Author Topic: New tires that were manufactured in 2006  (Read 9752 times)

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: New tires that were manufactured in 2006
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2013, 07:14:32 pm »
I'm surrounded by RVs and boats.  It's a none issue.  Backed up by insurance companies because they charge spit to insure these things for road use.  If there was any significant issue we'd be paying.

Seized wheels bearings will be the culprit in most cases.  1 out of 100 owners .... wait let me restate that, 1 in 1000 owners ..... no let me restate that, 1 in 10000 owners actually pulls the bearing out for service on a regular basis.  Next would be ppl hauling the units down the road with 15 psi.

HA!!  Now that you mention it, the tires on my race trailer were like...forever old.

The only thing that ever failed on the trailer?  My bearings.  I learned quick to re-pack them once per year.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2013, 08:19:58 pm »
I can't begin to count the number of brand new trucks towing ratty old campers down Alberta highways that are sitting on the side of the road thanks to tires that have literally come apart.

Now, I don't know why they have.  Albertans tend to hammer down the highway in the big RAM at 160 with the little camper bouncing all over hell back there.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2013, 10:06:11 pm »
I nearly blew a brand new tire on my trailer this summer, new bearing too.  Not sure what happened but the tire lost tread on one side and had a huge cut.  Lucky I noticed.

Anyways, 6 year old tires?  For a daily driver they should be fine.

I wouldn't buy 2 year old race tires though, they lose their grip after about a year sitting.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2013, 10:35:38 pm »
I'd give them a shot for the right price.

Offline simonsez

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2013, 10:56:56 pm »
Wow great discussions!  It's obvious that there are differences of opinions on this matter……I'm still undecided, Nokian's own website says this under their Faq page "The tire industry believes that tires are safe for use up to 6 years after the date of manufacture".

So the same garage told me that they can also get me into brand new (built in 2013 ;)) Hankooks I*pikes RW11 for $200 more…..so about $550.  But man, I keep hearing that Nokians are the best of the best…. those Hankooks aren't talked about a whole lot when it comes to winter shoes!  Decisions, decisions….8 year old Nokians vs new Hankooks….

Anyways, thanks to all the contributors!

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2013, 11:03:36 pm »
I had I-Pikes before.  I'd take 6 year old Nokians in a heartbeat....

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
New tires that were manufactured in 2006
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2013, 07:23:15 am »
Tire manufacturers say that 6years is the expected shelf life of an unused tire.  With that in mind, I'd offer $50 for the set of 4.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline capriracer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-2
    • View Profile
    • www.barrystiretech.com
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2013, 08:54:52 am »
First, I am a tire engineer and I have a certain amount of insight into the engineering of tires as well as the way some of the industry statements are written.

First, this is an unusual situation.  We're talking about old, but unused winter tires.

Most of the industry statements on the subject of shelf life deal with regular tires with the expectation that they will be used for many years after purchase. 

Most industry statements on tire age are geared to address extremely hot climates.

So if we are talking about parts of Canada where it's really cold, I think those "guidelines" should be taken with a grain of salt. 

I also think if we talk about 2 winter seasons of use, then we have to consider that the tires would be 10 years old - which is an acceptable limit for cold climates.

I also think that if a lot of attention is paid to when the tires go on and come off, then those tires could be used successfully.
CapriRacer

Visit my website:  www.barrystiretech.com

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2013, 11:47:17 am »
I can get all 4 for $350 tax-in

Great tires.  Don't listen to the milk toasts in this thread.  ;D       GET THEM.  NOW!

Ridiculous to think the rubber in a premo tire has gone "bad" from sitting in a warehouse.   :bang:

Ever walk into a warehouse of tires? What do you think that smell is? The tires are off-gassing volatile components. The same components that keep the rubber soft. Oxygen is also at work oxidizing the rubber. Ozone is worse as is exposure to sunlight, but even in a warehouse rubber deteriorates over time.

I've seen quite a few vintage cars 70-80 years old with original tires on them. Even if they were sitting in a dark  garage all those years, you'd think the tires would've disintegrated by now. How do you explain that? Not saying you're wrong, just puzzled.

It's not just about failure, it's also about performance. Old hard tires will not have as much grip as new ones.

I have no clue why someone would spend tens of thousands on a car, then get cheap when it comes to the most critical part of the car.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
New tires that were manufactured in 2006
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2013, 06:21:44 pm »
When I was a kid I often invested in a set of tires that were worth as much my car. I learned from the two wheeled world that the little contact patches are your life, literally. I took that to the car world when I joined it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1140
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2013, 06:58:55 pm »
 :iagree: Made me remember an old Dunlop K81 motorcycle tires ad: "At Dunlop we believe your motorcycle is only as good as it's tires."

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2013, 06:59:54 pm »
When I was a kid I often invested in a set of tires that were worth as much my car. I learned from the two wheeled world that the little contact patches are your life, literally. I took that to the car world when I joined it.

I was always amazed when motorcyclists spend $100-200 on a helmet....

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2013, 10:45:26 am »
I was always amazed when motorcyclists spend $100-200 on a helmet....

An old adage...

"If you have a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet."

It's true that you don't have to have a $1300 Arai to get good protection, but the bottom of the market is filled with junk.

Climbers grouse about ropes costing $200 or -40C sleeping bags that cost $800-$1000.  Both of those things have literally kept me alive.

Offline davidy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2013, 07:00:50 pm »
Personally, I wouldn't put them on my vehicle if they were free of charge. Tires are the only components of a vehicle that touch the road. 7-8 year old new tires might be fine, but they may not be either. Tire manufacturers tend to agree that the tires are good between 6 and 10 years regardless of wear.

Dave
2010 Ford Ranger FX4
Armaguard spray on liner
Truxedo Low Pro QT tonneau cover
Studded General Altimax Arctic P245/75-16 winter tires on black steelies

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2013, 09:42:59 am »
Whereas I would only use them if they were free of charge. Certainly not at the advertised price.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2013, 09:54:48 am »
I would not use, let alone pay for tires that were not the current years production when I bought them. 
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2013, 11:52:13 am »

I think that's where I got it from too.

I used to pick up old bikes to tinker with. Most of the time the tires were old, but might have otherwise been in ok shape. When I swapped new tires on, the difference was night and day.

Offline simonsez

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2013, 10:46:57 am »
Just wanted to update.  This thread proved to definitely sway into my decision, although it wasn't unanimous on here I decided to go with the majority and forget about the old Nokians and went with brand new i*pikes from Hankook.

Now I know that these aren't the highest rated winter tires (more or less of an average one!) but they were a great price compared to even Chinese tires.  So far so good and they were already put to the test with this ice storm we just had.  Conclusion, they are a hell of a lot better than my all-seasons!  Also, these are my first ever winters and I was expecting lots of noise but they're not as bad as I thought.

Anyways thanks for all the posters!

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2013, 02:38:38 pm »
Just wanted to update.  This thread proved to definitely sway into my decision, although it wasn't unanimous on here I decided to go with the majority and forget about the old Nokians and went with brand new i*pikes from Hankook.

Now I know that these aren't the highest rated winter tires (more or less of an average one!) but they were a great price compared to even Chinese tires.  So far so good and they were already put to the test with this ice storm we just had.  Conclusion, they are a hell of a lot better than my all-seasons!  Also, these are my first ever winters and I was expecting lots of noise but they're not as bad as I thought.

Anyways thanks for all the posters!

:thumbup:

Budget winter tires are still loads better than all seasons. The i*Pikes should serve you well.