Author Topic: Electric Vehicle News Thread  (Read 728707 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: Electric Vehicle News Thread
« Reply #720 on: February 22, 2017, 09:05:11 pm »
I showed clearly that you cherry picked an example that is not reality, and you backed that up, namely, that majority of Prius are sold in the same states where the majority of EV's are sold.
The majority of EV's are sold in states where the emissions of EV's are far far lower than those of all other vehicles (ICE).

Who cares what people in coal heavy states drive?  LET THEM EAT CAKE    :rofl2:

You're merely guessing where Prius are sold.  The coal belts have a significant number of Prius (I looked up the sales data; you didn't).  And because I knew you'd say that, I also included 2 pure ICE cars that are among the best selling cars in the US period, regardless of locale.

No cherry picking here...just fact...something that continually eludes Tesla owners.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: February 22, 2017, 09:23:40 pm »
You're merely guessing where Prius are sold

I posted facts, guess you missed the link, here it is again.
https://priuschat.com/threads/prii-per-capita-by-state.87972/

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: February 22, 2017, 09:49:04 pm »
You're merely guessing where Prius are sold

I posted facts, guess you missed the link, here it is again.
https://priuschat.com/threads/prii-per-capita-by-state.87972/

Just as I said...the numbers sold in coal states are not insignificant.

Which is why I assumed you hadn't look at the numbers.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #724 on: February 23, 2017, 06:43:52 pm »
Oops , Ontario Libs in hot water again
https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2017/02/23/ontario-subsidies-for-electric-vehicles-under-fire-after-ministers-staffer-leaves-to-work-for-tesla.html

They say "no conflict of interests".
Whether it is a good idea or not to subsidize luxury EVs, can be debated forever. Let's keep in mind that when someone buys a Tesla they support transition to clean transportation instead of putting more money into the conventional ICE technology. Besides, we take an equivalent in performance V8 off the road. So, if tax money is not an issue, then yes, we should subsidize lux EVs (but not plug-in PHEVs with 20 miles range, which likely will never see a plug and are often bough in order to access HOV lanes of ON). As it seems from this article, taxpayers in Canada have no problem trowing billions around, every year  :o   This should be a news of the day IMO...
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/15/climate-change-canada-fossil-fuel-subsidies-carbon-trudeau
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: February 23, 2017, 07:22:06 pm »

t when someone buys a Tesla they support transition to clean transportation instead of putting more money into the conventional ICE technology.

Hard to say that with a straight face when the CEO of the company supports oil company execs and those who are going to dismantle the EPA in Trumps new administration.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: February 23, 2017, 08:18:05 pm »

t when someone buys a Tesla they support transition to clean transportation instead of putting more money into the conventional ICE technology.

Hard to say that with a straight face when the CEO of the company supports oil company execs and those who are going to dismantle the EPA in Trumps new administration.

I thought we agreed Musk was doing the policy damage control there, that is making sure transition to electric drive remains on the gov-t radar  :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: February 23, 2017, 08:27:35 pm »

I thought we agreed Musk was doing the policy damage control there, that is making sure transition to electric drive remains on the gov-t radar  :)

We didn't agree.  Tesla lovers were merely in denial about this.  Although some Tesla owners have cancelled their Model III reservations over this.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: February 23, 2017, 08:37:15 pm »

We didn't agree.  Tesla lovers were merely in denial about this.  Although some Tesla owners have cancelled their Model III reservations over this.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1142
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #729 on: February 24, 2017, 05:10:57 pm »
Tesla CEO Elon Musk said earlier this week that he is OK with the government removing EV incentives as long as they do the same for fossil fuel subsidies. He even said that he raised the issue during a meeting with the president and other business leaders:
“It only came up briefly and my response is that I think it will be fine to get rid of incentives and subsidies. But that should be uniformly applied to all industries. It would obviously be wrong to get rid of any sort of government intervention in sustainable energy while retaining it in fossil fuels. If the principle is to get rid of government interventions, that should be uniformly applied and fairly applied.”
He said that there was no response given to his comment.

https://electrek.co/2017/02/24/electric-vehicle-incentives-oil-biofuel-efforts/

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: February 24, 2017, 06:08:34 pm »
Tesla CEO Elon Musk said earlier this week that he is OK with the government removing EV incentives as long as they do the same for fossil fuel subsidies. He even said that he raised the issue during a meeting with the president and other business leaders:
“It only came up briefly and my response is that I think it will be fine to get rid of incentives and subsidies. But that should be uniformly applied to all industries. It would obviously be wrong to get rid of any sort of government intervention in sustainable energy while retaining it in fossil fuels. If the principle is to get rid of government interventions, that should be uniformly applied and fairly applied.”
He said that there was no response given to his comment.

https://electrek.co/2017/02/24/electric-vehicle-incentives-oil-biofuel-efforts/

That's a very good point. Besides the price of oil could do with some growing, at least to $100 level. And then ppl who complain that they are now paying twice for gas, should be advised to buy cars with twice the MPG. Of course it would be a political suicide and even if considered the lobbyists will not allow it to happen.  :(

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: February 24, 2017, 09:46:38 pm »
the price of oil could do with some growing, at least to $100 level

Russia agrees.  Trumps masters will want the policies which have artificially deflated oil prices to punish Russia turned around.   
http://oilprice.com/Geopolitics/International/Is-The-Trump-Administration-About-To-Rescue-The-Russian-Economy.html

Trump tapped Tillerson while he served as CEO of ExxonMobil – a company that lost approximately $1 billion when the 2014 sanctions took hold. The American oil major had to pull out of a project in the Arctic Kara Sea it planned to carry out in partnership with its Russian counterpart, Rosneft.

During his Senate confirmation hearings, Tillerson complained that actions against Russia “disregarded American interests” and insisted that the U.S. maintain “open and frank dialogue” with Moscow to “establish a strong deterrent” to future geopolitical shenanigans Putin may currently be considering.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: February 24, 2017, 10:58:55 pm »
the price of oil could do with some growing, at least to $100 level

Russia agrees.  Trumps masters will want the policies which have artificially deflated oil prices to punish Russia turned around.   
http://oilprice.com/Geopolitics/International/Is-The-Trump-Administration-About-To-Rescue-The-Russian-Economy.html

Trump tapped Tillerson while he served as CEO of ExxonMobil – a company that lost approximately $1 billion when the 2014 sanctions took hold. The American oil major had to pull out of a project in the Arctic Kara Sea it planned to carry out in partnership with its Russian counterpart, Rosneft.

During his Senate confirmation hearings, Tillerson complained that actions against Russia “disregarded American interests” and insisted that the U.S. maintain “open and frank dialogue” with Moscow to “establish a strong deterrent” to future geopolitical shenanigans Putin may currently be considering.

A strong deterrent? Changing the course on Nato expansion would be a start  ;)

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: March 03, 2017, 08:07:23 pm »
Close to 100% increase in sales year to year. I have to assume the Bolt "disappointing" sales is more a factor of availability than customer not being interested. The Volt and Prius Prime are both doing very well, as is the Tesla S.

http://gas2.org/2017/03/03/us-electric-car-sales-soar-bolt-disappoints/

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: March 03, 2017, 08:25:13 pm »
Close to 100% increase in sales year to year. I have to assume the Bolt "disappointing" sales is more a factor of availability than customer not being interested. The Volt and Prius Prime are both doing very well, as is the Tesla S.

http://gas2.org/2017/03/03/us-electric-car-sales-soar-bolt-disappoints/

Un-Americanly narrow seats perhaps is what's behind  :P

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: March 07, 2017, 10:00:49 pm »

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #736 on: March 10, 2017, 04:05:33 pm »
http://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatures/20170302/how-much-does-it-really-cost-to-charge-that-electric-vehicle/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Display&utm_content=Native-NF-20170302_Real_Cost_Charging_EV&utm_campaign=CA-DSP-DM-EN-CONTENT#drAyDKeWeyJI3gxO.97

There's an article on the parent site about the costs of charging an EV, Where is the author getting his numbers because his worst case scenario for Ontario is actually my average cost per kwhr.  He states it's at most $0.2394/kwhr, which is supposedly for rural Ontario at peak times?  My average cost is $0.2344/kwhr and I'm in the city, our cottage property pays even higher rates.

Kind of skews the results.
Mr Pickypants

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: March 11, 2017, 06:29:45 pm »
I posted elsewhere here, but the all-in costs to ADD an EV to your existing bill is $0.13/kWh across much of the GTA / Toronto.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #738 on: March 11, 2017, 06:48:22 pm »
I pay around 24cents average. 

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #739 on: March 11, 2017, 07:11:10 pm »
I posted elsewhere here, but the all-in costs to ADD an EV to your existing bill is $0.13/kWh across much of the GTA / Toronto.
You are so full of BS
Off peak in Ontario is 8.7 cents plus delivery of 13.4 cents =22.13 cents plus 7%
Total 23.68 cents per kW hour
GTA could be a bit cheaper but not 1/2 price