a asterisks around that part when registering.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1160
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 08:25:42 am »
A friend of mine is looking for an Outback. Price all in in $31,270 in the States and $36,800 here.

Thank you for your inquiry. Please read our Canadian Page thoroughly as it is full of helpful information. Here is the information on the 2011 Subaru Outback Premium Package you inquired about:

BDD02-Outback 2.5i Premium w/AWP – CVT
CBS-Crystal Black Silica
Stock # S10608
INCLUDES:
All Weather Floor Mats
Bumper Cover Rear
Splash Guards
YOUR COST = $26,798 + 348 fee (covers import paperwork, Fed-ex charges, and broker fee)
NOTE: This is a PZEV vehicle with 17” alloy wheels, power driver’s seat with lumbar support, and the all-weather package (heated seats, wipers, and mirrors)

Click here for a 2011 Outback brochure

There is NO DUTY on this car. We handle ALL of the paperwork and provide you with a free 20-day plate to return the car home, All you have to do is pick the car up.

This is what your total estimated costs would be to import the car back into Canada.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 08:58:36 am »
A savings of $5,000 may look like a no-brainer, but there are a few problems though... you can't get financing from Subaru, you don't get any factory incentives either, the instrument cluster will be in MPH and not km/h (costs around $1,000 to completely convert cluster), and probably more importantly, warranty work is kind of a pain. You either have to go the US to get work done for free, or go to your local Subaru dealership, pay in full yourself, and then submit the bill to Subaru of America. And lastly, you likely won't be able to sell your car for as much as a Canadian one, offsetting a good portion of those initial savings.

All in all, it might be worth it for some people, but for me, I'm not sure a saving of $5,000 would be enough, especially considering the lack of financing. I'd hate taking a $30,000 loan to a bank. I'd probably lose that savings of $5,000 just in interests I have to pay on the loan!

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 09:17:23 am »
....(slowly being spent on mods).

:drool:
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 07:55:58 pm »
I'd probably lose that savings of $5,000 just in interests I have to pay on the loan!

The breakeven is about 3.7% (monthly compound) over 48 months.

But everyone knows that buying in the US only really works if you have the cash to plunk down.

Also presumably you would get whatever Subaru US rebates are available so it can go either way.

Warranty work is unlikely to be horrific on a Scoob.

Dash in MPH is not a massive issue imo. Your brain adjusts quickly enough. (I know, I have a US Z4)

Resale is not a big issue IMO especially after 3+ years. Ask yourself how much extra you'd pay for a 3 year old Outback if it was a Canadian one vs. a US one? $500 maybe?
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 08:11:18 pm »
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 08:13:52 pm »
Zombie - I thought you imported your WRX?

Anyway, I imported my WRX from Van Bortal. Shoot me a PM if you have questions. Piece of cake; no regrets, 10K in my pocket (slowly being spent on mods).

Which mods are those?   ;D
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 06:42:23 pm »
I was just looking at a Tribeca Limited. It seems like the spread is still about 10-11,000 between the US and Canada.  :o If Subaru Canada doesn't have either 0% financing or big $ off list for cash it's a no-brainer.

I might be interested if only I could find a comfortable driving position. Without a telescoping wheel it's a no go  :(
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport

Offline Baron von Raschke

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 01:25:11 am »
I'd probably lose that savings of $5,000 just in interests I have to pay on the loan!

The breakeven is about 3.7% (monthly compound) over 48 months.

But everyone knows that buying in the US only really works if you have the cash to plunk down.

Also presumably you would get whatever Subaru US rebates are available so it can go either way.

Warranty work is unlikely to be horrific on a Scoob.

Dash in MPH is not a massive issue imo. Your brain adjusts quickly enough. (I know, I have a US Z4)

Resale is not a big issue IMO especially after 3+ years. Ask yourself how much extra you'd pay for a 3 year old Outback if it was a Canadian one vs. a US one? $500 maybe?

One possible alternative would be to get a home equity line of credit from your bank and use the borrowed cash  to purchase the car in the U.S.  Once you bring back the car you can either keep the car on the line of credit (interest rate would be relatively low due the lowered risk the bank is exposed to by the type of security being held), or you can term it out into a loan with the now "Canadianized" car held as security.

Of course, owning your own home with established equity would be required for this particular scenario.

Mr. Mayhew

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 06:28:08 pm »
Finance and Leases are available on all USA cars, new or used? I lease and finance New and Used US vehicles we import all the time...

If you go to your bank, their interests rates are high so it does eat up almost all the savings, unless you have a really good line of credit with low interest.

Finance and lease rates with a dealer start at 5.49% fixed.
Plus with a dealer you can trade your vehicle in etc.