Author Topic: Quebecois Happy, British Colombians Not with Auto Insurance  (Read 2268 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

Canadian company InsurEye Inc. has completed an auto insurance consumer satisfaction survey

Read More...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Quebecois Happy, British Colombians Not with Auto Insurance
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 09:10:04 am »
I think to be meaningful that survey needs to be graphed by age of insured and probably by number of tickets of the insured ( minor ones, not criminal offenses).  I suspect the age thing might show something quite different.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 01:28:08 pm »
Who cares if there is no competition in the insurance rates, if the rates are lower than any private insurance. I question this seemingly biased Auto Insurance survey.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 01:29:32 pm »
I'm surprised Ontario is so happy. From what I understand BC says some of the lowest rates in the country. Why so grumpy? Likely a study bought and paid for by a group of insurance companies to push their agenda in BC.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 02:05:51 pm »
I'm from BC and I'm happy with my insurance. I know older folks probably prefer private insurance since they may get lower rates through them. The maximum discount under base rate here is 43% for basic insurance and 48% for optional. So they could be paying maybe $1,500 a year after discount to insure a brand new Camry here with $300 comprehensive deductible, $500 collision deductible, and $2 mil 3rd party liability.

I'm at 40%/40% right now and pay $1,400 a year for my 07 Mazda 5 with the above coverage except with $3 mil 3rd party liability.

BTW, optional insurance is available through private companies as well such as Family, Canadian Direct, etc. I was with Canadian Direct for a few years, then my broker kinda screwed up getting me with Family Insurance, so now I just have ICBC for both basic and optional. I've had numerous claims with ICBC though and never had a problem. I have a 40% discount now through 8 years of safe driving (total experience 11 years, one at fault accident knocked three years off). Next year, I reach 43%/43% discount, and after that will gain 1% discount a year until I hit 43%/48%. When I hit my 13th year of safe driving, I automatically gain partial accident forgiveness where I will lose some of my optional discount but will retain 43% basic discount if I get into one at fault accident, not that I want to get into an accident or anything. At year 17, I gain full accident forgiveness. Collision deductible still applies.

Offline my2cents

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Rav4 AWD
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 02:15:09 pm »
I have ICBC for basic and Canadian Direct for optional.

Since I haven't had a claim - the survey doesn't apply.

For less money I get lower deductibles with Canadian Direct that ICBC doesn't even offer.

Vehicle replacement with CD is $43/yr for each of 3 years. With ICBC it's $150 for the first year and increases to about $250 for the second and more for the third.

The write-off for ICBC is 50% of the vehicle value where CD is if the cost of repair is more than the value of the vehicle. So ICBC is much better because if the value is say $24000 - ICBC will replace it with $12000 worth of damage while CD will repair it at $23999. So it isn't a good thing at all and I should probably cancel it.

ICBC spends millions in advertising. It's one thing if the commercials will save them money - i.e. install immobilizers or don't drink and drive - if people actually installed immobilizers or stopped drinking and driving.

They spent 1.3 million on a commercial that never saw the light of day because it was deemed too raunchy.

The last run of commercials was about waving thank-you. Talk about distracted driving. Looking around to make sure you got a thank-you wave out the window or out the sunroof and getting annoyed if you didn't get a thank-you.

After that fiasco accidents went up and they raised our rates. Coincidence?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 03:16:08 pm »
I'm happy considering my driving record. I pay $12XX/ year for my TT-RS and there was no increase in cost from my STi but deductible went up to $2500.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 12:24:56 am »
Odd, I can't find this survey on their website.

The principals and advisory board are heavy on people in the business areas of IT and insurance.  Strangely, their website gives only the first names of their principals.  They seem to include no academics, either for expertise in car insurance or survey techniques.

Without a copy of the questions used for their survey, it is worthless.  We all know private insurance companies expend vast efforts to undermine public insurance companies.  They simply cannot be trusted to not be behind InsurEye.

On this topic, Alexey Saltykov stated here:  http://www.financefox.ca/insurance-comparison-interview-with-insureye/
"[WE are] a completely FREE service for consumers, have no direct sponsorship from any insurance agencies, and offer access to all the providers across the board."

Emphasis mine.  Just what does that mean? 

I doubt they factored in "externalities" such as the fact that ICBC turns over to the government of BC, hundreds of millions of dollars annually.  Perhaps this makes car insurance in BC more expensive than it need be, but that money does go back to the public in some form or other.  As opposed to private profits going outside the country.

ICBC vs private insurance has been discussed before here.
And some cretins think I hate cars.