Author Topic: New car - wax, sealant, polish, ceramic ???  (Read 9436 times)

Offline PoweredSilenceGT

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-75
    • View Profile
Re: New car - wax, sealant, polish, ceramic ???
« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2022, 01:23:59 pm »
I haven't waxed either of my cars in years. Two kids evaporated my free time and I'd much rather be doing something else when I have it.

I used to do it all the time.

Not laziness, just shifted priorities.

In the winter they get weekly washes at the coin operated place as the weather allows.  Can't do the automated ones because there's always a roof box on them(and I think I can do a better job on the undercarriage).

Also, white and grey cars don't exactly give you that sense of gratification you get from darker colours.

Same - I haven't waxed a vehicle for a few years.  I think I did the Tundra maybe twice?  I doubt I"ll do the CX-5.  A ceramic coating would actually help in my case.  I'm not sure I want to spend $1k on it, though.

Imagine that - it's almost like different people will choose to spend their time and money in different ways, or something.

If the CX-5 were Soul Red Metallic, I would most certainly consider a ceramic coating, as that colour looks AWESOME when shined up.  But in white?  Doesn't matter as much.

Why every manufacturer just doesn't blatantly copy Soul Red is beyond me - literal fire.  And yeah, white will never shine like some other shades, but it is one of the most forgiving colours out there for not showing dirt.  Somewhat counterintuitive, but true.  My white Genesis looks reasonably clean pretty much all the time and gets washed less than half as often as my dark grey, which shows a light coating of dust almost instantly.

No kidding. My friend has a Soul Red Mazda, probably one of the best colors in all of the auto industry. Somehow both understated yet eye-catching at the same time.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12356
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2022, 01:30:06 pm »
I haven't waxed either of my cars in years. Two kids evaporated my free time and I'd much rather be doing something else when I have it.

I used to do it all the time.

Not laziness, just shifted priorities.

In the winter they get weekly washes at the coin operated place as the weather allows.  Can't do the automated ones because there's always a roof box on them(and I think I can do a better job on the undercarriage).

Also, white and grey cars don't exactly give you that sense of gratification you get from darker colours.

Same - I haven't waxed a vehicle for a few years.  I think I did the Tundra maybe twice?  I doubt I"ll do the CX-5.  A ceramic coating would actually help in my case.  I'm not sure I want to spend $1k on it, though.

Imagine that - it's almost like different people will choose to spend their time and money in different ways, or something.

If the CX-5 were Soul Red Metallic, I would most certainly consider a ceramic coating, as that colour looks AWESOME when shined up.  But in white?  Doesn't matter as much.

Why every manufacturer just doesn't blatantly copy Soul Red is beyond me - literal fire.  And yeah, white will never shine like some other shades, but it is one of the most forgiving colours out there for not showing dirt.  Somewhat counterintuitive, but true.  My white Genesis looks reasonably clean pretty much all the time and gets washed less than half as often as my dark grey, which shows a light coating of dust almost instantly.

No kidding. My friend has a Soul Red Mazda, probably one of the best colors in all of the auto industry. Somehow both understated yet eye-catching at the same time.

Exactly so!
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2022, 03:09:23 pm »
5 pages and I only got an automated topic reply notification for the very first reply  ;D

Sorry for playing "bad op" and not taking part in this heated discussion. I'Ve just read every post, and prior to that I phoned a local detailer. I had no freakin' idea a ceramic job would be this expensive: $1,300-1,400 for a Crosstrek, with an annual $150 "maintenance" during the 7 yr warranty period  :fall:

I used to spend 4 hrs weekly on my Celica back in the days, but now I'm down to a yearly late summer wax, and even then I mostly have it done professionally. A local car washer / detailer does it in the customer's driveway, $150 for an inside-out wash and wax.

Both the van and the little-km Audi have chipped hoods, so the hood film is tempting - I've seen older ones yellow and I hate these things when I can see them. Most press cars have films and you don't see them. Who's better at this? 3M, Xpel, others?

And I've never, ever corrected paint. On a new car I would not dare use anything too abrasive. On the TR6 I used Nu Finish to clean up the paint a bit.

By reading you guys, I realize polishing is not the same as waxing (bear with me, learning here). I usually wash, dry, then wax. Polishing would be a step between the two? Or something you do between waxings?

Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2022, 03:14:12 pm »
And then there's sealers, synthetic wax according to a how-to video I've watched. These seem easier to apply and replace the std wax?

My Dad gave me his Simoniz polisher - a typical, cheap CTC unit. I worked with it one summer on all three cars and while it removed most of the dry wax the final polishing had to be done by hand; the machine just did not buff up enough to remove the film completely. User error, or cheap tool? It still reduces the effort, especially on something as big as the Odyssey.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 01, 2022, 03:37:55 pm »
5 pages and I only got an automated topic reply notification for the very first reply  ;D

Sorry for playing "bad op" and not taking part in this heated discussion. I'Ve just read every post, and prior to that I phoned a local detailer. I had no freakin' idea a ceramic job would be this expensive: $1,300-1,400 for a Crosstrek, with an annual $150 "maintenance" during the 7 yr warranty period  :fall:

I used to spend 4 hrs weekly on my Celica back in the days, but now I'm down to a yearly late summer wax, and even then I mostly have it done professionally. A local car washer / detailer does it in the customer's driveway, $150 for an inside-out wash and wax.

Both the van and the little-km Audi have chipped hoods, so the hood film is tempting - I've seen older ones yellow and I hate these things when I can see them. Most press cars have films and you don't see them. Who's better at this? 3M, Xpel, others?

And I've never, ever corrected paint. On a new car I would not dare use anything too abrasive. On the TR6 I used Nu Finish to clean up the paint a bit.

By reading you guys, I realize polishing is not the same as waxing (bear with me, learning here). I usually wash, dry, then wax. Polishing would be a step between the two? Or something you do between waxings?
Polishing takes out the swirls, imperfections, scratches, etc

Waxing keeps it looking nice and shiny and protects from the elements.

If you want to go down this rabbit hole (polisher), send me a PM

And I'd say that Simoniz polisher you have is a turd (probably...need to see it)
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 01, 2022, 03:55:25 pm »

Polishing takes out the swirls, imperfections, scratches, etc

Waxing keeps it looking nice and shiny and protects from the elements.

If you want to go down this rabbit hole (polisher), send me a PM

And I'd say that Simoniz polisher you have is a turd (probably...need to see it)

So polish is what we usually call "compound", ie a slightly abrasive product, and not a "furniture gleamer" like the name implies?

Like this: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/meguiar-s-ultimate-polish-473-ml-0392730p.html?loc=plp ?

Wax I'm very familiar with and have been using for decades. Polishing is the step I never dared to take, pre-wax, but should, especially with our black cars. Hmmm... Could practice on the Accent.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 01, 2022, 04:04:02 pm »
Pic of the polisher attached here - not a high-end item, I'm afraid!

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #87 on: September 01, 2022, 04:22:48 pm »
I say just get the film and stick to your usual once or twice per year full detail.  I find I am much better at interior detailing than exterior, so maybe to save money do the interior yourself and have the pros do the exterior.  They should be washing, the clay bar, then a good wax.  Ideally you would do this after winter and then again in the fall.

Last thing I would say is only put the film on painted metal.  The plastic stuff you can touch up yourself and not be so particular because no worries about rust.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 01, 2022, 04:45:03 pm »
Sorry, man! It's a turd!

You need a true dual action polisher. And pads and compounds are so good these days, it's virtually impossible to damage your paint....unless you leave the polisher in one place for about 2 minutes, literally. And that's not going to happen, because you're not an idiot.

Like I said..drop me a PM and I'll help get you hooked up.

Watch this video...3:05 mark. If you can physically do what he's doing....you CAN correct and polish paint. It's that easy.

https://youtu.be/hwz3vlWW8hM

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #89 on: September 01, 2022, 08:07:35 pm »
Sorry, man! It's a turd!

You need a true dual action polisher. And pads and compounds are so good these days, it's virtually impossible to damage your paint....unless you leave the polisher in one place for about 2 minutes, literally. And that's not going to happen, because you're not an idiot.

Like I said..drop me a PM and I'll help get you hooked up.

Watch this video...3:05 mark. If you can physically do what he's doing....you CAN correct and polish paint. It's that easy.

https://youtu.be/hwz3vlWW8hM
Yes you can. That blue thing is not a polisher. With myold trusty porter cable I was able to take this out: (and I have no idea what I am doing lol)