Author Topic: Maxtrek Tires....any good? (Winter Tires)  (Read 58207 times)

kuliddar

Maxtrek Tires....any good? (Winter Tires)
« on: October 09, 2009, 07:00:15 pm »
Good evening all,

I was in the mall this afternoon and there was a special tire expo showing off different winter tires. I spoke to a rep of one of the stores and after asking him more info on Toyo tires he told me to look at Maxtrek Wot 18 as its 50/50 for ice and snow which is kinda what I'm looking for, for the winters in Qc.

What I know, it's a chinese company (maxtrek.com) but the price is 160$ less than getting the Toyo tires. At first glance it looks well gripped and all but I would like to know if there are any users that had these tires in the currently or in the past and tell me if it a decent tire.

Thanks for the info!

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: Maxtrek Tires....any good? (Winter Tires)
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 07:47:33 pm »
It seems like they're new, so I doubt you'll find any user reviews anywhere.

Just from looking at their website, I would be very, very surprised if these tires were anything but horrible. Oh sure, I suppose there's a small chance that a two-year-old tire maker (established in 2007) with a "20,000m2 R&D centre in Guangdong province" (which is in the tropics, BTW) might stumble onto the formula for making a decent winter tire, but I highly doubt it.

For a measly $160 savings, I sure wouldn't volunteer to be the first Canadian guinea pig to try these out. There's plenty of other inexpensive, quality winter tires out there if you want save a few bucks. General Altimax Artic, Firestone Winterforce and Goodyear Nordic are a few that come to mind, but I'm sure there are others.

weebl

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 05:45:59 pm »
What I know, it's a chinese company (maxtrek.com)

Deal-breaker right there.  Not worth the potential safety compromise.  Google Chinese tires and see what I mean.

chris cms

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 08:17:56 pm »
I have these MaxTrek all season Atrezzo tires on my 325 BMW (225 - 40 - 18)  They run great. I was surprised at how quiet they are.  I have put about 1000 kms on em so far and I have no complaints. Good tire in dry and handle the wet very well too.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 08:37:08 pm »
Wot is the recommended pressure fer those "Maxtrek Wot 18"   ;) :rofl2:

Buying unknown Chinese tires is like sewing your own seat belts because the real ones are too expensive.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline borzy1

• Noob
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Corolla
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 10:41:17 pm »
Please do not buy Maxtrek tires, they are complete junk.  I bought a pair before I realized that it is important to buy good tires.  The tires caused my steering to wobble, and it could not be balanced.  The problem went away when the tires were rotated so the bad tire was in the rear.  Apparently there was a wave in the tred that caused the shake.  The dealer refused to replace the tire as it took too long for me to determine that the problem was with the tire and not the car.  They are complete junk, I used them one summer then replaced them as I don't think it is worth the risk of them exploding on the highway.

Offline hnoor0066

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: hondaa
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 07:21:21 am »
Apparently there was a wave in the tred that caused the shake......