Author Topic: New car - wax, sealant, polish, ceramic ???  (Read 9435 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12356
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: New car - wax, sealant, polish, ceramic ???
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2022, 01:08:35 pm »
For me it's about convenience and the end result. In my younger days I used to enjoy prepping and waxing my vehicles, now it's just a chore I don't look forward to.

I like the results of the ceramic coatings and don't find the price that bad. $1,200 for something that lasts 5 years, versus $450 a year for full detailing and waxing. In that I replace my vehicles every 3 to 4 years it a no brainer.

I also don't look at it as something for more expensive vehicles , I have had  my wifes current HRV and previous vehicles done as well.

As others have said, each to their own, it's what's right for you, not others.  ;)

Well you're obviously not a car enthusiast and don't own a vehicle worth polishing.  ;D JK - agreed with all of the above.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2022, 01:47:49 pm »

Edit: I'll also say that I don't think anyone on this forum is as well researched on this stuff as Ron - so I'd put a lot of weight in his opinion.

Thanks for the kind words.

If someone wants to spend their money on ceramic, that's their prerogative. Nothing wrong with it. It just wasn't for me after being able to compare results side by side.

Polishing pads and compounds have come a long way too. I only do single steps these days with spectacular results. Our buddy Shane is using these same methods on customer cars now, so that says something too IMO as Shame is quite particular.

And as pointed out by many here, the newest toppers/waxes/sealants are also spectacular and are easily lasting into months with minimal to non existent elbow grease. Many of those can contain ceramic or graphene.

So for me, it doesn't nearly take as much time to keep a car looking spectacular as in years past, which is why I don't think ceramic is a good fit for my cars. Given how good polishes are these days, I also think they charge way too much for ceramic prep (unless the car's paint is similar to the cars Firm works on). So it doesn't represent a good value or superior finish for me either.

But this definitely falls under "to reach their own".
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 01:50:44 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2022, 01:52:59 pm »

Edit: I'll also say that I don't think anyone on this forum is as well researched on this stuff as Ron - so I'd put a lot of weight in his opinion.

If someone wants to spend their money on ceramic, that's their prerogative. Nothing wrong with it. It just wasn't for me after being able to compare results side by side.

Polishing pads and compounds have come a long way too. I only do single steps these days with spectacular results. Our buddy Shane is using these same methods on customer cars now, so that says something too IMO as Shame is quite particular.

And as pointed out by many here, the newest toppers/waxes/sealants are also spectacular and are easily lasting into months with minimal to non existent elbow grease. Many of those can contain ceramic or graphene.

So for me, it doesn't nearly take as much time to keep a car looking spectacular as in years past, which is why I don't think ceramic is a good fit for my cars. Given how good polishes are these days, I also think they charge way too much for ceramic prep (unless the car's paint is similar to the cars Firm works on). So it doesn't represent a good value or superior finish for me.

Great post.  It takes so little time to apply a liquid polish today it is almost laughable. 

Unless you are lazy.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2022, 01:54:52 pm »

So for me, it doesn't nearly take as much time to keep a car looking spectacular as in years past, which is why I don't think ceramic is a good fit for my cars. Given how good polishes are these days, I also think they charge way too much for ceramic prep (unless the car's paint is similar to the cars Firm works on). So it doesn't represent a good value or superior finish for me.

Great post.  It takes so little time to apply a liquid polish today it is almost laughable. 

Unless you are lazy.
Well, I'm not sure "lazy" is fair or accurate.

Some people just don't like polishing cars. Some are scared fearing a mistake. There is an initial expense (polisher) and a slight learning curve. Some may not have a garage (some polishes don't work well in direct sunlight).

All of which have nothing to do with "laziness".
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 02:01:24 pm by rrocket »

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2022, 01:58:37 pm »

Unless you are lazy.

I think you've gotta respect both approaches...

:rofl: :rofl2: :rofl: :rofl2:

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2022, 02:12:54 pm »
Great post Ron, thanks.

I agree that even a simple wax might be tough for some people depending on your situation....If you don't have a place to work, garage or driveway with some shade, that alone makes it tricky to do anything. Can't see Toronto street parkers, or people in condos/rowhouses with outdoor parking lots, doing much DIY paint care at all.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2022, 02:16:08 pm »
Great post Ron, thanks.

I agree that even a simple wax might be tough for some people depending on your situation....If you don't have a place to work, garage or driveway with some shade, that alone makes it tricky to do anything. Can't see Toronto street parkers, or people in condos/rowhouses with outdoor parking lots, doing much DIY paint care at all.
Well I think a wax is doable by most anyone.

Wipe on, wipe off...or spray on, spray off.

But a polish or correction? I agree...you need a place to do it plus the investment in the gear.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 02:19:01 pm by rrocket »

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2022, 02:19:59 pm »

Unless you are lazy.

Some people just don't like polishing cars. Some are scared fearing a mistake. There is an initial expense (polisher) and a slight learning curve. Some may not have a garage (some polishes don't work well in direct sunlight).

There is zero learning curve with liquid ceramic coatings.  Two rags - one wet, one dry.

So yeah, laziness.  Take pride of ownership.

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2022, 02:21:19 pm »
Great post Ron, thanks.

And most of those folks likely wouldn't spend the high cost of ceramic coating either.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2022, 02:30:03 pm »

Unless you are lazy.

There is zero learning curve with liquid ceramic coatings.  Two rags - one wet, one dry.

I disagree. It take a bit of touch to get a feel for leveling the ceramic properly. And maybe a bit of an eye to see when it's flashing.

Also, the paint needs to be corrected prior to a ceramic coating. Learning curve+ equipment investment+ appropriate place for working.

Sorry..laziness isn't at play here IMO.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 02:34:21 pm by rrocket »

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2022, 02:46:37 pm »

Unless you are lazy.

I disagree. It take a bit of touch to get a feel for leveling the ceramic properly. And maybe a bit of an eye to see when it's flashing.

Also, the paint needs to be corrected prior to a ceramic coating. Learning curve+ equipment investment+ appropriate place for working.

That feeling when even Ron 'ain't buying what you're selling.  :rofl2:

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2022, 02:54:17 pm »
You can apply ceramic coating wax in 10 minutes after you wash your car.

Typical car I can polish from start to finish in about 45 minutes

Quite the spread for the time involved.  :think:

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2022, 02:56:58 pm »
You can apply ceramic coating wax in 10 minutes after you wash your car.

Typical car I can polish from start to finish in about 45 minutes

Quite the spread for the time involved.  :think:

Two different products.

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2022, 02:58:44 pm »

Unless you are lazy.

That feeling when even Ron 'ain't buying what you're selling.  :rofl2:

Hey don't you have someone to pay to mow your lawn?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2022, 03:06:07 pm »
I'm curious what ceramic product you did you car with in 10 minutes?

It certainly wasn't a true ceramic coating (of the type you typically pay someone to put on) as waiting for the flash throughout the process all by itself takes longer than 10 minutes.

Or did you mean a much simpler spray on or liquid wax that contains ceramic?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 03:12:33 pm by rrocket »

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2022, 03:40:14 pm »
I haven't waxed either of my cars in years. Two kids evaporated my free time and I'd much rather be doing something else when I have it.

I used to do it all the time.

Not laziness, just shifted priorities.

In the winter they get weekly washes at the coin operated place as the weather allows.  Can't do the automated ones because there's always a roof box on them(and I think I can do a better job on the undercarriage).

Also, white and grey cars don't exactly give you that sense of gratification you get from darker colours.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2022, 03:42:58 pm »
I haven't waxed either of my cars in years. Two kids evaporated my free time and I'd much rather be doing something else when I have it.

In the winter they get weekly washes at the coin operated place as the weather allows.  Can't do the automated ones because there's always a roof box on them(and I think I can do a better job on the undercarriage).

Also, white and grey cars don't exactly give you that sense of gratification you get from darker colours.

Same - I haven't waxed a vehicle for a few years.  I think I did the Tundra maybe twice?  I doubt I"ll do the CX-5.  A ceramic coating would actually help in my case.  I'm not sure I want to spend $1k on it, though. 

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2022, 03:43:12 pm »

This.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2022, 03:53:12 pm »

This.
Gotcha. I misunderstood what product you were referring to.

I agree with you then. No learning curve for these types of products.

However, I still disagree with you about the "laziness" part.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2022, 04:03:40 pm »

Same - I haven't waxed a vehicle for a few years.  I think I did the Tundra maybe twice?  I doubt I"ll do the CX-5.  A ceramic coating would actually help in my case.  I'm not sure I want to spend $1k on it, though.

Imagine that - it's almost like different people will choose to spend their time and money in different ways, or something.