Author Topic: Food  (Read 714227 times)

avtoller

Re: Food
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2007, 09:31:14 pm »
Sorry tpl, but I think we have way too much jerk human as it is. Some even seems to find these hallowed boards from time to time.  :'( :'(  :rofl2:

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2007, 09:53:50 pm »
HMM, ive eaten snake eyeballs once in Malaysia (paid 100$ US for that buffet) and my colleagues in Korea took me out to a restaurant where we ate dog. There were several cages outside the restaurant and you could pick and choose which dog you wanted to eat.

and my colleagues in Korea took me out to a restaurant where we ate dog. There were several cages outside the restaurant and you could pick and choose which dog you wanted to eat.

Dude; appreciate your honest answer and I know that sh*t goes down on a regular basis in K-Town and obviously to some extent in your homeland  ::) , but revealing that in this country can only work against you; seriously work against you.  Best to forget that experience ENTIRELY.   :o

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2007, 08:49:14 am »
Sorry tpl, but I think we have way too much jerk human as it is. Some even seems to find these hallowed boards from time to time.  :'( :'(  :rofl2:

You are of course correct.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline The Fuzz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1/-2
  • Will not fix tickets for donuts, carrots or b**bs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2007, 09:03:56 am »
We all know how much I love dogs and the thought of eating one makes me ill....However aren't cows sacred in some Religions yet we think nothing about chopping them up for food? What about chickens? Does anyone keep them as pets?

Different cultures, different views.
Everyone hates us until they need us.

UmroAyyar

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2007, 09:47:33 am »
 :think: :run: :fall:

UmroAyyar

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2007, 10:51:19 am »
Didn't and still don't have words to express my astonishment and bewilderment.

I clicked on the topic called 'FOOD', this is way too bizarre for me. A lot of things considered food in my culture are bizarre for me. (goat/cow cooked brain, not with the animal attached, intestines, testicles other organs etc). I am a regular omnivore.

The monkey is story is pure horror.

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2007, 10:56:27 am »
Eating meat (chicken/Fish/Cow/Dog/Cat) is a option available to everyone.
The % of vegetarian people in the country i came from are more than any other country in the world.

Eating cow is not allowed in my religion but i have dinner with freinds who have stake.
Eating pig (bacon) is not allowed in Muslim religion but i have muslim friends who will sit with me while i have a peperoni pizza.

The bottom line is i decided to come to this country, so while i can decide what i can eat and what i cannot, i have no right to criticize what others believe is food for them.

I have several friends who will not go to restaurant that even serves eggs  forget Chicken/Fish (look at the popularity of 100% veg restaurants in Tor/Miss/Brampton).

So if Koreans want to eat dog/monkey so be it. Its their way of life. If you go to their land you have a option to try their culture and decide what is right for you without offending them, choice is yours.., if you cannot stand it go bak to your own country, no one stops you...

PS: This is democracy, if a new restaurant opens in the Korean/Chinese dominated neighbourhood of Toronto/Vancouver serving dog/Monkey, all you can do is not go to that restaurant, you cannot close it down.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 11:04:29 am by Chetan »

UmroAyyar

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2007, 10:59:59 am »
There % of vegetarian people in the country i came from are more than any other country in the world.

Eating cow is not allowed in my religion but i have dinner with freinds who have stake.
Eating pig (bacon) is not allowed in Muslim religion but i have muslim friends who will sit with me while i have a peperoni pizza.

The bottom line is i decided to come to this country, so while i can decide what i can eat and what i cannot i have no right to criticize what other believe i food for them.

I have several friends who will not go to restaurant that even serves eggs  forget Chicken/Fish (look at the popularity of 100% veg restaurants in Tor/Miss/Brampton).

So if Koreans want to eat dog/monkey so be it. Its their way of life. If you go to their land you have a option to try their culture and decide what is right for you without offending them choice is yours..

:iagree: I've witnessed the same. (although a bit unrelated to your post, my rant was about my habits).

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2007, 11:32:06 am »
~snip~
you have a option to try their culture and decide what is right for you without offending them, choice is yours.
~snip~

Chetan,

Thanks for the open minded view.  That was all I meant when I said some people are taking personal offence to what other culture does.

I am sure some here are going to argue that dog is companion/family/friends, and I wouldn't argue that.  I had a family dog I loved more than I loved most people.   But to some, they are food/tools/just animal.   The same goes for a lot of animals we eat here.   Cows, horses, birds, little piggies.

Some of you arguing it's not "out of necessity", what is, then?  Does everything in your life doing things "out of necessity"? you don't do anything to enjoy it?

I wouldn't advocate eating dog, and personally would discourage other's from doing so, however that's my personal agenda. 

Anyway, back to topic.  I'm eating roasted Almonds.  Bought bulk at Safeway.  I'm sure this is exotic food somewhere. ;D

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2007, 11:38:24 am »
I am well aware of other cultures and their choices of food, but I object to the posts describing, in graphic detail, how this is done.  Completely unnecessary.

Save the gross-out for your coworkers.

UmroAyyar

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2007, 11:39:40 am »
I am going to eat Ladyfinger (its Bhindi/Okra not the flesh :P) fried with Imli (tamarind) in oil.  :lick:

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2007, 11:43:07 am »
I am havinb beans cooked in tomato gravy with roti

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2007, 12:49:44 pm »
I could go fer a coupla Budgie Burger right about now........Whose a naughty BOY..... ;)
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2007, 12:54:35 pm »
The % of vegetarian people in the country i came from are more than any other country in the world.

The bottom line is i decided to come to this country, so while i can decide what i can eat and what i cannot, i have no right to criticize what others believe is food for them.

I have several friends who will not go to restaurant that even serves eggs  forget Chicken/Fish (look at the popularity of 100% veg restaurants in Tor/Miss/Brampton).

So if Koreans want to eat dog/monkey so be it. Its their way of life. If you go to their land you have a option to try their culture and decide what is right for you without offending them, choice is yours.., if you cannot stand it go bak to your own country, no one stops you...

PS: This is democracy, if a new restaurant opens in the Korean/Chinese dominated neighbourhood of Toronto/Vancouver serving dog/Monkey, all you can do is not go to that restaurant, you cannot close it down.

I don't think your getting it, WHATSOEVER.  ::)  It's got nothing to do with a democracy.  If a restaurant opened up in Toronto where ppl went to a section of the restaurant where full grown dogs where locked up in cages, then on a whim a dog would be sliced up in the kitchen while still alive, for the purposes of a restaurant dinner, I can assure you all participants involved would find themselves in jail and hopefully then DEPORTED.  I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the Hell's Angles came and killed the owners as a public service.  :thumbup:

Try this; on your next job interview when it comes to the point "tell us a little bit about yourself", tell the caged dog restaurant story.  :P

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2007, 02:20:02 pm »
Big green gobs of greasy grimey gopher guts....

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2007, 08:43:09 pm »
We all know how much I love dogs and the thought of eating one makes me ill....However aren't cows sacred in some Religions yet we think nothing about chopping them up for food? What about chickens? Does anyone keep them as pets?

Different cultures, different views.

I understand your point, but I just see it as Dogs have been cherished as the human companions, friends for over 10,000 years, not raised as food, even in Asia. Tibetan monks were raising Llasa Apso's, Pekinese and Shih-Tzus strictly as companion animals as early as 2,500 years ago.

Eating dogs came out of necessity to avoid starvation, but unfortunately stuck around in places like North Korea (starvation still the case in N.Korea) so I understand that, but having it on the menu of a restaurant is not out of need, so I think that's just wrong. :P

Actually the practice is also found in S. Korea, they make a dog soup called bosintang see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosintang.  This was greatly criticized by activist during the S.Korean olympics.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2007, 08:45:07 pm »
Ate a Maple Leaf hot dog for dinner and a cup of tea.

avtoller

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2007, 09:18:21 pm »
Ate a Maple Leaf hot dog for dinner and a cup of tea.

Ah, the old "mystery meat in a tube" meal.  :drool: :drool: :love: :rofl2: :rofl:

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2007, 11:54:56 am »
Did you guys know that honey(one from bees, not your loved ones) can sometimes last thousands of years without rotting?

I read and saw tv show that said explorer's found honey in egypts' pyramid that is like more than thousand years old and it was still in edible state.

...should one take this as good sign of anti aging agent for human? ;D

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2007, 12:04:42 pm »
..doggone it...must try that...will ask MUMMY tanite.....................Buzz off.... :run: