Author Topic: 2014 BMW 335i xDrive  (Read 1937 times)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
2014 BMW 335i xDrive
« on: June 25, 2017, 02:11:04 pm »
So I'm in Toronto this weekend visiting my brother and since I think I want a 335i for my next car I figured it would be a good opportunity to drive a couple to see if I actually like them. So I made arrangements to look at two of them yesterday morning before we met up with friends in the afternoon.

First stop was at BMW Toronto which is an incredible facility. There we took out a white on black 2014 335i xDrive, manual and fairly loaded with the premium package, both M Performance packages, and the ConnectedDrive services pack. Only package it didn't have is executive (heads up display, auto high beams, heated rear seats, sunshades, etc). It had just under 50k on it and they were asking $42k. The M Performance II package gives you the M power kit and exhaust so it has 326 hp vs 300 for the normal 335i.

We took it for a spin up and down the DVP and on some surface streets. Luckily the DVP was moving quickly so I could get a good feel for the car. Obviously it's quite quick, as expected. The ride and handling were also great. The car was very composed even on bumpy downtown streets despite the fairly large 19" wheels. The sport seats were very comfortable as well, and I really liked the seating position. The interior is fairly simple and I like it better than most modern interiors. The very large (8.8") display sits high on the dash, angled slightly towards the driver. The M Performance exhaust has a nice growl to it; slightly aggressive without being too loud. I was very impressed with all aspects of the car and this particular example was very, very clean as well.

One disappointment was with the CPO warranty. BMW has recently changed the warranty from 6/160 to 5/160. This particular car had a fairly late in-service date so it still had a full two years remaining on the warranty. Honestly, if I wanted a white one, this would be an excellent buy.

Next stop was at a Subaru dealer to check out what was advertised as a 335i M Performance Edition. I knew it wasn't a true MPE because it lacked the piano black interior trim that all the MPEs have, but it did seem to have all the M Performance bits that those cars have. So obviously someone had spent quite a bit of money for those parts. The car was black with a red interior which is a great combo. Looking it over it wasn't nearly as clean as the first one I drove but it was also priced at just $36k with 60k on it. It had just come up on AutoTrader the day before. We met the saleswoman and she went to get the keys and came back five minutes later with bad news: The car had just been sold. She tried to convince me to check out a 328i wagon they had but I said I was only interested in manuals. Unfortunately we wasted quite a bit of timing driving back and forth to this dealer but what can you do.

Funny enough, I had sent the ad for this black one to my wife and her response was BUY IT.  ;D

On our way back from the Subaru store we spotted a new Valencia orange 3-series wagon that also had all the M Performance parts on it. Very nice looking car.

So long story short, I guess I just need to wait for the right car to come along. Manual 335s are fairly popular, at least with xDrive. There's a lot of estoril blue ones around which is one of my favourite colours though I'm hoping a Valencia Orange or Laguna Seca Blue MPE becomes available at some point.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: 2014 BMW 335i xDrive
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 02:41:07 pm »
Nice summing up of your test drive. FWIW I applaud your colour choices.

I just found out about the reduction in CPO warranty duration as well. It must be a fairly recent change. You can actually still get 6/160 coverage on CPO but they want to charge extra now for the 6th year.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 03:03:23 pm by sailor723 »
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 03:29:41 pm »
Sounds like a fun morning! Too bad the black-on-red one got away - that's by far my favourite current 3-series BMW colour combo. Did you mind the run-flat tires or was the ride decent enough?

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 05:34:10 pm »
Sounds like a fun day of car hunting/driving.  I didn't think the 335xi manuals were overly common but I'm glad to here they are.  Is there a reason why you would pick this over a similar year Audi S4? 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 08:26:13 pm »
Nice summing up of your test drive. FWIW I applaud your colour choices.

I just found out about the reduction in CPO warranty duration as well. It must be a fairly recent change. You can actually still get 6/160 coverage on CPO but they want to charge extra now for the 6th year.

The sales person said the change happened in the last month. He quoted me almost $2k to extend it by a year, and almost $4k to extend it by two years. Quite pricey.

Sounds like a fun morning! Too bad the black-on-red one got away - that's by far my favourite current 3-series BMW colour combo. Did you mind the run-flat tires or was the ride decent enough?

Honestly, the run-flats seemed fine to me.

There's actually another black-on-red M Performance Edition for sale in Montreal but they are asking $45k without CPO so it's a bit more than I'd like to spend. If it's still there in a few weeks I might look into it though.

Sounds like a fun day of car hunting/driving.  I didn't think the 335xi manuals were overly common but I'm glad to here they are.  Is there a reason why you would pick this over a similar year Audi S4? 

I don't like the interior of the S4 at all. It's quite dated. I think the cars look great, especially the facelifted models with the black optics package. I saw a couple of those this weekend including a dark blue one and they look awesome. My buddy also has an S5 (V8 automatic) and I was a bit underwhelmed when I drove it. I was sort of tempted to get one because Audi has some good rates on CPO cars but a facelifted model would end up being as much as a 335i anyways. If they were significantly cheaper I'd probably consider it though.

Honestly, the white one I drove is very tempting. If it was blue I'd probably pull the trigger. Was nice to see such a clean car. The salesperson did say that if there were any blemishes (scratches, dings, chips) they'd take care of it.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 08:28:42 pm by OliverD »

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 08:49:30 pm »
Sounds like a fun weekend Oliver.  Go for the LSB........such an amazing colour!!!    :)
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline jman72

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-5
  • petrolhead
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Golf GTI
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 08:54:10 pm »
Nice review. How does the power and ride compare to your GTI?

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 09:06:21 pm »
Next time give me a shout, could have let you drive mine. Good luck with the hunt.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 09:07:58 pm »
Sounds like a fun weekend Oliver.  Go for the LSB........such an amazing colour!!!    :)

I know! We spotted a new LSB M3 today and it looked incredible.

Nice review. How does the power and ride compare to your GTI?

Definitely noticeably faster. Not surprising since it has an extra 100 hp. The ride I found comparable to the GTI in terms of comfort. It sort of feels similar to the GTI, just better. I was impressed. The only negative I'd say is the same complaint I have about the GTI: it's just a bit too refined and I sort of want something more hardcore. But at the same time I want something that's comfortable for daily driving and road trips. At least the 335i has the adaptive suspension with multiple modes.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 09:09:35 pm »
Next time give me a shout, could have let you drive mine. Good luck with the hunt.

Thanks, I'll do that. Weekend was already jam-packed as both my brothers live in Toronto and I had a couple other friends in town as well.

Grahn

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 10:10:47 am »
Definitely a fun weekend. My friend on facebook is driving this car. Didn't get a chance to drive it myself, but it looks great.