Author Topic: Used Vehicle Review: Ford Fusion, 2006-2009  (Read 15289 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
Re: Used Vehicle Review: Ford Fusion, 2006-2009
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2011, 10:36:46 pm »
For many people buying a family car, finding one that's reliable and inexpensive to operate are all that matter.

Vast majority.  However, almost any vehicle is reliable for the first 3 years.  The rubber hits the road at year 7/175K km.

Time is the great equalizer. If a car runs for that long without any major problems, it'll probably keep going for a while beyond that. And by that point, many mechanical failures can be chalked up to wear and tear, or poor maintenance. A model's reliability/durability is measured most easily by what tends to break in the first three to five years.

I disagree.  Most items on most cars easily last 3-5 years...even some wear items.  It's after that 5 year period that counts, especially because most cars are out of warranty at that point.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline america94

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2011, 10:41:36 pm »
Yes, I have good photographic memory and noticed right away that I had read this article before.  It feels cheap to slip it to the readers like a new piece (well, that's my perception anyway dear flamers) <- I address the flamers right away because I have to face the fact that no matter what I post, negative or positive, there is pretty much always someone I'll upset that will have to let me know....and this never ends, because I realize now that I might be flamed for writing too much off topic right now....I AM DAMNED FOR FORUM ETERNITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :'(

I focus on used cars that have mass-market appeal, and the problem is that there aren't enough to make for a brand-new review every week. The benefit is that it gives me an opportunity to update older reviews with any new reliability information that I can find; sometimes, new information changes the entire scope of the article. Updated pricing information is a big reason, too (this especially goes out of date pretty quickly). I try to do updates like this on articles published more than 18 months before.

Anyways, good on you and NoLongerCivic for noticing that slip-up. At least I know people are reading. ;-)

Ah you got me there... i didn't pay attention to the fact that some data/info is updated... still a good read by the way! ;-)  And it's good to bring (back) up reliable cars for the masses...

Cheers

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2011, 10:46:45 pm »
The Fusion is more reliable than the other cars you mentioned in CR surveys

CR tanked all the Camrys regardless of trim over OBAMA Motors blitzkrieg.

I've driven used 2007 4 cylinder Fusions and they suck.  The power/mileage is poor for the displacement and the space is cramped.

You put 2007-2009 Fusions, Camrys and Accords on a lot, same trim and Fusion will be last to go.  Always needs to be discounted.  Is the 2010 Fusion and up a big improvement?  I'm sure it is.  

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2011, 10:49:10 pm »
For many people buying a family car, finding one that's reliable and inexpensive to operate are all that matter.

Vast majority.  However, almost any vehicle is reliable for the first 3 years.  The rubber hits the road at year 7/175K km.

:rofl:

When the Fusion had been out for 3 years with great reliability it was "Oh sure, but you can't tell anything until it's been five years." Now that it's been out 6 years with great reliability, we have to wait until 7 years before we can be sure. Hilarious.

You put 2007-2009 Fusions, Camrys and Accords on a lot, same trim and Fusion will be last to go.

Not on my lot. Oh, you probably meant on a Toyota or Honda lot. Keep 'em coming.  :rofl:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 10:51:08 pm by Cord »
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2011, 11:00:25 pm »
I disagree.  Most items on most cars easily last 3-5 years...even some wear items.  It's after that 5 year period that counts, especially because most cars are out of warranty at that point.  

And that has not changed.  I'm waiting for Ford's capless fuel filler to hit the 6/7 year mark.  Used buyers will need that like a hole in the tank.

Owners will get twice the mileage out of a set of Camry brakes than 2206/2009 Fusion if your looking for a wear item example.

Fuel pump problems in either car perhaps ???.  Camry; open trunk, remove access plate, detach 2 wires and remove.
Fusion; remove fuel lines from underneath vehicle, remove gas tank and then reassemble.  The BS engineering on the domestics vehicles hasn't changed.  Everything is just one notch cheaper or short term.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2011, 11:03:31 pm »
Not on my lot. Oh, you probably meant on a Toyota or Honda lot. Keep 'em coming.

Always chuckle when the Ford store beside us puts a used Camry/Taco/Rav out on its street display ramp.  They last aout 2 days.  :D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2011, 11:04:43 pm »
I disagree.  Most items on most cars easily last 3-5 years...even some wear items.  It's after that 5 year period that counts, especially because most cars are out of warranty at that point.  

Fuel pump problems in either car perhaps ???.  Camry; open trunk, remove access plate, detach 2 wires and remove.
Fusion; remove fuel lines from underneath vehicle, remove gas tank and then reassemble.  The BS engineering on the domestics vehicles hasn't changed.  Everything is just one notch cheaper or short term.

This is true.  Japanese cars are (mostly) a breeze to work on.  Domestics, less so.  Germans?  Not so much.. :rofl:

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2011, 11:08:29 pm »
Germans?  Not so much..

Complicated, but well engineered.  Fuel pump same as Japanese ... 1/2 hour.  Not 6 hours if you're lucky.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2011, 11:09:58 pm »
Germans?  Not so much..

Complicated, but well engineered.  Fuel pump same as Japanese ... 1/2 hour.  Not 6 hours if you're lucky.

I'm not finding this to be the case with the TT, that's for sure!  Needlessly complicated with no benefits.  And the parts on this car are craptastic thus far...

I thought about slashing my wrists once I got into the turbo intake pipe job on the TT.  Why did I need a turbo intake pipe?  Because the OEM would collapse as flat as a pancake under boost!!  And replacing it was a HUGE PITA.  For something so simple.  I don't think I've seen one thing on the entire car that has been engineered elegantly.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 11:15:26 pm by rrocket »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2011, 11:16:35 pm »
German cars were BY FAR the most DIY friendly units until the 21st century.  My C230 was amazing in what you could do in the driveway with some simple hand tools.  Older 911's are even better.  I had often wished the Subarus were as easy to work on as the various MB's we owned.

Today, the Scoob seems simple and easy compared to lots of cars.  I can't believe I griped so much about it...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2011, 11:17:11 pm »
Audi and VW are German b+stards.  ;D   I was thinking primarily BMW.  The A4s with the 4 cylinder turbos/timing belt is one stupid designs.  Early Passat same thing.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2011, 11:17:54 pm »
German cars were BY FAR the most DIY friendly units until the 21st century.  My C230 was amazing in what you could do in the driveway with some simple hand tools.  Older 911's are even better.  I had often wished the Subarus were as easy to work on as the various MB's we owned.

Today, the Scoob seems simple and easy compared to lots of cars.  I can't believe I griped so much about it...

I have heard that about older German iron.  And I think the Subaru sucks for doing spark plugs.  At least on a WRX I did them on.

I was present for plugs on a 996 Porsche TT.  And while it was a bit of a PITA to remove the bumper cover, once it was off it wasn't a horrible job.  But bumper cover had to be removed along with an intercooler.  The entire thing was straight forward.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 11:20:01 pm by rrocket »

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2011, 11:32:19 pm »
Not on my lot. Oh, you probably meant on a Toyota or Honda lot. Keep 'em coming.

Always chuckle when the Ford store beside us puts a used Camry/Taco/Rav out on its street display ramp.  They last aout 2 days.  :D

They just do that to :censor: you Toyota dudes off.  :D

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2011, 11:42:18 pm »
Servicing on the older turbo 911's was easiest if you just dropped the driveline.  Seemed NUTS the first time I saw one sitting in the tech bay with the engine out, but in truth, it was a pretty simple procedure that gave you amazing access to everything.

I don't know much about them, but guys tell me the Boxster is a major PITA to work on.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2011, 11:44:39 pm »
Servicing on the older turbo 911's was easiest if you just dropped the driveline.  Seemed NUTS the first time I saw one sitting in the tech bay with the engine out, but in truth, it was a pretty simple procedure that gave you amazing access to everything.

I don't know much about them, but guys tell me the Boxster is a major PITA to work on.

The Boxster IS a PITA to work on.  Though plug changes aren't crazy bad.  Still need to remove the rear wheel and wheel liner to get access.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2011, 11:45:29 pm »

Why would Toyota dudes be pissed off when the marquee vehicle for sale at a Ford lot is a Toyota?   :rofl2:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 11:48:01 pm by rrocket »

Offline Gamefreak

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 11 Hyundai Elantra GLS 6MT 4dr
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2011, 03:16:43 am »
The Boxster IS a PITA to work on.  Though plug changes aren't crazy bad.  Still need to remove the rear wheel and wheel liner to get access.

By that virtue, the Cayman would also be a PITA to work on?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2011, 09:03:15 am »
  you know that's why the gods put our fun bits ...MID ENGINE... :o
By that virtue, the Cayman would also be a PITA to work on?
...most likely..............but............you get a better looking ass on yer face while fiddling about underneath...... ;D..perhaps those big hips and hatch give somewhat better access to the fiddly bits !!???....

you do know that's why the gods put our FUN BITS mid engine... 8) ;D
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 09:10:17 am by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Megalodon3

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2011, 09:20:22 am »
I posted that I have the Fusion with 200K on it which has been extremely reliable - and that my Camry required 3 transmissions. The Camry also needed to have the valve cover removed every year to have the engine sludge cleaned out. Also, I think someone posted that Japanese cars are easier to work on than domestics. That has not been my experience. I took the Camry to a large auto repair shop to get the plugs replaced and after they looked at the engine they wouldn't touch it. They said that it would take far too much time to get the back plugs out. The only place that would touch it was, of course, a Toyota dealership. Also, I recently went to replace a headlight bulb on my wife's Subaru, and I had to remove the battery to get to it (this is a 2 minute job on my Fusion). Anyway, I'm sure there are lots of good Toyotas out there, but I will not be buying one.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2011, 01:11:17 pm »

Why would Toyota dudes be pissed off when the marquee vehicle for sale at a Ford lot is a Toyota?   :rofl2:

Because the Ford dudes are selling it and making the money rather than the Toyota dudes. :)

It's merchandising 101 - put the off-make stuff on the front row to attract non-traditional customers and steal business from the competition across the street. Remember, we are talking used vehicles here. It doesn't matter what make it is as long as it sells.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 01:12:56 pm by Cord »