Author Topic: Preview: 2016 Mazda2  (Read 19457 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Preview: 2016 Mazda2
« on: July 18, 2014, 06:26:34 am »

A horse you can bet on.

Read More...

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
Re: Preview: 2016 Mazda2
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 08:28:39 am »
   Nice bit of style inside here. I think though, that this size of car is tending towards a higher roof line which gives easier entry and exit conditions in a tight package and more comfortable seating. A more chunky look does not necessarily have to be less stylish. Most cars by a long chalk in NA are automatics, so why the big round tachometer and only digital for speed on the road...which is what you need to know surely. RPM is information of no value in this instance IMO...there is nothing that you can do with it...not that the tach is not appropriate for manual versions.  I suppose that with quieter interiors and less engine sound it is more difficult to aurally assess the need to change gears. In olden times the strain and sound and vibrations of the engine, announced that a change of gear was required...or else. Do modern day stick shifters really look at the tach. in order to know when to change gear.
   Anyway, not withstanding personal inclinations, I like the clean and upscale looking interior in this compact package. The exterior seems pretty much the same as it was, to  me...not that it was not just fine.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 08:41:51 am by Rupert »

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 08:49:53 am »
   Nice bit of style inside here. I think though, that this size of car is tending towards a higher roof line which gives easier entry and exit conditions in a tight package and more comfortable seating. A more chunky look does not necessarily have to be less stylish. Most cars by a long chalk in NA are automatics, so why the big round tachometer and only digital for speed on the road...which is what you need to know surely. RPM is information of no value in this instance IMO...there is nothing that you can do with it...not that the tach is not appropriate for manual versions.  I suppose that with quieter interiors and less engine sound it is more difficult to aurally assess the need to change gears. In olden times the strain and sound and vibrations of the engine, announced that a change of gear was required...or else. Do modern day stick shifters really look at the tach. in order to know when to change gear.
   Anyway, not withstanding personal inclinations, I like the clean and upscale looking interior in this compact package. The exterior seems pretty much the same as it was, to  me...not that it was not just fine.

It only has the centre tach if it also has HUD. If no HUD then you get a centre speedometer which a tachometer on the side. Same as the new Mazda 3.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 09:40:42 am »
Just gonna point out there that in the middle of the speedometer, it still says "x1000 r/min" despite saying the same thing on the left tach.  Those silly Japanese... ::)

Do modern day stick shifters really look at the tach. in order to know when to change gear.
Need?  This is akin to asking whether anyone in Canada really "needs" AWD.

Of course it's not needed, but it does help.  Experienced drivers will probably seldom look at it, but I again would wager a Burger's Priest dinner, this time milkshake included, that every single person who drives a manual would go ape-sh!t if manufacturers stopped making tachs.  Reason?  It's sporty-looking, fun, and adds to the driving experience.

Necessary?  No.  Desired?  Hellz yeah.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 09:48:03 am »
My car is too quiet, I can't hear it so I refer to my tach all the time.  Unless there's no other traffic around, then I can hear it  ;). I need an exhaust or something...

This just makes the mazda3 packaging look even sillier.  The tach comes with the GT where you can't get a stick, and the dumb little digital tach comes with the actual manual cars.  Riiiight...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 09:50:08 am by WRX_Pilot »

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 10:15:05 am »
This just makes the mazda3 packaging look even sillier.  The tach comes with the GT where you can't get a stick, and the dumb little digital tach comes with the actual manual cars.  Riiiight...

But the GT has the HUD. And it supposedly gets a manual for '15.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 10:31:31 am »
Neat little car. Would be nice of they made a GT with the 155HP 2.0L engine. Barring any development on a turbocharged Skyactiv engine that is.

My car is too quiet, I can't hear it so I refer to my tach all the time.  Unless there's no other traffic around, then I can hear it  ;). I need an exhaust or something...

You're driving it wrong.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 10:32:40 am »
But the HUD doesn't give you rpm info...  I think the point is just that they should have the real tach in the manual equipped cars.  I don't mind a digital speedo readout.

You're driving it wrong.

As much as I'd love to shift at 5K every time, I'd be getting ~250km per tank  ;D (only slightly exaggerating)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 10:37:16 am by WRX_Pilot »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 10:55:27 am »
Yea, in the 3 it's either a speedometer only in the GX manual or auto, speedometer with a tiny digital tach in the GS manual or auto, or the big analogue tach with digital speedometer and a HUD with secondary speedometer in the GT, auto only at the moment.

As much as I'd love to shift at 5K every time, I'd be getting ~250km per tank  ;D (only slightly exaggerating)

250km on a tank of gas is excellent.  ;D

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 11:38:27 am »
I love the Mazda design language but on this car in particular, I think the steeply slanted rear window is a mistake.  It limits already limited space. 

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 02:02:24 pm »
I love the Mazda design language but on this car in particular, I think the steeply slanted rear window is a mistake.  It limits already limited space.
Whilst I agree with you, most users don't ever lift the privacy cover, so it may be somewhat irrelevant to those who prefer style over function.

Offline ALin

• Administrator
  • Carma: +16/-24
  • WordPress Goon
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1996 Toyota RAV4
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 02:13:01 pm »
I didn't get into it in the article, but you can see some of the trim differences in the gallery. Trim levels haven't been confirmed, so I've labeled them "Standard" and "Upgrade".

Headlights: Standard / Upgrade

Cabin: Standard / Upgrade

Gauges: Standard / Upgrade

HVAC controls: Standard / Upgrade

The Japanese preview site(warning: Flash intro) has a treasure trove of additional details, such as colours, trim materials and wheel choices. There was also a section about the triple-coat paint treatment (clear coat, semi-translucent red coat, metallic red coat), but that sounded pretty standard as far as premium paint jobs go. Though they do have a spiffy diagram.

They don't really explain the rear window angle though. The guiding principle here was "styling imbued with a sense of life through craftsmanship", and "stature of compressed energy and explosive momentum". So... rear visibility/cargo space not a big priority, I guess.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 02:17:37 pm »
I like the styling. Don't know if I would relate it to a Japanese horse...more like a little Pony.

Did not want to do it but I have to chime in here......"what only one engine choice.....& no diesel... #$%@ !!!

Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline ALin

• Administrator
  • Carma: +16/-24
  • WordPress Goon
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1996 Toyota RAV4
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 02:41:10 pm »
I thought it was a bit strange to omit the diesel engine here considering they're making a big push for the diesel engine in Japan; there's an entire section of the preview site just dedicated to SkyActive-D and diesel engines in general. But it's a big gamble to make in North America with a new model, so I get why they're going with the bigger gasolline engine at this point (the 1.5L isn't available in Japan, if that makes you feel any better).

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 03:10:02 pm »

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 03:15:10 pm »
Maybe they should consider standardising the large round speedo throughout.  Make a round decent tach available as a stand alone option for mounting on the dash with all trims. Somehow having a large prominent tach under your nose seems wrong, if you don't want it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 11:14:55 pm by Rupert »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 03:27:23 pm »
Maybe they should consider standardising the large round speedo throughout.  Make a round decent tach available as a stand alone option for mounting on the dash with all trims. Somehow having a large prominent tach thrust under your nose seems wrong, if you don't want it.

See, Id rather have a large tach thrust under my nose, along with water temp, oil pressure and temp, ammeter, fuel gauge and a small digital speedo somewhere.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 03:33:39 pm »
Maybe they should consider standardising the large round speedo throughout.  Make a round decent tach available as a stand alone option for mounting on the dash with all trims. Somehow having a large prominent tach thrust under your nose seems wrong, if you don't want it.

It is standard on the lower trims. You only get the big tach if you opt for the highest trim.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2014, 05:51:43 pm »
looks like a nice little car...i think it looks much better than the current one.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline RoadRageous

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +16/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2014, 06:29:48 pm »
.... asks pointed questions about instrumentation

Yeah, I use a Tach to shift.
Helps me judge rev matching

Also, I can check if i'm crusing in 4th or 5th