Author Topic: Mazda late-model owners : TPMS experiences  (Read 4931 times)

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
Re: Mazda late-model owners : TPMS experiences
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2023, 04:32:58 pm »
So here's my plan.

As I mentioned, oem size for the CX-90 PHEV is 265/55R19, also an oem M-B size with M-B prices ($425/tire at Costco, before rebates). 19" wheels are $250+ also.

Going -1 with 18's is a bit sketchy due to the lack of knowledge on this new application. But -1 gives access to more tire options. Typical Mazda, all three oem fitments (18, 19 and 21") have non-matching tire sizes. So I can't use the base GS' 255/60R18. Doing the math on a tire diameter comparator renders 265/60R18 to match my 265/55R19's diameter. Same thread, but more sidewall.

The CX-90 MHEV comes with 18" wheels, but even the dealer has no idea if the calipers are larger on the PHEV. PMC Tire guarantees the fit, so they'll take the bullet if the wheels don't fit. Quattro/Pneusàrabais does not offer 18" fitments for my car, so no guarantee.

I like the DTD Blizzard. It's an "oem direct fit", is narrower at 7.5" so more curb rash protection. PMC has it at $196, but Quattro sells it at $169 and PMC matches prices. Win-win.

Tires now. My go-to is always Blizzak, my avoid at all costs is Michelin. However, the DM-V2 Blizzak for SUVs is so-so from presser experience - it rendered a Subaru skittish in the snow... Love the WS-90, but that ill pairing stayed in my mind.

Lately, Pirelli snows have always been great, from daughter's Accent to an X3. Blizzak is $325, Pirelli Ice Zero is $287. So I think I'll go with the Italians.

As for tpms, with all the tech in this thing I will bite the bullet and get them.

Entire kit mounted and balanced "free" and shipped to my door, also "free".

3 things.

1) Interesting comment about DM-V2 Blizzaks. I am close to buying a set from Costco (Now $150 off) and did not know to go for them or the WS-90's. I read that the WS-90 is a newer design. Yet they say DM-V2 is an SUV tire so I thought I should go that route on the CX-5.

2) I had Pirelli Ice Zero's on my Kia Forte. I generally love Pirelli's. I have purchase 3 sets of all season over the years and was really happy. But these tires gave me some horrifying moments where I simply could not stop. Not on sheer ice or anything like that. I was just driving along in residential area (not fast) and when to slow down to do a turn I would start a slide with the anti locks going crazy. It happened a few times. Every time it was in conditions where the car reacting like that was completely unexpected.  Never driving fast and nor were conditions that terrible. Just routine stops. It was like a real WTF moment  :o. They were in great shape with lots of tread. Maybe the root of the problem was the car but I never investigated that aspect (car sold now). Not knowing what the hell went on I would never take a chance by putting them on my any of my cars again.

3) Your DTD wheel looks just like the RSSW Mayfair wheels I got at Crappy tire. The RSSW badging for center cap is just a sticker so I suspected wheel may be sold under different brands with just a different sticker.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/rssw-mayfair-alloy-wheel-rim-hyper-silver-1411070p.1417048.html?loc=plp

Got 17 by 7's for $125 each. They seems very nice. Now choosing winter tires and weighing the pros and cons of living without TPMS sensors for winter. I was considering these from Amazon. 4 for $117.00. The reviews are good and they confirm they work fine in a newer CX-5. I know nothing about TPMS sensors so I do not know if this is a smart buy. The write up claims battery last 5 to 8 years. That seems on the short side.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09KGNP9V3/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATNAB3DSAELL7&psc=1

« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 11:21:31 pm by Slow_lane »
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2023, 05:30:48 pm »
HELP..... I went to Costco today to discuss installation of TPMS during upcoming purchase of Blizzak Winter tires on my new set of alloys.

- If I purchase TPMS from Amazon ($135 tax in) they will install TPMS and charge me $20 for programing. They cannot guarantee they will work. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09KGNP9V3/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATNAB3DSAELL7&th=1

According to Mazda Manual this is how I can easily program / register the TPMS
If you or someone else changes tyres, you or someone else can also undertake the steps for the TPMS to complete the ID signal code registration.
After tyres have been changed, switch the ignition ON, then back to ACC or OFF.
Wait for about 15 minutes.
After about 15 minutes, drive the vehicle at a speed of at least 25 km/h (16 mph) for 10 minutes and the tyre pressure sensor ID signal code will be registered automatically.

- If I purchase the TPMS from Costco they will be guaranteed  to work. Tax in they will cost me $57 each ($262 tax in). They use one of 2 brands Redi or Till. He told me the batteries last between 5 and 8 years.

Do I spend double the amount? Or do I roll the dice with cheaper Amazon option? Or do I just forget it and do without?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2023, 05:58:06 pm »
If I purchase TPMS from Amazon ($135 tax in) they will install TPMS and charge me $20 for programing. They cannot guarantee they will work.

If I purchase the TPMS from Costco they will be guaranteed  to work. Tax in they will cost me $57 each ($262 tax in). They use one of 2 brands Redi or Till. He told me the batteries last between 5 and 8 years.

Do I spend double the amount? Or do I roll the dice with cheaper Amazon option? Or do I just forget it and do without?

You didn't mention if you bought the TPMS from Costco if there was a charge to install them. If not, the different isn't 2x but less than 50 bucks.  That seems worth it to me to have it guaranteed to work.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2023, 08:36:39 pm »
If I purchase TPMS from Amazon ($135 tax in) they will install TPMS and charge me $20 for programing. They cannot guarantee they will work.

If I purchase the TPMS from Costco they will be guaranteed  to work. Tax in they will cost me $57 each ($262 tax in). They use one of 2 brands Redi or Till. He told me the batteries last between 5 and 8 years.

You didn't mention if you bought the TPMS from Costco if there was a charge to install them. If not, the different isn't 2x but less than 50 bucks.  That seems worth it to me to have it guaranteed to work.

All they mentioned was a $20 programming charge. I understood it was a flat $20 for all 4 wheels. I am not sure if the $20 charge applies if I buy theirs. So in the end it is $155 vs $262 (or $282 if they charge the $20).

I am now really leaning toward saying frack it and not even get TPMS sensors. I drive about 3000 kms in winter and my longest trips are most likely 60 kms round trip. Most are just around residential streets. Not like I am heading up to cottage country every weekend. I keep am eye on my tire pressure and lived without TPMS for decades. The other thing is my Mazda only has a light that comes on. There is nothing reporting the tire pressure of each tire. If my TPMS was that advance I might be more inclined to get the sensors.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2023, 12:03:52 am »
I have used the Costco TPMS sensors without issue. I just followed the procedures to have them "learn" each season during tire swaps.

Sounds like the Mazda is easier and will self learn the new sensors after driving a short distance. I would probably just get the Costco ones to save yourself the hassle if the Amazon ones don't work out.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2023, 11:45:08 am »
So here's my plan.

As I mentioned, oem size for the CX-90 PHEV is 265/55R19, also an oem M-B size with M-B prices ($425/tire at Costco, before rebates). 19" wheels are $250+ also.

Going -1 with 18's is a bit sketchy due to the lack of knowledge on this new application. But -1 gives access to more tire options. Typical Mazda, all three oem fitments (18, 19 and 21") have non-matching tire sizes. So I can't use the base GS' 255/60R18. Doing the math on a tire diameter comparator renders 265/60R18 to match my 265/55R19's diameter. Same thread, but more sidewall.

The CX-90 MHEV comes with 18" wheels, but even the dealer has no idea if the calipers are larger on the PHEV. PMC Tire guarantees the fit, so they'll take the bullet if the wheels don't fit. Quattro/Pneusàrabais does not offer 18" fitments for my car, so no guarantee.

I like the DTD Blizzard. It's an "oem direct fit", is narrower at 7.5" so more curb rash protection. PMC has it at $196, but Quattro sells it at $169 and PMC matches prices. Win-win.

Tires now. My go-to is always Blizzak, my avoid at all costs is Michelin. However, the DM-V2 Blizzak for SUVs is so-so from presser experience - it rendered a Subaru skittish in the snow... Love the WS-90, but that ill pairing stayed in my mind.

Lately, Pirelli snows have always been great, from daughter's Accent to an X3. Blizzak is $325, Pirelli Ice Zero is $287. So I think I'll go with the Italians.

As for tpms, with all the tech in this thing I will bite the bullet and get them.

Entire kit mounted and balanced "free" and shipped to my door, also "free".

3 things.

1) Interesting comment about DM-V2 Blizzaks. I am close to buying a set from Costco (Now $150 off) and did not know to go for them or the WS-90's. I read that the WS-90 is a newer design. Yet they say DM-V2 is an SUV tire so I thought I should go that route on the CX-5.

2) I had Pirelli Ice Zero's on my Kia Forte. I generally love Pirelli's. I have purchase 3 sets of all season over the years and was really happy. But these tires gave me some horrifying moments where I simply could not stop. Not on sheer ice or anything like that. I was just driving along in residential area (not fast) and when to slow down to do a turn I would start a slide with the anti locks going crazy. It happened a few times. Every time it was in conditions where the car reacting like that was completely unexpected.  Never driving fast and nor were conditions that terrible. Just routine stops. It was like a real WTF moment  :o. They were in great shape with lots of tread. Maybe the root of the problem was the car but I never investigated that aspect (car sold now). Not knowing what the hell went on I would never take a chance by putting them on my any of my cars again.

3) Your DTD wheel looks just like the RSSW Mayfair wheels I got at Crappy tire. The RSSW badging for center cap is just a sticker so I suspected wheel may be sold under different brands with just a different sticker.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/rssw-mayfair-alloy-wheel-rim-hyper-silver-1411070p.1417048.html?loc=plp

Got 17 by 7's for $125 each. They seems very nice. Now choosing winter tires and weighing the pros and cons of living without TPMS sensors for winter. I was considering these from Amazon. 4 for $117.00. The reviews are good and they confirm they work fine in a newer CX-5. I know nothing about TPMS sensors so I do not know if this is a smart buy. The write up claims battery last 5 to 8 years. That seems on the short side.

https://www.amazon.ca/
gp/product/B09KGNP9V3/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATNAB3DSAELL7&psc=1

Not the same wheel. CX-5 tires: if the load index is ok, go with the newer WS-90. For the Odyssey, when it needed new 3-seasons, I picked SUV tires instead of passenger car and regretted it. They were noisier and harder than the same-brand oem tires.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2023, 11:53:00 am »
Plan update:

PMC does not recommend the Ice Zeros for my application as 1) tire being phased-out and 2) 114 load index will give a rougher ride. Both valid points!

So looking at options again, there are 4 tires with a 110 index in my size (required is 109):

Michelin X-Ice SUV : never in my life

Blizzak DM-V2: older tire that I found meh on pressers

Yokohama IceGuard 075: newer tire, cheap, but zero experience with the brand in winter.

Toyo Observe GSI-06: new tire, was fantastic on a Ridgeline.

Oem 19 inch tires on the CX-90 are either Yokos or Toyos- I have Toyos.

With the 10% rebate that ends today, the Yoko is $258, while the Toyo is $280.

Opinions on these two?

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2023, 12:22:44 pm »
Plan update:

PMC does not recommend the Ice Zeros for my application as 1) tire being phased-out and 2) 114 load index will give a rougher ride. Both valid points!

So looking at options again, there are 4 tires with a 110 index in my size (required is 109):

Michelin X-Ice SUV : never in my life

Blizzak DM-V2: older tire that I found meh on pressers

Yokohama IceGuard 075: newer tire, cheap, but zero experience with the brand in winter.

Toyo Observe GSI-06: new tire, was fantastic on a Ridgeline.

Oem 19 inch tires on the CX-90 are either Yokos or Toyos- I have Toyos.

With the 10% rebate that ends today, the Yoko is $258, while the Toyo is $280.

Opinions on these two?
I had Ice Guard's on my Altima back in 2009 & they were a fantastic winter tire! Excellent in the snow we get here in Ottawa, which would be similar to your Montreal slop.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2023, 07:47:19 pm »
After a fun and in-depth tire discussion with Johan at PMC, I went with the Toyo Observe GSi-06 in their recommended size of 255/60R18, load index 112.

That's their guaranteed fitment, as the one-inch narrower wheel can cause surprises when teamed with the offset on a 265/60R18. It's also the CX-90 MHEV GS trim's oem 18" size. The theoretical overall diameter is a half-inch under my 19" fitment, but I'll take that over rubbing.

So DTD Blizzard alloys, programmed tpms sensors, mounting and balancing, new chrome lug nuts for the winter kit, the Toyos, mounting and balancing and free shipping is $2,028+tax at my door, ready to bolt on the car.

I will test-fit front and rear when they arrive.

I re-read my comments here on the same Toyos in 245/60R18: https://www.autohebdo.net/editorial/20220317/honda-ridgeline-touring-2022-essai-hivernal/

I remembered I liked them, but not in so much detail!

Next: floor liners...

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2023, 09:22:03 pm »
After a fun and in-depth tire discussion with Johan at PMC, I went with the Toyo Observe GSi-06 in their recommended size of 255/60R18, load index 112.

That's their guaranteed fitment, as the one-inch narrower wheel can cause surprises when teamed with the offset on a 265/60R18. It's also the CX-90 MHEV GS trim's oem 18" size. The theoretical overall diameter is a half-inch under my 19" fitment, but I'll take that over rubbing.

So DTD Blizzard alloys, programmed tpms sensors, mounting and balancing, new chrome lug nuts for the winter kit, the Toyos, mounting and balancing and free shipping is $2,028+tax at my door, ready to bolt on the car.

I will test-fit front and rear when they arrive.

I re-read my comments here on the same Toyos in 245/60R18: https://www.autohebdo.net/editorial/20220317/honda-ridgeline-touring-2022-essai-hivernal/

I remembered I liked them, but not in so much detail!

Next: floor liners...

Excellent. I must say that PMC website is a great tool for shopping. It lists tires in order of what they recommend for you car/suv and you can click on any one of them to get a performance summary of the tire.

I am still trying to see if I can snag a 2nd hand set of snows (that are almost new) to save come money. Failing that I will buy new. But I have come across a few good deals on Toyos 2nd hand but have been scared off by comments of poor performance on ice. But if you have had hands on experience and liked them that trumps any reviews. Maybe I take a 2nd look at those ads I saw!!!!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 10:56:56 pm by Slow_lane »

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2023, 08:17:03 am »
^^ Plus, I figured the thing is designed to wear Yokos and Toyos, won't hurt to stick with the oem supplier.

Daughter's ART Replica 301's are arriving today, we're about to fill-up the garage  ;D

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2023, 11:31:43 am »
So for my CX-5 I scored a set of used Blizzak WS90's used just one season and mounted them on new RSSW 17 inch alloys I got on sale at Crappy Tire. After much thought I decided to skip TPMS sensors. Drove decades without them and do not go far in winter. I am pretty good at monitoring tire pressure.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2023, 11:52:51 am »
The CX-90's mounted/balanced/programmed shoes have arrived this week but I haven't had time to unwrap a single one. Test-fit happening this weekend.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2023, 06:30:06 pm »
The CX-90's mounted/balanced/programmed shoes have arrived this week but I haven't had time to unwrap a single one. Test-fit happening this weekend.

I only did test fit on front. I hope that is enough. My winter wheels match all specs of OEM so all should be OK. I hope :-\
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 07:02:16 pm by Slow_lane »

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2023, 05:14:25 pm »
Buy the way. As the CX-5 has big 19 inch wheels it was a little difficult for me to handle during the test fit. It was not impossible but it was challenging. I decided to bite the bullet and pay to have my wheels stored at a local garage. This after doing my all my own seasonal change overs for decades. Now I just book an appointment drive over and they pop the wheels on for me.

What a treat!!!!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2023, 05:26:53 pm »
Buy the way. As the CX-5 has big 19 inch wheels it was a little difficult for me to handle during the test fit. It was not impossible but it was challenging. I decided to bite the bullet and pay to have my wheels stored at a local garage. This after doing my all my own seasonal change overs for decades. Now I just book an appointment drive over and they pop the wheels on for me.

What a treat!!!!
Good on you!

FWIW, I use to use a wheel dolly.

Roll the dolly to studs, jack car to match lug holes on wheel. Push wheel on.

But your new way is much, much easier!  :)
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...