Author Topic: Used Vehicle Review: BMW 6 Series, 2004-2010  (Read 5536 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Used Vehicle Review: BMW 6 Series, 2004-2010
« on: January 24, 2013, 06:29:17 am »

Last-generation 6-Series owners loved the styling and performance of this grand tourer, but with great complexity come many electrical glitches.

Read More...

Offline Threader

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +13/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 STI, 2012 Caravan
Re: Used Vehicle Review: BMW 6 Series, 2004-2010
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 08:08:44 am »
Quote "Duct tape is a bad sign, too." 

You sir are a master of the obvious   :rofl2:

2008 Subaru STI Performance Build Story

http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php/topic,80495.0.html

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 08:25:12 am »
I was never a fan of the 6-series style and always wondered why they never tried to reduce that giant body panel gap by the headlights.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 08:28:41 am »
This article reminds a first meeting with a new car but almost nothing about the specific issues of used BMW 6. If there is something weak in automotive journalistics, this is it - expensive and complicated used vehicles' reviews are useless for the potential buyer!

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 09:10:34 am »
Something about a two seater roadster that feels better as a smaller vehicle. This vehicle just goes over that size a feels awkward compared to even the Z4, S2000 or Miata.

Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Gardiner Westbound

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-32
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 09:47:10 am »
This article reminds a first meeting with a new car but almost nothing about the specific issues of used BMW 6. If there is something weak in automotive journalistics, this is it - expensive and complicated used vehicles' reviews are useless for the potential buyer!

+1

People read used car reviews to find out if there are issues with a certain year, make and model. Did the dealer and manufacturer treat  them properly? Were their issues corrected? Were the resolutions timely and cost-effective?

Don't want to rain on the author's parade, but this item doesn't meet that standard.
"When you invent a better mousetrap the mice tend to get smarter." - Willie Gingrich

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 02:18:44 pm »
You guys are just used to all the research I did, when I wrote the used reviews here.  ;)
I used to work here.

Northernridge

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 02:26:27 pm »

+1

People read used car reviews to find out if there are issues with a certain year, make and model. Did the dealer and manufacturer treat  them properly? Were their issues corrected? Were the resolutions timely and cost-effective?

Don't want to rain on the author's parade, but this item doesn't meet that standard.

I like the used car reviews that tell me what year had the best features/performance for a given version – real insider stuff. Sort of like how the Porsche guys know what year/model 911 to look for and which to avoid...but I don't. In terms of reliability data, that's what CR is for.

Offline Norm

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 11:54:12 pm »
... but almost nothing about the specific issues of used BMW 6.

From the review:
=============================================================================
In particular, many a driver talks about a less-than-ideal relationship with the complicated iDrive system, and more than one professional reviewer has called the system “overly complicated.”

Be sure the motorized roof operates smoothly in both directions as outlined in the owner’s manual.

Particularly, make sure the iDrive system, climate control, navigation and driver computer all work as expected.

Also, note that numerous frustrating electrical faults could be caused by a ‘weak’ battery, loose battery terminals or a bad alternator.

Avoid a model with the Active Steering system, which some online discussions suggest is overcomplicated, questionably reliable and not tremendously beneficial to the 6 Series’ driving experience.

Listen to the engine idling with the hood open. A rattling sound, possibly accompanied by a check-engine light, could be caused by a leak in an oil line that drives the variable valve timing system.

Look for signs of oil leakage from the valve covers on the 4.8L engine as well.

Models with altered engine management software, nitrous, forced-induction or suspension changes (i.e. lowering, camber) should be avoided by shoppers that aren’t very familiar with the vehicle.

Be sure to have the 6 Series’ tires, brakes and suspension checked over ahead of your purchase.

Remember, too, that the looks, performance and overall driving experience are the big draws to the 6 Series as a used car buy, and that low running costs and gas mileage are not.

If that's not enough for you, I don't know what is.

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 02:13:29 am »
How do you say, "Atrocious money-pit," in German? Really, the Bavarian gods never intended this thing to last much beyond a four year lease. Taking one on is at your financial peril. Have a look at what the extended warranty costs and you'll see how often you'll use it.

For any BMW, if you cannot afford a new one, you cannot afford a used one.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 02:22:03 am »
Hell, even if you can afford a new one of these, you can't afford a used one!!

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 08:28:08 am »
... but almost nothing about the specific issues of used BMW 6.

From the review:
In particular, many a driver talks about a less-than-ideal relationship with the complicated iDrive system, and more than one professional reviewer has called the system “overly complicated.”

Be sure the motorized roof operates smoothly in both directions as outlined in the owner’s manual.

Particularly, make sure the iDrive system, climate control, navigation and driver computer all work as expected.

Also, note that numerous frustrating electrical faults could be caused by a ‘weak’ battery, loose battery terminals or a bad alternator.

Avoid a model with the Active Steering system, which some online discussions suggest is overcomplicated, questionably reliable and not tremendously beneficial to the 6 Series’ driving experience.

Listen to the engine idling with the hood open. A rattling sound, possibly accompanied by a check-engine light, could be caused by a leak in an oil line that drives the variable valve timing system.

Look for signs of oil leakage from the valve covers on the 4.8L engine as well.

Models with altered engine management software, nitrous, forced-induction or suspension changes (i.e. lowering, camber) should be avoided by shoppers that aren’t very familiar with the vehicle.

Be sure to have the 6 Series’ tires, brakes and suspension checked over ahead of your purchase.

Remember, too, that the looks, performance and overall driving experience are the big draws to the 6 Series as a used car buy, and that low running costs and gas mileage are not.

If that's not enough for you, I don't know what is.

:iagree: Well said Norm, I thought this was a good review and serves as a warning beacon for potential buyers to investigate further.

Offline MR2Pritch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +30/-45
    • View Profile
  • Cars: I-Mark, 240sx, MR2 GTS
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 09:23:28 am »
thanks for reading, I tried to fit as many warnings as I could into the space allotted...
this is something intended for the reader to take with them as sort of a 'checklist' to a test-drive

Offline vaff3

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Accord, 2001 Acura MDX
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 12:34:57 am »
Why is it that the words "BMW" and "rats nest of electrical problems" seem to go hand in hand.  Not to mention all the other issues like oil leaks.  Good grief.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2110
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 12:52:49 am »
Why is it that the words "BMW" and "rats nest of electrical problems" seem to go hand in hand.  Not to mention all the other issues like oil leaks.  Good grief.

I stopped trusting them in the E36/E39 era.....after that they got too complicated for their own good.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline tinnemeneer

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +12/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 10:31:01 am »
Owning a 2004 645 Cabriolet for 2 years now I was more impressed by the article then by most of the reactions.

The oil leakage problem; yes, I am fully aware that that was a problem with the 6 series. And once fixed, it was gone. I can't imagine that there are any 6 series driving around with that problem anymore so there was no reason to mention it.

Last summer the alternator gave up giving very interesting errors before the car stalled. As we were in a traffic  jam in a foreign country we had no choice but so see the car die on us slowly.
A good battery and working alternator are very important for this car to function properly.

Funny enough; last winter when we started the car on a cold day the electronic car stability sensor would freak out warning us the car could flip over unexpectedly. That error would only show up below -3 Celcius and would disappear after a couple of minutes.
This winter no such errors so it might be alternator related.

That's the only issue we had with the car except fluid and tire changes. The car seems to enjoy eating rear tires. On a previous Dodge Stratus the tires would las 80,000km, now the only last 25,000 km.
Mileage; terrible in city traffic, even worse when accelerating to 255km/h in Germany (that's the top speed according to a scientific GPS a coworker had). Actually not so bad on longer trips when you can use cruise control; 8 liters per 100km is achievable.

Back seats; well duh.. no.. but, you can put a decent amount of luggage there.

iDrive; manageable, it's not terrific but not terrible either.
Adaptive steering; it needs getting used to but it's not all bad, it helps driving the car in city traffic and on fun roads I put the car in Sport mode where it stiffens up.
Adaptive suspension; makes cornering a lauging matter.

My 2 cents; best car ever. It brings me and my wife to Croatia or Portugal with a full size tent, Coleman stove, small grill (ridiculously small grill), king size airbed (203x158x45cm) and clothes to last 3 weeks. When the tent is erected, the car transforms into a small 2 seater, V8 RWD cabriolet to enjoy mountain roads.
What more could you want ? :)

I'm not a BMW fanboy, I appreciate this car on its merits, the badge is irrelevant.