Author Topic: Michelin Latitude Tour for SUV in Alberta ?  (Read 14441 times)

Renoir

Michelin Latitude Tour for SUV in Alberta ?
« on: September 14, 2009, 06:02:15 pm »
Hello.
I'm new here and came here to ask Canadian drivers their opinion on a new tire.

I own a 2002 Lexus RX300 SUV, AWD.
I need to replace the tires (came with noisy Bridgestone Allenza tires).
I went to Costco and they told me I should put on the new Michelin Latitude Tour tires because according to them, they are the best all season tires for this vehicle.   Looking at the thread design, I wonder how good it would be in the snow, especially in Southern Alberta winter conditions.
I've always bought the Michelin LTX M/S tires for all my other vehicles and was always extremely satisfied with their performance all year round.   But, the LTX looks out of place on a Lexus RX300, it's more of a truck tire then a RX300 tire so not sure what to do.

Have any of you had experience with the new Michelin Latitude tire in winter conditions ?
If so, I would love to hear from you before I make a decision as to what to order for this vehicle.

Thank you.

R. May

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
Re: Michelin Latitude Tour for SUV in Alberta ?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 06:21:28 pm »
First, welcome to the forum!  Hope your stay is a pleasant one.

You will get lots of responses along these lines, so I might as well start.

[Begin Preaching]

In Alberta, as with most of Canada, dedicated winter tires are much more appropriate than any all season, even in something with AWD.  I was amazed at how well my Forester performed in winter after putting on proper winter tires.  Personally, I would never run A/S in the winter unless I lived in Victoria (where I grew up).

[End Preaching]

If you were happy with the LTX, why not keep using them?  If the Latitude is new, there will be very little user feedback and certainly no winter experience.

I run these on my Forester in the summer, and do not worry about what they look like

I run Blizacks in the winter as the above lose significant traction at temps below -10 or so.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 06:32:14 pm »
If you're not going to put winter tires on then another good choice is the Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmour.  It offers better winter grip than most all-season SUV tires.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 07:52:29 pm »
If you're not going to put winter tires on then another good choice is the Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmour.  It offers better winter grip than most all-season SUV tires.

Hey I was going to write about them
They also are more of an all weather tire , they do have the snow flake/ mountain stamped on them

Renoir

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 11:45:07 am »
I appreciate your replies, thanks.
Doing more research on the web, I found the new Michelin LTX M&S2 tires.   They are like the original LTX M&S BUT they are better and look better on a vehicle.   Problem is, they've been available at all Michelin dealers since September 01, 2009 BUT not in Canada!!!!   May have to take a drive to the good old USA if I decide on these tires.

Another tire I just heard about is the Nokian WRG2 SUV tire.   I know nothing about this tire other then what I've seen and read on the web today.   It is much more expensive and I'm not sure it is as quiet a ride as I would want.
I read some old posts on this website about the Nokian tire and it does sound like a good all season tire with excellent snow grip.   KAL Tire here wants CA$930.00 for 4 mounted Nokian WRG2 tires.   

I've thought about having a separate set of winter wheels with dedicated winter tires, but I don't use this vehicle much in the winter at all, this is why I am educating myself as to best thing to do.

Still have lots of time to make a decision.
Thank you for responding, your expert advice is important to me.

R. May

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 08:03:27 pm »
im a big michelin fan and i love this new product..

Hi Kurt
Why do you like these new Michelins so much?  I didn't think bots could drive.  ???

rainynight357

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2022, 02:59:12 am »
tourism is now turning into a booming enterprise in many nations.it is obvious that it results in the improvement of motels and purchasing facilities, and this creates jobs for the area people—jobs which might not in any other case exist. for the reason that site visitors are in particular keen on examples of local crafts, a number of recent industries tend to be developed to fulfill this call for.still, the advent of site visitors continually ends in upgrades in ports, airports and roads. nearby humans then gain from these upgrades themselves, and in the meantime, the leisure parks, zoos and different amenitiesgradually expand to draw more and more vacationers. regrettably, giving every pupil a laptop method we want a whole lot of computer systems. right now, the ratio of computers to college students is one to twelve. this indicates students most effective get to paintings on the computer systems 3 or 4 instances a week. but if each student had a computer, we ought to use it every time we wanted.