Author Topic: CD Article: 2006 Porsche Boxster  (Read 24954 times)

Howswedeitis

Re: CD Article: 2006 Porsche Boxster
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2006, 04:58:29 pm »
Giant...I get where you're coming from but I still don't believe in ABS
brakes (especially in winter). The fact remains that the threshold braking
technique is the most effective way to stop a vehicle quickly and with
as much car control as is possible. Even Transport Canada's website
advises to increase stopping distances because of ABS brakes.
I think ABS brakes from when they came out was simply
a selling feature that most went along with and quite frankly
to this day most drivers have no clue what to do to effect the
shortest braking distance with them...which is to say slam the
brakes to the floor and hope for the best! 

slik

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2006, 06:15:07 pm »
As an ex-Boxter S driver, I agree with both articles (Yap and Williams). I have now moved on to a M-B SLK350, which I been driving for the second winter here (northern Ontario) and find that with all the safety and comfort features of this car, it's great fun to drive even in the winter.

The SLK's windows are like the Boxter's in terms of the slight pre-opening requirement before the doors can open/close... I am thinking a remote starter to warm up and de-ice the windows might solve the issue of freezing rain as the car has a fantastic heating system. I haven't heard of any remote starters for this model though - any ideas?

Regarding rubber, I drive on a set of four Pirelli winter tires using a minus 1 size concept (205/50x17 instead of the normally recommended 225/45x17 winter tire size), which maintains stock overall rolling dimensions. This smaller-width tire contact patch, coupled with the car's standard dynamic systems (antislip, stablity control, ABS, brake assist, etc.) have handled the snow and ice here easily. This car has a cool feature which allows the owner to set the winter tire's speed rating in the intrument display's computer settings so that the car never exceeds the maximum speed for the tires, which is another incentive to drive it in the winter without worry.

Regarding sandblasting, all cars and not just sports cars are subject to this. I approached this with a professionally installed 3M clear skin bra custom made for this model (covers the lower front hood and sidebody section and the side mirrors). For the rocker panels and rear flank protection, a set of dealer-installed mud flaps specifically made for this model are working really well.

Since the car is a hardtop retractable convertible, the interior cabin is as quiet as a normal coupe, and the coldest and snowiest days so far have been just a normal thing for this car, particularly since unlike the Boxter the windshield and rear visibility are not a restriction. Judging from my experience, and the fact the car is guaranteed for 30 years against body corrosion in Europe, I believe that I can minimize salt damage through regular visits to the touchless carwash. Mercedes now uses nanopaint technology for this car's paint, which they claim contributes to a  much longer lasting paintwork.

My wife loves the SLK350 and is one of the strongest proponents of wanting to drive it all year round - she insists winter hibernation is for bears, not the car! By observing defensive driving practices that also respect the road and winter conditions, including reduced road clearance on snow-packed roads, there is no doubt this modern sports car is meant to be driven all the time, even in Canada's winters.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2006, 06:56:48 pm »
Back to sports cars in the winter...

This morning on the drive into work, I entered the QEW and as I came down the on-ramp, noticed a nice, black 911 (05 Carerra S) whizzing past.  I gradually managed to catch up to him to have a closer look and had to give him credit -- it was covered in all the same road schmutz and salt as every other car out there and he was happily cruising along enjoying it for what it is...  a great car, no matter the time of year.

Since he was apparently not in as big a hurry as I was to get to work, I passed him and went on about my travels.  Traffic started to heavy-up a bit (as it tends to closer to the Skyway bridge) and I noticed a taupe-coloured Saab 9-5 zig-zagging through traffic.  Next thing I know, the Porsche driver had had enough of this Swedish-meatball and pulled out behind him.  When he downshifted to show the Saab driver who truly is king of the highway, the explosive wailing roar of that flat-6 was so loud, immediate and exciting that it actually startled me!  The 911 rocketed past us more plebian vehicles and was gone.  Porsche... there is no substitute. 

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2006, 11:06:57 pm »
Slik, welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your (enviable) sports car 4-season enjoyment.  I've been seriously debating the 3M tape for the front of my car as well... hopefully I'll make up my mind before it takes too much of a beating!  I've caught two salt 'rocks' off the windshield this week already (not that the 'clear bra' would help that anyway).  I just try to keep convincing myself "it's only a car".   Yeah... right.  :)

I'd love to hear your comparisons of Boxster S ownership and enjoyment versus your SLK -- either one is a car I'd love to have! 
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

msian

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2006, 10:26:45 am »
I've been seriously debating the 3M tape for the front of my car as well...

The clear bra, IMHO, should be port-installed. We would be essentially sealing in the "imperfections" once the car had a few miles on the road.

slik

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2006, 12:15:53 pm »
Slik, welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your (enviable) sports car 4-season enjoyment.  I've been seriously debating the 3M tape for the front of my car as well... hopefully I'll make up my mind before it takes too much of a beating!  I've caught two salt 'rocks' off the windshield this week already (not that the 'clear bra' would help that anyway).  I just try to keep convincing myself "it's only a car".   Yeah... right.  :)

I'd love to hear your comparisons of Boxster S ownership and enjoyment versus your SLK -- either one is a car I'd love to have! 

Thanks Giant, you could not go wrong with either Boxter or SLK. The driving experiences are very close, but the ownership differed: there are many more Mercedes dealerships around versus Porsche, and that can be a definite plus - I've found very good service everywhere (even the U.S.) regardless of where I bought the car. I experienced a somewhat take-it-or-leave-it attitude of many Porsche dealerships, although good service overall. Problems with the SLK350 so far have been none to write about, and I expect a new Boxter similar in this respect based on my past experience. Here are my comments for winter driving:

The 2000 stick Boxter S was slightly less prone to wheelspin when taking off on some icy surfaces than my current SLK, which seems to have a brighter takeoff. I have to remember to control the throttle for a smooth getaway on the SLK, but once underway power delivery is very smooth and enjoyable. One definite plus is the retractable hardtop - it is tight, and no rattles or squeaks whatsoever, and no water intrusion in the carwash either, which is not what I can say about the other car's softop. I also find the set-it-and-forget-it automatic climate control system in the SLK superior, and fogged/iced windows are a thing of the past, all this complemented by heated steering wheel, heated seats and innovative "air scarf". Overall, the SLK has proven itself to be a more complete 4-season car than the Boxter. Apart from that, it would be a personal choice between the two.

Oh, the invisible 3M protection would be highly recommended - a bit pricy, but no discoloration or maintenance issues.

msian

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2006, 12:59:42 pm »
The 2000 stick Boxter S was slightly less prone to wheelspin when taking off on some icy surfaces than my current SLK, which seems to have a brighter takeoff. I have to remember to control the throttle for a smooth getaway on the SLK, but once underway power delivery is very smooth and enjoyable.

The SLK350 is much much more torque-ir... :)

SLK350
258 @ 2400 RPM

Boxster S
225 @ 4500 RPM

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2006, 01:39:34 pm »
slik, it sounds like you have the top of the liine slk350, isn't the AMG version only 2 or 3 grand more?  :lick:

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2006, 01:41:16 pm »
Oh I suppose if you don't have the sports package it's about $10k difference.

msian

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2006, 01:50:47 pm »
Oh I suppose if you don't have the sports package it's about $10k difference.

I thought it was way more than that...
IIRC..."base" SLK350 is around $64K
and 55AMG is like $84K....but you do get the 7-speed automatic with the AMG... :P

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2006, 01:54:29 pm »
Yes but I would rather a base AMG at $84k than a tarted up 350.  You can max the 350 out to $81 or $82k!

msian

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2006, 01:58:28 pm »
Yes but I would rather a base AMG at $84k than a tarted up 350.  You can max the 350 out to $81 or $82k!

No doubt...and I guess most SLK350 buyers would not be buying a "base" SLK350.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2006, 02:10:33 pm »
The 2000 stick Boxter S was slightly less prone to wheelspin when taking off on some icy surfaces than my current SLK, which seems to have a brighter takeoff. I have to remember to control the throttle for a smooth getaway on the SLK, but once underway power delivery is very smooth and enjoyable.

SLK350
258 @ 2400 RPM

Boxster S
225 @ 4500 RPM

Wow!  That would be quite a difference in driving feel, I'd bet.

What are the weight differences though?  That Benz has got to be considerably heavier than the Boxster, no?

msian

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2006, 02:15:18 pm »

SLK350
258 @ 2400 RPM

Boxster S
225 @ 4500 RPM

Wow!  That would be quite a difference in driving feel, I'd bet.

What are the weight differences though?  That Benz has got to be considerably heavier than the Boxster, no?

Yeah, the SLK350 is about 400lbs heavier than the 2000-vintage Boxster S.
But the torque-to-weight ratio is remarkably similar...the biggest difference is the torque curve though...the SLK350 is flat and broad...so you will "feel" it even when taking off timidly... ;)

Edited for "misspelling"
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 02:43:18 pm by msian »

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2006, 02:25:47 pm »
Man I just floored the thing when I test drove it, AWESOME pull.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2006, 05:05:27 pm »
Oh yeah... I forgot about your test drive, Wing.  Did you ever take a Boxster out for a rip?  Just for comparison sake?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2006, 05:12:52 pm »
No I didn't, I really should have taken the one Grant had.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2006, 05:20:43 pm »
Ya couldn't pay me enuf ta slip inta GRANT's BOXERS !!!!!!! ;D :nono: :fall:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

mdxtasy

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2006, 05:45:11 pm »
Ya couldn't pay me enuf ta slip inta GRANT's BOXERS !!!!!!! ;D :nono: :fall:

Grant's hot.   :lick:

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2006, 06:01:23 pm »
NOT fer a while.........!!!! :P