Author Topic: So amazing! BMW 540i  (Read 5285 times)

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
Re: So amazing! BMW 540i
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2017, 10:29:27 am »
More to come but man this BETTER BE a nice car $90k...

Changed that for ya....

For 90K I could have a Quadrifoglio sitting in my driveway.

There is a joke about giving multiple "fogs" there somewhere.  :P

But 90 grand is 90 grand. That buys a lot more than this bimmer whose sensors will get all confused under an inch of snow. And then it will ram your door  :rofl2:

At BMW they call that a "morning wake up door knock".

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2017, 11:40:12 am »
Its kitsch "look at me" features like this which buyers of these cars live for so they can put on a nice little circus act for their friends and then never use them again.

This is exactly the kind of gimmick old BMW (or even old Mercedes, 600 Groẞer aside)  wouldn't even consider developing.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2017, 01:26:08 pm »
Its kitsch "look at me" features like this which buyers of these cars live for so they can put on a nice little circus act for their friends and then never use them again.

This is exactly the kind of gimmick old BMW (or even old Mercedes, 600 Groẞer aside)  wouldn't even consider developing.

My thoughts exactly.  They've gone from The Ultimate Driving Machine to The Ultimate in Useless Gimmicks.  They are panicking because of lost market share to Mercedes....which is happening because they're becoming too much like Mercedes. 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2017, 01:35:32 pm »

My thoughts exactly.  They've gone from The Ultimate Driving Machine to The Ultimate in Useless Gimmicks.  They are panicking because of lost market share to Mercedes....which is happening because they're becoming too much like Mercedes.

I remember as a kid always thinking that BMW was the german car to have besides a Porsche because they were the driver oriented ones, Mercedes were for old boring people......today, uhhh.....the M6 Grand Coupe looks good, besides that, I can't even think of a BMW I can honestly say I really like, let alone lust after. Mercedes however has really stepped up in my mind, their real AMG cars are all awesome, the AMG GT is one of the most stunning cars on the planet and as always, their SL is still one of the only convertibles on the planet I can stomach.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2017, 01:45:07 pm »

Not sure what gimmicky stuff MB is really developing? ??? Unless you mean self driving but honestly that's not a ginmick, it's the future.

This remote controlled car baloney is a gimmick. But it probably appeals to Modern BMW drivers.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2017, 01:57:09 pm »

Not sure what gimmicky stuff MB is really developing? ??? Unless you mean self driving but honestly that's not a ginmick, it's the future.

This remote controlled car baloney is a gimmick. But it probably appeals to Modern BMW drivers.

Massaging seats, inflatable bolsters that react in corners, adjustable ambient lighting, that kind of thing.

Now Mercedes never advertised themselves as "The Ultimate Driving Machine" and have typically had pretty opulent machines at the top end, so they may not necessarily be judged by the same yardstick.

But back in the 1960s through the 1980s, at a time when The Big Three had standard power windows and seats, Mercedes would still have wind your own windows as standard. The difference being that the window crank would be stainless steel and immaculately designed, while the power window controls on the others would be cheap plastic bits or chromed pot metal. 

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2017, 02:03:38 pm »

I'm in the range to be a modern BMW driver.  I'll eventually need to replace the Avant (horror) and  I want nothing to do with this thing. 

I'm a serious tech head too and I'd be embarrassed using the remote, not to mention the astonishingly terrible trust-fund teenager color scheme on the car.....but again, that's my opinion alone. 

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2017, 05:36:03 pm »
So much snow.....

Oh right, the film is about the car. Sure, it's a gimmick. But if it sells.......€€€ . That's all that matters to the shareholders.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2017, 06:30:50 pm »

Massaging seats, inflatable bolsters that react in corners, adjustable ambient lighting, that kind of thing.

Now Mercedes never advertised themselves as "The Ultimate Driving Machine" and have typically had pretty opulent machines at the top end, so they may not necessarily be judged by the same yardstick.

But back in the 1960s through the 1980s, at a time when The Big Three had standard power windows and seats, Mercedes would still have wind your own windows as standard. The difference being that the window crank would be stainless steel and immaculately designed, while the power window controls on the others would be cheap plastic bits or chromed pot metal.

To be honest I'm not at all convinced that any of the three things you listed compares to this remote control thing in terms of pointless gimmickry.

Maybe the inflatable bolsters. Maybe.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

But really this remote control thing was used in Tomorrow Never Dies. If it's a Bond thing it's a gimmick :)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 06:51:44 pm by mmret »

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2017, 06:57:00 pm »

To be honest I'm not at all convinced that any of the three things you listed compares to this remote control thing in terms of pointless gimmickry.

How about Swarovski Crystal headlamps?  :D

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2017, 07:47:35 pm »

You should have mentioned the light up 3 pointed star option. Bling is definitely a thing. But ultimately it's just another cosmetic option among many.

Is bling the same as parlour trick tech?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2017, 08:04:52 pm »

You should have mentioned the light up 3 pointed star option. Bling is definitely a thing. But ultimately it's just another cosmetic option among many.

Is bling the same as parlour trick tech?

Inquiring minds want to know.

According to the definition of gimmicky...

to equip or embellish with unnecessary features, especially in order to increase salability, acceptance, etc. (often followed by up):
to gimmick up a sports car with chrome and racing stripes
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 08:07:44 pm by KDS2K »

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2017, 08:14:18 pm »
I drove an E class with the inflatable bolsters last year. Kind of cool at first but then quickly became a gimmick.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2017, 08:26:37 pm »
I drove an E class with the inflatable bolsters last year. Kind of cool at first but then quickly became a gimmick.

Yeah, magnetic ride control makes much more sense to me in that regard.  In concept anyway, as I've never actually experienced either.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2017, 10:22:26 pm »

Yeah, magnetic ride control makes much more sense to me in that regard.  In concept anyway, as I've never actually experienced either.
They don't really do the same thing though. The inflatable boosters are to offset lateral G forces on your body.

I guess it's an alternative to tight fitting  Recaro seats.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2017, 07:59:53 am »
The massage seats in this are amazing

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2017, 08:41:16 am »

Really?

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2017, 10:04:36 am »

Really?

I should have been more clear. Old Mercedes ended with the W126. The W140 was the start of the gadgetry age, and reliability took a huge hit with the introduction of those models.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2017, 10:27:50 am »
I see the nostalgia settling into this thread.......... :rofl2:

"Back in the good ol' days..........."

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2017, 10:34:27 am »
Nice car and love the black wheels...

Don't get all the hate here. Its an expensive car, it better have some gadgets...the Benz E class has this as well, no?
I love it when a plan comes together.