Author Topic: The Contractor/Handy home owner thread - Power tools, fun toys & cool projects  (Read 204315 times)

wongpong

Post content deleted at request of original poster.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 09:36:06 pm by autoTRADER.ca »

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
Oh boy, tools :)
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Slowly been building up my Dewalt Max 20V line up.  Bought some on Black Friday, and Boxing day.  Recip saw with 5AH battery, and hedge trimmers. My 18V drill, and impact driver is still going strong.  But if it needed to be replaced, I would make sure it was a 1/2" chuck.  When I need the 1/2" chuck, I use my corded one. 

If I did a lot of indoor work, one of the first I would be getting are the LED tripod lights.  No need to worry about the bulbs breaking, the heat, or too much power being used.  Next on the list would be a  12 inch, double bevel, sliding compound mitre saw. 

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Let me start.   looking for couple big purchases.  Table saw and mitre saw 10" sliding .  Leaning towards Ridgid portable for table saw, mitre saw don't know I keep changin my mind

-Ridgid Portable 10"  has good review and affordable.
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.15-amp-10-inch-heavy-duty-portable-table-saw.1000155721.html

I like the idea of having all the same brand but Bosch make such nice tools!

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.10-inch-dual-bevel-glide-mitre-saw.1001022904.html

This rigid is affordable but I don't know about the quality.  the old version had really good review but they don't make it anymore.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.10-inch-sliding-miter-saw.1001093823.html

I'm also looking for a full set of power tools that would work off the same batteries.  I own Milwaukee right now which are bullet proof but they don't make all the tools.  Orbital sander, hand saw, reciprocating saw, grinder, dremel, jigsaw, router.

For the saw, it's a pain to flip the board over or lift it up a bit all the time because your saw (10") won't reach the desired width, and even more of a pain at an angle.  I find this will crown moulding and stuff like that. 

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
The Bosch one is nice.  But for about the same amount of money, in the Home Depot flyer, you can get the 12" Dewalt one with a rolling stand for $799

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/value-centre/weekly-flyer.html

Any jobs lined up right now? Mostly indoor ? Outdoor?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
I have the 12" Bosch for about 10 years , with a stand , to bad you were closer , I would sell it you
https://www.boschtools.com/ca/en/boschtools-ocs/miter-saws-gcm12sd-33969-p/

This is were I get my equipment for work

http://www.shortridge.com

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
70+ boxes of laminate for our main and second floor....a lot more than I thought

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
The Bosch one is nice.  But for about the same amount of money, in the Home Depot flyer, you can get the 12" Dewalt one with a rolling stand for $799

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/value-centre/weekly-flyer.html

Any jobs lined up right now? Mostly indoor ? Outdoor?

A friend told me he doesn’t like the 12in blade because of the deflection in it. He’s been doing finishing work for a while. I guess it’s preference If I go 12 rigid has a deal, if you buy the saw it come with the rolling stand for like 600.

The don’t really have work lined up except small stuff. Initially i wanted to start with decks fencing, bathroom, basement and stuff but the snow does not want to leave and its hard when your company is only couple months  old.  People ask for previous project references and i dont have any( except millions dollard+ commercial but its not relatable)  So i met with a guy and I’ll start doing finishing work and maybe cabinets too whish is good!! Im also taking a training for Epoxy flooring in April.  I also have an agreement with another guys for commercial work.  Hes more of a residential guy and has no clue about commercial or paperwork. Since i have tons of experience in that I bid couple tenant improvement (office). If we get them(or some) then I manage/paperwork as well as onsite work and he supply’s labor.

The Dewalt in the flyer comes with the stand too, another deal to May 2nd.  One thing to keep in mind 12" blades are more expensive.  But Rona has a good exchange program. 

I would try to build it up as slow as possible.  Sometimes it's hard as a tool is necessary for a job.  But depending on the tool, maybe it can be buy used, borrowed, rented, until you have the cash to buy one. 

I would recommend the Dewalt Max 20V cordless tools, they practically make everything.  And the batteries range from 2Ah to 5Ah.  I bet when soon they will have a kit deal.  5 to 9 piece deal.  Comes with the storage bag, charger, batteries. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
I'm doing less and less work myself....not as fun anymore and I value my spare time more.

Or I'm just a lazy POS?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
What kind of tools do women like?  Ridgid  :P
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Are you going use battery nailor or use an air compressor ?

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
The name's Nailer. Brad Nailer  ;D

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
I always wanted to be handy around the house.  Unfortunately my skills are extremely limited and always hire out for things that need to be done.  :(    I am replacing the front deck of my house with composite this spring.  I would LOVE to be able to do this myself, but it's just not gonna happen. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Dont know. Probably both, i just dont know how good those battery nailers are(ridgid). I already have an Air one but my compressor is small and noisy. Ok for around the house but not for actual work.

I do have a Paslode framing nailer that works on gas cartridges and battery and the thing is amazing!

My buddy used to have 3 nailors, 2 compressors.  Depending on the job, he would need one or the other.  Bought a battery one, works pretty good.  The only time he uses the air compressor one is when he is framing a large basement.  But for baseboards, casing, crown moulding, other trim, all done with the battery one. 

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Dont know. Probably both, i just dont know how good those battery nailers are(ridgid). I already have an Air one but my compressor is small and noisy. Ok for around the house but not for actual work.

I do have a Paslode framing nailer that works on gas cartridges and battery and the thing is amazing!

My buddy used to have 3 nailors, 2 compressors.  Depending on the job, he would need one or the other.  Bought a battery one, works pretty good.  The only time he uses the air compressor one is when he is framing a large basement.  But for baseboards, casing, crown moulding, other trim, all done with the battery one.

Do you know which brand he has?

I will check for you.  Post it tonight. 

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Do you know which brand he has?

Just got off the phone with them now.  They are both Ridgid (the one that goes with compressor, and the battery operated one)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Not for what you're doing, a buddy has a palm nailer..basically replaces a hammer. Cool as hell.

https://youtu.be/Q6d5E0teyMA

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Works especially well when nailing in brackets too!

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Usually auctions like that are in small adverts in the back pages of local newspapers.  The auctioneer are in the Yellow pages and I bet you can get on their mailing list for when an auction will be held.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
Anybody know where I could find auctions for construction tools around Calgary?

Try Graham Auctions, they have tools quite often.