Author Topic: The Weightlifting/Powerlifting/Fitness Thread  (Read 221458 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: The Weightlifting/Powerlifting/Fitness Thread
« Reply #500 on: April 19, 2018, 02:53:51 pm »
Rrocket, I think you've mentioned before that you find working out boring.  This is probably not what you want to hear but you'll need to lift weights if you want to look "better".  As in better balanced distribution of mass.  As Chaos mentioned, men tend to accumulate fat in our guts so that is the last place to lose fat.  However, if you were to add weight lifting (as in enough to gain muscle mass) to your schedule, you wouldn't lose the mass in the other parts of your body.  It would be more of a body recomposition.  Lifting weights can also help with your metabolism to help you burn even more fat.  More muscle mass means higher resting metabolism.  You don't have to be a gym rat to see any results.  Three times a week for 30min to an hour of heavy lifting would really help.  Of course you'll need to start with lighter weights to prevent injury.  Increase weights as you feel comfortable.  Doesn't need to be Rrocket science if the goal is better overall health.  Aesthetics are just a side benefit  ;)
Oh I've done that...personal trainer, the whole deal after I found out my thyroid/Fibromyalgia/IBS issue (not for looks..don't care). Didn't help a lick..And actually felt worse.

And back when I was fighting/racing I was a gym rat...again...not for looks but for being able to better perform. I think that's where lots of my distaste (boring) for working out came from. It wasn't because I wanted to look or feel better or for recreation...it's because I didn't want to get hurt. So it really felt "forced". And on the fighting front, towards the end of my "career" I actually gained weight (some muscle mass) and had to move up in weight class. That worked out terribly for me. LOL.

IQ still talks about the 8 pack I used to have.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 02:55:49 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #501 on: April 19, 2018, 03:06:36 pm »
Rrocket, I think you've mentioned before that you find working out boring.  This is probably not what you want to hear but you'll need to lift weights if you want to look "better".  As in better balanced distribution of mass.  As Chaos mentioned, men tend to accumulate fat in our guts so that is the last place to lose fat.  However, if you were to add weight lifting (as in enough to gain muscle mass) to your schedule, you wouldn't lose the mass in the other parts of your body.  It would be more of a body recomposition.  Lifting weights can also help with your metabolism to help you burn even more fat.  More muscle mass means higher resting metabolism.  You don't have to be a gym rat to see any results.  Three times a week for 30min to an hour of heavy lifting would really help.  Of course you'll need to start with lighter weights to prevent injury.  Increase weights as you feel comfortable.  Doesn't need to be Rrocket science if the goal is better overall health.  Aesthetics are just a side benefit  ;)
Oh I've done that...personal trainer, the whole deal after I found out my thyroid/Fibromyalgia/IBS issue (not for looks..don't care). Didn't help a lick..And actually felt worse.

And back when I was fighting/racing I was a gym rat...again...not for looks but for being able to better perform. I think that's where lots of my distaste (boring) for working out came from. It wasn't because I wanted to look or feel better or for recreation...it's because I didn't want to get hurt. So it really felt "forced". And on the fighting front, towards the end of my "career" I actually gained weight (some muscle mass) and had to move up in weight class. That worked out terribly for me. LOL.

IQ still talks about the 8 pack I used to have.

Stop looking in the past and look to the future. We're all getting old and atrophy / entropy means we're getting weaker and weaker. You have to hit the weights just to keep up or you'll be old and frail. That is just the reality.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #502 on: April 19, 2018, 03:09:34 pm »
Yeah, it's tough when you're in combat sports.  Have to balance performance and meeting a weight limit.  Very difficult to do.

My 2 younger brothers started on the Keto diet a couple months ago.  One is doing it for overall health and fitness (he also added rec boxing to his workouts) and the other wants to compete in Judo so is maximizing strength while maintaining a weight class.  They've both had great results so far. 

They wanted to do a pact where we all get our six packs back from high school by the time we have our annual cottage trip with our cousins this summer, lol.  I refuse to do the diet but I'm upping the workout intensities to compensate.  It's not like I eat a lot of junk anyway.  We'll see how it goes, just turned 40 this year.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #503 on: April 19, 2018, 04:36:00 pm »
It's really important to do resistance training of some sort as people age.  Some of the strongest/fittest people I know never touch a barbell, using only gymnastic and body weight types of exercises, but it's still resistance training.

As for appearance, there is an old adage that really rings true: biceps are built in the gym, abs are built in the kitchen.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #504 on: April 19, 2018, 05:25:07 pm »
Three times a week for 30min to an hour of heavy lifting would really help. 

I agree with most of what you said but not the part about heavy lifting.  No reason avg people would need heavy lifting. Just some light and then med weight would be more than fine.

It's really important to do resistance training of some sort as people age.  Some of the strongest/fittest people I know never touch a barbell, using only gymnastic and body weight types of exercises, but it's still resistance training.

Agree with this.

Different workouts for different people for different results.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: April 19, 2018, 05:41:21 pm »

Stop looking in the past and look to the future. We're all getting old and atrophy / entropy means we're getting weaker and weaker. You have to hit the weights just to keep up or you'll be old and frail. That is just the reality.

It's not my reality.  As I said...I've tried the weights with a personal trainer and felt worse.  But, I'm not the typical person.  I think most people really have a lack of understanding of what IBS/Fibromyalgia/CFS is.

I remember what it was like before all of this, so I can try and make people understand.  For some reason if you have either Fibro/IBS/CFS, you're like to have one of the other too.  Except me...I hit the lotto: I have all 3!  So I'll try an explain it to give some understanding.

Fibromyalgia:  Imagine the hardest weightlifting or physical activity you've ever done...in your life.  Now remember how wrecked your muscles/body felt the next morning.  That's how you feel with Fibro.  Every. Day.  It's often so painful that even just touching the body in areas causes pain.  Wearing a heavy garment can cause pain.  They actually use a series of touches on points on the body to help make the diagnosis.

IBS
:  Imagine having mild-moderate food poisoning.  The cramps, malaise, nausea and the gastro "issues" that cause you to ride the porcelain.  This is problematic, because to help maintain health, you need to eat properly.  Especially so if you're working out, as you need to feed the body properly for that type of activity.  This is obviously quite difficult to do when everything passes through you.  There are generally 2 types of IBS:  IBS-C (constipation) and IBS-D (diarrhea)  I have IBS-D.  Fortunately (for me), this isn't every single day.  But it's still non-specific to any type of food.  I keep a food diary.  Some things that have never given me issue....suddenly just decide to give me issue.  It's a roll of the dice, really.

CFS:  Imagine the longest day you've ever had.  Maybe it was a marathon day at work, maybe you climbed Mount Everest, maybe you partied for 24 hours straight.  Think of how exhausted you were.  Fortunately, you were able to sleep for the next 18 hours straight and get back to normal.  With CFS, you feel that type of exhaustion....except when you wake up regardless of how long you slept, you feel as though you've slept for 1-2 hours.  This extreme exhaustion can go on for week..or months.  Going to bed absolutely exhausted...and waking up the same. 

Now add ALL THREE together.  And you have my daily life.  That is my reality.  Plus I have thyroid..but if I'm honest I don't feel any effect from what I can tell..apart from difficulty in losing weight.  It was actually discovered by accident and not by symptom, so I'd say if doesn't bother me in the least.  But I sorta LOL when people say "Hit the gym/weights and everything will be good!"  I tried for several months...under professional guidance...and felt significantly worse.  I dunno....go to the gym the next time your body is wrecked from extreme physical activity, you haven't slept for 24 hours and you have food poisoning and see if it makes you feel better.  :rofl2: LOL  I know they are trying to be helpful, but without experiencing it, it hard to fathom how bad it can be.  And to be fair, some doctors seem to not understand.  I went to one doctor and he said my life must be difficult with all of the symptoms.  I agreed.  His solution?  He wanted me to take anti-depression and anti-anxiety meds.  I asked if I was showing symptoms of either.  He said "no", but those drugs might help get me through my day.  I politely declined.

There are some days where it takes every ounce of physical and mental determination just to get out of bed and go to work.  And I'm fine with that.  I'm not upset or angry.  I'm happy.  I take it as an "it is what it is" type of thing and just keep going.  In particular, IQ's job gives me immense perspective and makes me realize how lucky I am despite these issues.  Oddly, I'm about as happy as I've ever been in my life if I'm honest.  I think a large part of that is daily meditation.  I'm a true believer now, whereas before I'd have written it off as some hippie bullsh*t.  Like John mentions, I do light resistance....very light....plain old stretches, some yoga-type poses/stretches and some Swiss ball exercises.  For me, this has been far, far more helpful than gym training with weights in how I feel.  I also have 1-2 "wellness" days a week at my place.  On those days, I'll go for massage, soak in a salt bath or take a sauna.  Then hydrate and just chill.  It does me very good both physically and mentally I feel.  And as I said...I'm quite happy and content with my life.

Sorry so long winded...just trying to give a bit of clarity to my situation.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #506 on: April 19, 2018, 05:52:54 pm »
This might provide a little motivation to hit the weights...  (check out those guns!)

http://ia.thecanadianpress.com/2018/04/16/montrealer-aims-to-be-1st-solo-woman-to-reach-the-top-of-mount-logan/

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 19, 2018, 06:12:10 pm »
^^My ex-wife had big guns for her size.

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: April 19, 2018, 07:18:38 pm »
Three times a week for 30min to an hour of heavy lifting would really help. 

I agree with most of what you said but not the part about heavy lifting.  No reason avg people would need heavy lifting. Just some light and then med weight would be more than fine.

Agree with this.

Different workouts for different people for different results.

Sorry, worded that wrong. I just meant heavy enough to for the body to adapt to the results wanted. Different goals, different weights and rep schemes. He mentioned losing fat in some areas.  If he wanted to maintain mass in those same areas but not fat, it would have to be muscle. Lifting heavy is the best way to increase muscle mass.

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: April 19, 2018, 07:50:41 pm »
Lifting heavy is the best way to add strength. Doing lots of reps with less weight (more volume less intensity) gives you more mass (hypertrophy) (the old beach muscles)

Doesn't always work that way. Depends more on your food intake. No amount of high reps is going through increase your muscle mass if you don't eat enough. For me, lifting heavy did way more for gaining muscle mass than high reps.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: April 19, 2018, 10:22:01 pm »

165lbs, 5ft8in

Bench 150x5
Overhead Press 105x5 (really hard to get through the 3rd set though)
Squat 170x5 (started too conservative)
Deadlift 165x5 (lots of headroom here, started way too conservative)

In 1 month I will check back in.

It's been about a month.

168lbs today

OHP 105x5 stalled hard
Bench 165x5 stalled
Squat 220x5
Deadlift 240x5

I think my DL and Squat have "caught up" and now I need to eat/rest a bit more and probably fix my form to keep up the pace of progress.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 20, 2018, 11:00:34 am »
Lifting heavy is the best way to add strength. Doing lots of reps with less weight (more volume less intensity) gives you more mass (hypertrophy) (the old beach muscles)

Doesn't always work that way. Depends more on your food intake. No amount of high reps is going through increase your muscle mass if you don't eat enough. For me, lifting heavy did way more for gaining muscle mass than high reps.

Well obvious with food. If you don't eat properly you're not going to gain any meaningful strength or size. That's 101 stuff.

You'll still gain muscle mass lifting heavy - I'm just saying hypertrophy is best achieved with high volume and lower (in relative terms) intensity.....that's why bodybuilders do a :censor: ton of volume. This stuff isn't for debate - it's scientific fact.

I mean if you were "lifting heavy" (whatever that means for you) but still doing a lot of volume (sets and reps) then you were probably achieving both. I generally do 5/3/1 "boring but big" and it's a mix of traditional high intensity low rep work followed by significantly less weight and lots of volume. The program is amazing.

Skinny hardgaining newbie wants to get big (muscular). Same diet of stuff your face and gallon of milk a day. What would you recommend, starting strength or hypertrophy specific exercises? I would recommend starting strength first to get baseline strength and initial mass, then add hypertrophy exercises later on. That's all I meant by lift heavy. Starting strength isn't heavy right away. But as the weights increase, so does your muscular mass.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: April 20, 2018, 11:09:53 am »
edit:

On topic, but here is my post for a few years ago. Sticking to a program and eating will result is massive gains:

https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=89458.msg1122831#msg1122831

^^

MMRET I ate a grotesque amount.

Were you doing any cardio / bike during that whole thing?

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: April 20, 2018, 11:24:20 am »
edit:

On topic, but here is my post for a few years ago. Sticking to a program and eating will result is massive gains:

https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=89458.msg1122831#msg1122831

^^

MMRET I ate a grotesque amount.

Were you doing any cardio / bike during that whole thing?

I wouldn't do any cardio during the bulking stage.  You can add it back later once you're in the weight range you'd like.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #514 on: April 20, 2018, 01:12:43 pm »
Mmret, as a fellow beanpole/ectomorph and being a few years older than you at 38, if I could offer one suggestion in addition to the great advice that’s already been dispensed here: whatever workout regimen you choose, make sure you also devote some focus to your flexibility and mobility, especially in the hips. From my own experience, being historically really unflexible (inflexible?), even the modest, recent improvements I've made in this area have been hugely beneficial - more so than added muscle, I believe, and as we get older it's that much more important, along with core strength. Big beach muscles are cool, but useless if their range of use is limited :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 01:35:16 pm by lebowski »

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 20, 2018, 03:49:14 pm »
Hmm it never struck me that ~170lbs at 5'8" was skinny but OK!

I guess BMI index is a crock of shite then.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #516 on: April 20, 2018, 07:31:11 pm »
On some BMI scales I hover around fat to obese. Ya right.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #517 on: April 20, 2018, 07:33:32 pm »
yeah BMI is total BS, muscle weighs a lot...so you can be ripped, but BMI says you are "obese"

BS
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 03:24:04 pm by ChaosphereIX »
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #518 on: April 20, 2018, 07:47:57 pm »
Hmm it never struck me that ~170lbs at 5'8" was skinny but OK!

I guess BMI index is a crock of shite then.

BMI is total bs. No context at all.

I believe BMI is useful in population studies / trends, but individually there are too many variables.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: April 20, 2018, 09:09:22 pm »

, but BMW says you are "obese"

BS

I'm for sure never buying a BMW then!