Author Topic: Which (newish) Jeep should I buy for $20-$30k?  (Read 13458 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-434
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: Which (newish) Jeep should I buy for $20-$30k?
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2017, 01:31:50 pm »
My vote:   Grand Cherokee with the V8 hemi and quadra-trac.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2017, 02:44:03 pm »
This is a VERY odd way to decide which car to buy.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2017, 03:02:17 pm »
yet not an uncommon one. i get people coming on the lot saying exactly this... "hi, I'm here to drive a jeep" yet haven't narrowed it down to even the actual model of Jeep.

"thinking patriot, or maybe the new renegade... and i'd like to drive a rubicon... oh, and a laredo, is that the same thing?"

literal conversation i have had.

they usually turn out to have a 300/month budget, anything longer than 5 years is crazy, and think navigation is standard.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2017, 03:10:42 pm »

they usually turn out to have a 300/month budget, anything longer than 5 years is crazy, and think navigation is standard.

LOL  ;D

My wife says why are you waiting for the Model 3.. just buy the S...OK and the 60K price difference....LOL

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2017, 03:49:11 pm »
Um, it's $250/month, 3 years tops, and what do you mean "think" navigation is standard...It IS.  Period.  Meet my demands or I'm going elsewhere, where I'm certain I'll find a salesperson who is able to give me what I want.

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Toyota Corolla S, 2013 Honda Civic EX, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2004 Chrysler Sebring, 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon, 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan, 2009 MINI Cooper, 2016 VW Golf TSI Sportwagen
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2017, 03:51:18 pm »
yet not an uncommon one. i get people coming on the lot saying exactly this... "hi, I'm here to drive a jeep" yet haven't narrowed it down to even the actual model of Jeep.

"thinking patriot, or maybe the new renegade... and i'd like to drive a rubicon... oh, and a laredo, is that the same thing?"

literal conversation i have had.

I see what you're saying but a  more relevant question when buying used surely?  i.e. an older/high mileage Wrangler/Grand Cherokee vs. a nearly new version of one of the other cars.  If it was the main family car, then I would go for the most spacious option (so probably the Grand Cherokee) but I don't necessarily need a big car but I do want 4 seats and AWD and some luxury features.  Likewise, the powertrain.  I can see the appeal of the more powerful V6 and V8 engines but then I currently drive a 120 horsepower MINI, so I'm sure the four cylinder would be adequate and cheaper to run.  I'm attracted to a Jeep because I like the style and heritage but from my experience have also found the AWD/4WD systems (I appreciate that they vary from vehicle to vehicle) to be a cut above the competition.  Yes, the Wrangler and Grand Cherokee are substantially different but is there really that much difference between the other three, other than styling and size?

I could say the same about Porsche.  I would like to own one of their sports cars (Boxster/Cayman/911) and in that case might weigh up a newer Boxster/Cayman vs. an older 911 but yes, it would be odd if I was cross-shopping them with a Macan or Panamera or whatever but then the Jeeps are more similar kinds of vehicles than those Porsches.

Finally, there are budgetary constraints.  If money was no object.  It would be a Grand Cherokee Limited/Overland with the 8-speed and a Hemi but for my budget, I'm not sure if that is realistic and if it was viable that vehicle would probably be quite leggy and possibly in worse condition, so one of the smaller vehicles might be a better buy.

I would personally find it a bit strange to cross-shop all the cars in one class.  I might test out a Civic but maybe I don't like the Focus (certainly not for the Powers*** transmission), I do however quite like the Fusion and the Fiesta ST, so if I could pick up one of those for the same money as a Civic/Focus then why not?  For me, it's about getting the best vehicle for my money/payment and that doesn't necessarily mean cross-shopping across the same class.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2017, 03:54:50 pm »
I know you want a ‘Jeep’ and you have had good experiences with FCA, but I’d keep my options open...at $30k you can definitely land an amazing deal on a Honda CRV (new model) or other CUVs out there that are superior to what Jeep offers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Toyota Corolla S, 2013 Honda Civic EX, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2004 Chrysler Sebring, 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon, 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan, 2009 MINI Cooper, 2016 VW Golf TSI Sportwagen
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2017, 04:10:45 pm »
I know you want a ‘Jeep’ and you have had good experiences with FCA, but I’d keep my options open...at $30k you can definitely land an amazing deal on a Honda CRV (new model) or other CUVs out there that are superior to what Jeep offers.

I don't really like Honda's CVT transmission but I get your point.  Keep an open mind.  I write a few car reviews for the local newspaper, so get to try some of these vehicles out for myself on an extended test drive and I'm always prepared to be pleasantly surprised by something...but I don't specifically want a compact SUV, I want a Jeep!  No hurry though, the MINI is still running well and I still like it, so I have the luxury to wait for the right vehicle to come along at the right price. :)

I would consider an AWD Audi A4/Mercedes-Benz C-Class/BMW 3-Series in this budget too but I don't have the dealer backup in my area and although it's possible that they might be more reliable, they would no doubt cost more to fix!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2017, 04:13:06 pm »

I don't really like Honda's CVT transmission but I get your point.  Keep an open mind.  I write a few car reviews for the local newspaper, so get to try some of these vehicles out for myself on an extended test drive and I'm always prepared to be pleasantly surprised by something...but I don't specifically want a compact SUV, I want a Jeep!  No hurry though, the MINI is still running well and I still like it, so I have the luxury to wait for the right vehicle to come along at the right price. :)

I would consider an AWD Audi A4/Mercedes-Benz C-Class/BMW 3-Series in this budget too but I don't have the dealer backup in my area and although it's possible that they might be more reliable, they would no doubt cost more to fix!
Please get a used X-5 or MB ;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2017, 04:27:26 pm »

Why not just get a bottle of Nyquil and catch a cab everywhere, about as exciting as a CUV.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2017, 05:02:43 pm »

Please get a used X-5 or MB ;D

OK.  What could go wrong?  Maybe I'll just get a Range Rover.  ;)

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2017, 05:41:15 pm »

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/red-deer/1982-jeep-cj/1318679711?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

The wheels are a little ugly but otherwise pretty nice. I think 1982 counts as new-ish since Jeep has been around a while.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2017, 05:46:51 pm »
yeah brit, i get your point. (and my comment regarding those types of customers wasn't directed at you!).

but when you mention something like heritage... part of the heritage is the toledo plant... that made tanks and stuff during the war while it churned out jeeps... still where every wrangler has been made ever since.

the renegade is made in italy... on an alfa platform... that is fwd based... with a german transmission...

really going against the heritage if i do say so myself. your mentioning of porsche is kind of funny... even on a base model... or a luxury model... or a sedan.. or an suv, their purpose is to be a high end sports car. drivelines are all geared towards being similar... more power, rwd based, driver first. porsche is probably the worst brand you could have picked!

under the jeep brand, there are engines for efficiency, for torque, for hp, for racing, for towing... paired with fwd, rwd, awd, 4x4... unibody or body on frame... vehicles meant to sell in the mid teens to vehicles over 100000 grand. they are all over the place.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2017, 09:27:31 am »
have you sat in one?

when people talk about those and how nice they are, it really makes me wonder... those interiors are the epitome of hard plastic and the "rock bottom" that was hit for chrysler interiors. compared with some other ones out there (looking at you mazda and subaru) they are still not that far from some newer interiors, but i never found them a nice place to be.

kick ass power though. beats the newer ones in the quarter.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2017, 09:55:54 am »
I would think buying a used SRT-8 requires balls of steel or at the very least a large reserve fund.  Those vehicles can't have been treated nicely.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2017, 10:04:35 am »
most people paying 65k for a jeep in the late 2000's weren't all about racing... they just wanted the best jeep they could get and it seemed a bargain compared to the comparables. i wouldn't be as frightened. the ones local to me were real estate agents who wanted to impress while still seeming like they "support local" by buying domestic... whatever that means anymore.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2017, 10:31:30 am »
I would think buying a used SRT-8 requires balls of steel or at the very least a large reserve fund.  Those vehicles can't have been treated nicely.

Oh yeah....they were purchased by older people that just wanted something unique from their neighbors X5/RX350/ML in their executive 55 and over complex. I would have no problems buying one, plus its a Chrysler product, cheap as borscht to fix.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2017, 10:55:28 am »
but to the topic and customer in question... no. wrong fit again. "newish" was mentioned... performance was barely mentioned...

so a roughly 10 year old drag SUV is hardly the best choice. might as well go back to saying a miata or a subaru is the best choice for a newish jeep.

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2017, 11:08:31 am »
yeah brit, i get your point. (and my comment regarding those types of customers wasn't directed at you!).

but when you mention something like heritage... part of the heritage is the toledo plant... that made tanks and stuff during the war while it churned out jeeps... still where every wrangler has been made ever since.

the renegade is made in italy... on an alfa platform... that is fwd based... with a german transmission...

really going against the heritage if i do say so myself. your mentioning of porsche is kind of funny... even on a base model... or a luxury model... or a sedan.. or an suv, their purpose is to be a high end sports car. drivelines are all geared towards being similar... more power, rwd based, driver first. porsche is probably the worst brand you could have picked!

under the jeep brand, there are engines for efficiency, for torque, for hp, for racing, for towing... paired with fwd, rwd, awd, 4x4... unibody or body on frame... vehicles meant to sell in the mid teens to vehicles over 100000 grand. they are all over the place.

Fair point, a lot of the brand heritage is in the styling on the Renegade.  Isn't that true of most manufacturers though?  You're making it sound like the Alfa platform and ZF transmission are a bad thing.  The Alfa Giulietta is a great little car and if you didn't have that modern platform to use, you would still be using the Dodge Caliber platform...  The ZF, particularly the 8-speed is used by many of the world's best luxury vehicles...it's a great transmission.  Dodge don't exactly have the best rep for transmissions anyway do they?  Why did I get rid of my 2001 Grand Cherokee?  The transmission s*** itself!  Also, it's a transverse engine platform, so better for packaging in a smaller vehicle and hence the need for a front-biased AWD system.  You could make a "proper" body-on-frame small SUV with low-range and diff locks and all that but then you would end up with a Suzuki Jimny and believe me, you wouldn't want that!  It could be quite expensive and not very competitive with other manufacturers.  Don't get me wrong, the Jimny is a very rugged little SUV that has the potential to shame a Land Rover Defender off-road but you wouldn't want to spend any length of time on the highway in one.  I've owned a Fiat 500 and I wouldn't say the Renegade drives anything like that, it still has a Jeep character and feel to it in my opinion.  We could go on and extend this to the Grand Cherokee (and Chrysler 300), which run on Mercedes-Benz platforms, which leaves the Wrangler as the only "pure" Jeep.  It's very cool and iconic (not unlike the Land Rover Defender) but it's not going to be suitable for everyone.

Platform-sharing has made Jeep more accessible as a brand.  Look at Land Rover in comparison.  Since its divorce from British Leyland and subsequently Austin Rover, Rover, BMW and Ford, they don't have any "cheaper" brands to borrow stuff from.  The Freelander used to be their entry-level model...and was based on the same platform as the subcompact Rover 200 and used Rover engines.  The use of Rover switchgear in the interior was also pretty obvious.  Not a great car really but it was quite affordable.  Today, you can get an Evoque or Discovery Sport and maybe they feel a bit more luxurious and "bespoke" but you won't get much change from $50k even for a relatively basic one.  Like the Renegade/Compass/Cherokee, some might also say that these two models aren't "proper" Land Rovers but like Jeeps, AWD/4WD Land Rovers all have a modicum of off-road ability.  Oh, and they use the same "German" transmissions as Jeep!  Land Rover have done alright in recent years and they now have three platforms to build on but if they had been part of a bigger group, then they might have been able to expand a bit quicker.  The Defender cool and iconic though it was, was pretty badly built and in most objective measures not very good, plus quite expensive to build due to its traditional construction.  Still no sign of a replacement though.

I'll stick by my guns re Porsche.  Don't forget that Porsche is a member of the VW group.  To be fair, I think that the original Panamera might have been all Porsche but scratch the surface of the new one and you'll find an Audi A8, likewise the Macan is based on an Audi Q5 and a Cayenne on a VW Touareg and they're built on the same production line in Bratislava in Germa...no wait, Slovakia!  They even share some V6 gasoline and diesel engines.  I'm not saying that's a bad thing necessarily and I'm sure that the Porsche engineers have made some tweaks to make them a sharper drive but a 2 ton diesel automatic Macan with a VW/Audi engine is pretty far removed from my ideals of what a Porsche should be like.  With regards to pricing, it's just as diverse if not more so, just starting at a higher level.  $55k for a basic Macan up to $300k+ for a 911 GT2 RS (doesn't look like you can buy a 918 anymore which would have been even more).