Author Topic: Car for the wife  (Read 4531 times)

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX5 Signature - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
Car for the wife
« on: December 14, 2017, 10:37:55 am »
So my wife is talking about replacing her 2010 Mazda 5 (5MT) sometimes in the spring or sooner. She is a fan of EV and I just managed to convince her that it would be more practical to get like a plug in hybrid.
So far we have test a number of vehicles:
Ford Focus EV - she really like it
Toyota Prius - she wanted to leave before she even drove it (based on looks) and after she drove it she punched me because on how bad the car is and that it does not have soul and is super slow, bust of all how ugly it is
Ford CMax plug in - almost the same feeling as the Prius
Mazda CX 5 - she likes it a lot but cannot get over the fact that is an SUV and after the test drive she acknowledged that she is not an SUV/CUV type of girl and could not see herself driving one
Hyundai Ioniq - she really liked the car
Chevy Volt - she loves this one and she has been sending me pictures of the Volt in blue (her favouite colour) every time I ask her what she wants from Santa

I am trying to convince her to test a Mazda 6 (it is my favourite)I am not sure that she'll go for it (if a Mazda 6wagon would be available in Canada she would buy one in a heart bit).

She only likes hatchbacks and wagons and she really enjoys the power that the EV's have. We are only a small family with a tiny 9 year old girl and a Chihuahua so we don't need big cars or SUV's when we travel as we always use a roof box.
In the end I think she will just choose the Volt but I am hopeful that Mazda 6 will be a runner up.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
Re: Car for the wife
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 10:40:44 am »
Golf Wagon? 

Or the Kia Niro.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 10:43:12 am »
Based on what you've written, I'd say the Volt sounds like the best option for you guys... well more for her, but happy wife, happy life, right!?  :rofl2:

And I'll 2nd tortoise's suggestion of Golf Wagon... maybe even an Alltrack in manual?
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 10:46:08 am »
Based on what you've written, I'd say the Volt sounds like the best option for you guys...

Yeah, you're totally getting a Volt.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 10:49:24 am »
Volt...

but you should test drive the Nissan Leaf.

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 10:52:25 am »
Based on what you've written, I'd say the Volt sounds like the best option for you guys... well more for her, but happy wife, happy life, right!?  :rofl2:

And I'll 2nd tortoise's suggestion of Golf Wagon... maybe even an Alltrack in manual?

The only FGC shell ever consider is the Audi A3 hatchback and more precisely the E-Tron. When I test drove the Golf to compare with the Mazda 3 she just plain asked me why would I even go close to a VW. Not sure I really understand but she just has a very open aversion against VW. So I wont even try to bring it up. Also she is done with driving manuals due to the fact that her left knee is kind of wonky and has almost lost feelings in her left foot (bad car accident when she was 17 is catching up with her).

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 11:35:23 am »
Sounds like she has already decided on the Volt. Only thing left to do now is locate one on blue.  ;D
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 01:42:33 pm »
Have you considered a 2016 Buick Envision Premium II?  I mean, sure, it's a CUV, and sure, it has an automatic...but it will get 32MPG on the highway, which is better than any EV, and don't forget the three-zone climate control in case you and your wife get into a fight - being in different climate[-controlled zones]s means you can't hear each other.  No more punches to your arm.

Perfect solution.

Move aside, MIATA, 2016 Buick Envision Premium II is the new answer!!!!!

In all seriousness, the Volt is a fantastic car.  If she's content to give up the MT for fuel economy gains, you can't do better than that.

"BUY ME!"

...but, ooooh, shiny!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 01:44:12 pm by No-san »

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 04:58:07 pm »
Volt is a great car for commuting, but I would consider a new Leaf as well. Not the current one.
My friend has ionic EV and likes it very much. He said it lost range during the last couple of days. He used to get 250 in the autumn, but now gets 170 for the last couple of days. It's still not bad for most people's commuting needs.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 05:15:24 pm »
Honda Clarity is coming too

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 05:22:33 pm »
So my wife is talking about replacing her 2010 Mazda 5 (5MT) sometimes in the spring or sooner. She is a fan of EV and I just managed to convince her that it would be more practical to get like a plug in hybrid.
Toyota Prius - she wanted to leave before she even drove it (based on looks) and after she drove it she punched me because on how bad the car is and that it does not have soul and is super slow, bust of all how ugly it is
Mazda CX 5 - she likes it a lot but cannot get over the fact that is an SUV and after the test drive she acknowledged that she is not an SUV/CUV type of girl and could not see herself driving one
Chevy Volt - she loves this one and she has been sending me pictures of the Volt in blue (her favouite colour) every time I ask her what she wants from Santa

I am trying to convince her to test a Mazda 6 (it is my favourite)I am not sure that she'll go for it (if a Mazda 6wagon would be available in Canada she would buy one in a heart bit).

She only likes hatchbacks and wagons and she really enjoys the power that the EV's have. We are only a small family with a tiny 9 year old girl and a Chihuahua so we don't need big cars or SUV's when we travel as we always use a roof box.
In the end I think she will just choose the Volt but I am hopeful that Mazda 6 will be a runner up.

Have you checked with your local Mazda dealer about this.  We got a higher than average trade in price for our Mazda5.  But  that was probably due to it being a GT trim, and the last model year before the little refresh that some did not like.  In addition, since the 6 is slower selling.  We could chose 0.5% finance or lease, so we went with a lease.  How soon will you by being the vehicle? 

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 05:23:24 pm »
Why no love for the Mazda 6?
The Wife”s car is the car for family trips and her parents leave in PA Saskatchewan which is a 15 hour drive from us so the car cannot be just EV and I found the size of Volt just really good. I will test drive the new leaf when it’s out but that won’t tick the family long trip car box.
NoSan that’s the blue she likes

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 05:27:03 pm »

Have you checked with your local Mazda dealer about this.  We got a higher than average trade in price for our Mazda5.  But  that was probably due to it being a GT trim, and the last model year before the little refresh that some did not like.  In addition, since the 6 is slower selling.  We could chose 0.5% finance or lease, so we went with a lease.  How soon will you by being the vehicle?
She doesn’t like the 6 because is a sedan and she really wants an EV (her words I wanna flip the bird every time I pass a gas station) and I don’t so the compromise is the Volt and she really digs it.
She’s thinking to get a new car sometime in the spring.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 05:31:58 pm »
What about a Golf EV?

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 05:36:05 pm »
What about a Golf EV?

The wife doesn't like VW.  I totally respect that. 

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2017, 05:43:57 pm »
What about a Golf EV?

Golf EV wait times are also INSANE. We're talking 16 months at this point. I wanted one  >:(

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2017, 06:35:49 pm »
How often do you travel to your in-laws? 

If it's only once or twice a year you can get an EV and rent when needed.

But yeah, the Volt ticks a lot of boxes. The Prius Prime might also be worth considering....
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 06:37:25 pm by tortoise »

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2017, 06:39:21 pm »
What about a Golf EV?

Golf EV wait times are also INSANE. We're talking 16 months at this point. I wanted one  >:(

Ahhh, I didn't know about that. That's nuts. Too bad  :(

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2017, 07:19:00 pm »

But yeah, the Volt ticks a lot of boxes. The Prius Prime might also be worth considering....

Not really into the hybrid or electric market myself.  Especially due to the costs, and not meeting my needs, plus my wife only works 13 km away. 

But after reading this comparison between the Prime, and Volt.  I didn't know the Prime was so bad...

https://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2017-chevrolet-volt-premier-vs-2017-toyota-prius-prime-advanced-comparison-test-final-scoring-performance-data-and-complete-specs-page-4

I know it was ugly as hell.  But I didn't know it was much slower than the Volt, and 1/2 the range. 

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2017, 07:26:58 pm »

As per Toyota Prius Prime is Exclusively available in Quebec. On top of that it is so UGLY.