Author Topic: (Cone shaped) Air Filters --- APC vs K&N?  (Read 7788 times)

Sharky

(Cone shaped) Air Filters --- APC vs K&N?
« on: March 30, 2005, 09:29:59 am »
Until now, I've been torn up between buying a cool air intake kit, or just getting a cone shaped K&N filter.  The filter alone is about half the price of the whole kit, so why not just take the plunge, right?  Well, with a teency weency budget for such frivolities, I've been slow to decide.  HOWever....I just found an APC cone filter for half the price of a K&N.  Could it be a super crappy filter, not worth putting on my car, or could it be that the K&N stuff is ridiculously over priced?  Help!

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 10:16:00 am »
Could be also going with a cheap air filter is the difference between performance and letting too much crap into the motor and damaging it. I would not fool w cheap filters IMO.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Ericthejet

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 12:36:06 pm »
I would run the higher quality filter.  K&N has a history that shows their product flows more air thru the throttle body.  APC? may be just trying to take a bite of their market share with a lower quality product.  I also don't think these items have to meet any standards.

What are you trying to get from the car anyways?  More flow?

Barrie1

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 12:46:52 pm »
The K&N air filters are gauranteed for one million miles so there is a difference right there. I am running a 14"x6" K&N filter in my truck and have found it to be excellent in keeping the dirt out of the carb and fuel system. I have tried others similar before and the K&N has been the best so far. They cost more but you get it back in long life and performance.

Sharky

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 01:13:36 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, folks.  Eric, you nailed it -- I'm just looking for a little more flow.  I've also heard that an SRT-4 exhaust will bolt right on to my car....this intrigues me.
Any pointers are welcome, as I like my car, but, it could always be ummm...shall we say...a little more responsive.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 09:09:37 pm »
Beware of too much oil on a K&N. Some MAFs can get badly messed up if they get that filter oil on them and then have to be laboriously cleaned or replaced
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Barrie1

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 11:59:27 pm »
The clean up kit for these is around $20.00 for the small one and you will need more Fluid then that to do a clean up right as well. Having cleaned mine on a no. of occasions I will tell you they are a Dirty job and it takes 3-4 hours at least to do it right. Not that often but you should know.  

Offline maritime_storm

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +5/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Ranger Sport 2WD, 2013 Scion FR-S 6spd Whiteout
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2005, 05:04:58 am »
Good Point TPL. Does the 2001 Neon 2.0L use a MAF? I didn't think they did.
Save the Earth, Ban slushboxes!! Real Trucks Rattle!!

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2005, 06:47:34 am »
I dont know about the Neon...I know it was an issue on Audiworld with the Bosch(?) systems on various German cars.

Sharky

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2005, 12:01:14 pm »
Well, there is a little plug seated on the tubing infront of  the filter....but I wouldn't know an MAF if it came flying through my vents and hit me in the face.  Good to know though, about too much oil getting on it....I'l check w/ my mech.

Offline davidy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2005, 12:57:27 pm »
How often are you cleaning the K&N filters? I don't drive very much per year. It's been about 30K since the filter was new over 2.5 years ago.

Dave

(Message edited by davidy on April 02, 2005)
2010 Ford Ranger FX4
Armaguard spray on liner
Truxedo Low Pro QT tonneau cover
Studded General Altimax Arctic P245/75-16 winter tires on black steelies

Barrie1

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2005, 06:21:07 pm »
I generally go by the colour as it does change from the Purplish Red colour to Black as it gets dirty. I wait until I can't see any purple colour left and then clean it.