Author Topic: Least Expensive Cars to Maintain over 10 years  (Read 2652 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: Least Expensive Cars to Maintain over 10 years
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2023, 06:46:41 pm »
Like most things when it is working it is an awesome design. Cools transmission fluid when it gets hot and warms it when it is cool. Until they mix lol. I think Nissan had trouble too. In the end it was just a poor designed fitting.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2023, 08:37:59 pm »
Like most things when it is working it is an awesome design. Cools transmission fluid when it gets hot and warms it when it is cool. Until they mix lol. I think Nissan had trouble too. In the end it was just a poor designed fitting.

Yep, 2005 - 2010 Frontiers were prone to this.  SMOD.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +38/-239
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2023, 09:21:29 pm »
For what it's worth, I love the 14+ / K2XX generation for it's styling (inside and out) and driving dynamics.....But if I ever decide to add one to the fleet I'd go in knowing full well that it'll be significantly less reliable and more expensive to maintain than my 06.

Just make sure autoride air assisted is good working order, that the thing I'd be concerned about. Overall, They like most cars, pretty average. I don't think it would be too bad if you found a well maintained one.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2023, 10:15:18 am »

Similar years. I wonder if the same part and supplier.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2023, 11:06:37 am »

SMOD? 
Sweet Meteor Of Death
Space and Missile Operations Duty
Sedimentable Mineral Organic Detritus
 ;D
Mr Pickypants

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: bugatti
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2023, 11:21:21 am »

from what I've read is was mostly radiator suppliers.  some Hondas (ridgeline, Odyssey, pilots). Nissan (frontier, xterra, pathfinder), some toyota sienna.

it's mostly vehicles that carries the same powertrain.   Seams like a dumb design to cheap out on the wall separating the 2 fluids.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2023, 01:17:20 pm »

from what I've read is was mostly radiator suppliers.  some Hondas (ridgeline, Odyssey, pilots). Nissan (frontier, xterra, pathfinder), some toyota sienna.

it's mostly vehicles that carries the same powertrain.   Seams like a dumb design to cheap out on the wall separating the 2 fluids.

It's not the "wall" it is the fitting that screws into the rad. It corrodes and starts allowing coolant to bleed into the AT fluid. I guess you could say both are at fault. There is not enough threads.