Author Topic: Why Lincoln is ready to toss the alphabet soup  (Read 5003 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Why Lincoln is ready to toss the alphabet soup
« on: April 22, 2015, 12:52:09 am »
DETROIT -- Does the Lincoln Continental mark the beginning of the end of the brand’s confusing “MK” naming scheme?

Joe Hinrichs, Ford Motor Co.’s president of the Americas, today gave the strongest hint yet that the company is ready to bring back real words, possibly by reviving iconic names such as the Town Car.

“Without divulging the future,” Hinrichs said, “we’re very excited about the Continental name and the attention it’s gotten.”

Lincoln’s announcement last month that the Continental will replace the MKS next year signaled that the automaker might be rethinking its decision to drop actual names nearly a decade ago. Asked about that at an auto industry breakfast hosted by the Dawda Mann law firm, Hinrichs acknowledged that the MK monikers can be hard for anyone who’s not a Ford executive to keep straight.

“I get it,” Hinrichs said. “I know MKX and C and Z and T. I’ve studied them very well. I know them well, but we also understand the issue. It’s, frankly, where the auto industry -- the premium industry -- has gone, if you look at all the nameplates. But another way Lincoln could distinguish itself is to leverage its heritage. So I’ll leave it at that.”

The alphabetic approach was originally conceived as a nod to Lincoln’s past, with the MK pronounced “Mark,” a reference to the Continental Mark series. (For example, the Lincoln Zephyr, on the market for only one model year, would henceforth be the “Mark Z,” executives proclaimed in 2006, earning a spot on Automotive News’ list of the year’s 10 biggest blunders.)

Alan Mulally, who became CEO shortly after that happened, candidly told reporters he didn’t like the change, but eventually said he came to terms with the new scheme.

Now his successor, MK Fields, is pouring money into Lincoln’s revitalization effort and trying to zig while other luxury brands zag. Fields and then-marketing chief Jim Farley announced internally about 18 months ago that Lincoln’s next full-size sedan would be called the Continental.

That name is a big reason for the buzz surrounding the Continental Concept since its unveiling at the New York auto show. Motor Trend put it on the front of its June issue, with the headline “Continental is back.” Hinrichs proudly said that’s the first time in 15 years that a Lincoln made the magazine’s cover.

Ford also has been thrilled with the recent performance of the one Lincoln that still has a pronounceable name: the Navigator, whose sales are up 84 percent this year. Meanwhile, all of Lincoln’s MK-named vehicles are down 7.2 percent.

In 2006, Lincoln justified the name changes as a way to get people to focus on the brand as a whole rather than individual models. Instead, most people just ignored the brand entirely.

Now that Lincoln might finally be on the comeback trail, executives sound like they’ve realized there’s one thing still missing: vowels.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
Re: Why Lincoln is ready to toss the alphabet soup
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 09:25:42 am »
they are finally doing what we knew all along. 

it was STUPID to do MKT MKS blah blah... nobody knew what they were unless they were lincoln fan!  making ugly cars probably didn't help.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 10:06:52 am »
Cadillac should do this as well. Bring back the Fleetwood Brougham d' Elegance!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 10:07:12 am »
I have no idea what a MKT or MKC or whatever is.....bringing back Town Car, Continental or Mark X would make sense.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 10:24:23 am »
IT'S ABOUT TIME!

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 01:33:04 pm »
Wow, an auto executive who:
A) Admits that a previous company decision was, maybe, possibly, just potentially, a mistake
B) Listens to other opinions/options (or at the very least, can look at the sales data)

Caddy execs, do you understand these concepts?  Maybe you can actually start to "dare greatly" and stop trying to out-German the Germans!

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 10:19:07 pm »
The original name change probably was the decision to compete with the German cars in that category, they forgot its cars they are trying to sell, not purses.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 10:22:15 pm »
I have no idea what a MKT or MKC or whatever is.....bringing back Town Car, Continental or Mark X would make sense.

So true. I am a car nut and I have no idea what MK-whatever is what....Lincoln's alphabet soup is the only soup I don't know well I think.

And yet you tell me Town Car....and I both understand and become a bit sentimental for.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 10:42:23 pm »
Great move by Lincoln.  Now if only Infiniti and Acura would follow suit........
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 07:01:33 am »
Good move to revert back to the old naming convention..... but new names are hard to create as everything good had been taken if you want to come up with anew model. The Germans figured this out decades ago and stuck to the formula that works and is recognizable.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 09:13:38 am »
Good move to revert back to the old naming convention..... but new names are hard to create as everything good had been taken if you want to come up with anew model. The Germans figured this out decades ago and stuck to the formula that works and is recognizable.

I don't know if the naming convention was detrimental to the brand itself though(previous to the stupid MK* change)
i think it was more the declining quality of the cars itself that tainted the names and they had to change..

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 02:18:34 pm »

i think it was more the declining quality of the cars itself that tainted the names and they had to change..

^^^

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 04:42:12 pm »
Infiniti is the leader in stupid right now.  As far as I can tell there's the Q50 sedan, the Q50 Coupe, the Q50 compact SUV, the Q50 mid sized SUV and the Q50 large SUV.

Acura lost their minds a long time ago.  Legend was one of the best car names of all time.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 04:57:46 pm »
Infiniti is the leader in stupid right now.  As far as I can tell there's the Q50 sedan, the Q50 Coupe, the Q50 compact SUV, the Q50 mid sized SUV and the Q50 large SUV.

Acura lost their minds a long time ago.  Legend was one of the best car names of all time.

yeah...  can you imagine, rolling out the RLX  and instead of having to call it "RLX", they say "The Legend .    Is.    BACK. "

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 05:14:24 pm »

Thats a huge issue, I couldn't tell you what any of those are...at all.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 05:48:33 pm »
A souped up Legend is the fastest car I've ever been in, well north of 200 km/hr, zipping in and around transport trucks on the autobahn back in my hitchhiking days.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 08:05:00 pm »

Nope, Infiniti has the Q50 Sedan and QX50 Crossover, that's it.  Don't get me wrong though, their current naming sucks facking @ss!  I'm a big Infiniti fan, but I absolutely can't stand their current nomenclature.  The should of left the naming as it was IMO. 

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2015, 08:06:58 pm »
Yeah the old Infiniti scheme was much better. The G37 was a thing. So was the FX. The others can fall into line.

Now? Who knows.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2015, 08:11:50 pm »
Yeah the old Infiniti scheme was much better. The G37 was a thing. So was the FX. The others can fall into line.

Now? Who knows.

Agreed.  The G has been Infiniti's staple car for more than a decade now, why change the freakin' name?  It's like Bimmer changing the 3 series name to something else.  Just doesn't make sense.  As we've seen, Lincoln and Acura have also swayed to this asinine naming convention......I just don't get it.......especially when you've built up a solid name with your product over the years.  It's baffling to me. 

Northernridge

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2015, 08:27:05 pm »
BMW and Mercedes have both shown signs lately of following Infiniti into the same naming abyss.

Great idea for Lincoln to resurrect the old names.