Author Topic: Mazda3 owners with corrosion issues, join us here!  (Read 156571 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Mazda3 owners with corrosion issues, join us here!
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2008, 06:42:18 am »
I think only the makes you mentioned use galvanized steel.  I had heard of some VW's rusting prematurely...but maybe I'm remembering wrong.  Seems like no car is completely safe from rust no matter what.

Any link?

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2008, 09:15:45 pm »
Been trying to find it and I can't.  I thought it might have been on this site actually...I recall someone having a hell of a time with one of the new Rabbits including rusting and all sorts of other issues.  Like I said...possibly I'm remembering wrong as I just can't find it.

But I did think it was neat that VW had galvanized steel as part of the standard for putting their cars together...I was never sure of how good that would be.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2008, 09:29:18 pm »
Been trying to find it and I can't.  I thought it might have been on this site actually...I recall someone having a hell of a time with one of the new Rabbits including rusting and all sorts of other issues.  Like I said...possibly I'm remembering wrong as I just can't find it.

But I did think it was neat that VW had galvanized steel as part of the standard for putting their cars together...I was never sure of how good that would be.

Is in the same place where it written  the Corolla had comfortable seats :rofl:

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2008, 12:36:24 am »

Is in the same place where it written  the Corolla had comfortable seats :rofl:
LOL

Fair point :)

ecarignan

« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2008, 12:40:06 pm »
My 2004 has rust at bottom of doors and now blistering on black metal between rear windows. I have adressed it with the dealer several times, no cooperation on their side at all. Last week, I put in a complaint to Mazda Canada and have them fix my problem. Mazda lady called me back today saying they can't do anything as it was reviewed by the dealer service manager and confirmed that it's not the original paint and that the car had been repainted. Someone is completely lost as this car has never been modified in any way from its original state. Left a message to the service manager.
I was about to buy a CX7 to replace my first car. Looks like I'm going to have to look at other manufacturers and not encourage this type of customer service.

Eric Carignan

Online Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2008, 01:16:08 pm »
My 2004 has rust at bottom of doors and now blistering on black metal between rear windows. I have adressed it with the dealer several times, no cooperation on their side at all. Last week, I put in a complaint to Mazda Canada and have them fix my problem. Mazda lady called me back today saying they can't do anything as it was reviewed by the dealer service manager and confirmed that it's not the original paint and that the car had been repainted. Someone is completely lost as this car has never been modified in any way from its original state. Left a message to the service manager.
I was about to buy a CX7 to replace my first car. Looks like I'm going to have to look at other manufacturers and not encourage this type of customer service.

Eric Carignan

Just a thought: Ask Mazda Canada to have the Mazda Regional Manager to inspect your car. In my very recent experience, when I told Mazda Customer Service that I disagree with the Service Manager’s assessment, she mentioned that as a possibility. I didn't take up on it as in the meantime I took my car to a different dealership (where I currently service my car) and the SM acknowledged the rust problem and said he will fix it.

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2008, 07:31:44 am »
 :iagree:

I had my 2003 Saturn Ion in for over a dozen warrantee repairs on the inside of 18 months, and the concern I had was that many were repeat problems covered under the 3-year bumper to bumper.  I was on a 4 year lease. 

I asked that the dealer extend the B to B warrantee for a year given the inconvenience I'd had being in the dealership nearly every month.  They said no, but would have the regional Service Manager investigate.

His response - was to point out the balance of the warrantee ran 4 years.  Now, either he though I was an idiot or he is an example of why GM is in the financial situtation it is by being so dense as to not understand their own warrantee - and that the problems were not covered under the non B to B warrrantee.

My point:  BE PREPARED when you see them. 

PS: CAMVAP fixed my problem - I got the B to B warrantee extended for free!

Fortune favours the bold!

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2008, 08:46:36 am »
ecarignan  Apparently Carling motors is good at covering the rust issue.

topcat

« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2008, 11:58:29 pm »
I'm sorry I didn't see this thread sooner. I know this thread is about Mazda3's but as others have pointed out the problem is epidemic with Mazda.
I have a 2002 Protoge 5 with under 42,000km and it is a rolling bucket of rust.
Much like zoomzoom girls car mine is rusting badly around the rear wells. In fact worse than hers. I'd post pictures but don't know how (yet).
I sent pictures to the dealership, to Mazda Canada, to Mazda HQ in Japan with no results. They will not respond.
The best body shop in our area figures its likely recycled steel and poor paint/rust inhibitor application. They don't want to touch it as they can't guarantee the job.
His advice was "pretty it up and unload it".
As Zoom Zoom Girl pointed out there is a small matter of personal ethics here.
I'm stuck with a barely broken in, rusted out P.O.S.
I should have a new car next month. I'll let you know what happens to my little red rustbucket
PS: The brakes on this car are a nightmare, third set of rotors in under 42K,but thats another whine.

Offline economan

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2008, 09:13:37 am »
Took my 2005 Mazda 3 in this morning for routine maintenance, pointed out surface rust in rear wheel wells.  Dealer said it was a known issue and they would fix it for free.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2008, 04:22:13 pm »
I'm sorry I didn't see this thread sooner. I know this thread is about Mazda3's but as others have pointed out the problem is epidemic with Mazda.
I have a 2002 Protoge 5 with under 42,000km and it is a rolling bucket of rust.
Much like zoomzoom girls car mine is rusting badly around the rear wells. In fact worse than hers. I'd post pictures but don't know how (yet).
I sent pictures to the dealership, to Mazda Canada, to Mazda HQ in Japan with no results. They will not respond.
The best body shop in our area figures its likely recycled steel and poor paint/rust inhibitor application. They don't want to touch it as they can't guarantee the job.
His advice was "pretty it up and unload it".
As Zoom Zoom Girl pointed out there is a small matter of personal ethics here.
I'm stuck with a barely broken in, rusted out P.O.S.
I should have a new car next month. I'll let you know what happens to my little red rustbucket
PS: The brakes on this car are a nightmare, third set of rotors in under 42K,but thats another whine.

No brake problems here? ??? I have about 76K on my 02'.

claudster

« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2008, 08:09:56 pm »
My  '07 Mazda 3 GT has just turned 1 year old. After reading this I'm startign to think I made a wrong decision. Does anyone know what Mazda has done in the later years to adress these issues? So far my 3 has been great, but I did notice that the paint (Electric Blue Mica) chips very easy. Any others experience this?

Online Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2008, 10:20:55 am »
My  '07 Mazda 3 GT has just turned 1 year old. After reading this I'm startign to think I made a wrong decision. Does anyone know what Mazda has done in the later years to adress these issues? So far my 3 has been great, but I did notice that the paint (Electric Blue Mica) chips very easy. Any others experience this?

I don't think you made the wrong decision. Enjoy your great car. The paint chips if hit by the road debris, but this is not specific to Mazda. Regardless of what some may say, the paint on the new cars is weaker than let’s say 10 years ago. Any car, from any brand, driven on the road will get paint chips. Make sure you buy the touch-up paint and repair them as soon as possible. If overly concerned, apply a 3M clear bra.
I have a 2005 Mazda3 and the only place I have some superficial rust is in the rear wheel wells (the dealer will get that cleaned up under Mazda warranty). That could've been prevented if the rustproof material would've been sprayed properly.

claudster

« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2008, 04:31:05 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I have been taking care of paint chips on an ongoing basis. I have also Krowned my 3 as well.
While at my local dealership I asked the service advisor about the rusting issues, and he went out of his way to deny that such an issue exists, so I suspect that he was hiding something.

barrie1

« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2008, 09:35:35 pm »
Another place where I have also seen a lot of rust is on the models that have spoilors on the back end of them. It seems to always be where they join up and around the bottom of the trunk decks as well on the vehicles in my area.  :)

Online Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2008, 01:05:10 am »
Thanks for the advice. I have been taking care of paint chips on an ongoing basis. I have also Krowned my 3 as well.
While at my local dealership I asked the service advisor about the rusting issues, and he went out of his way to deny that such an issue exists, so I suspect that he was hiding something.

I see you are in Woodbridge so in case you are taking your car to Prima Mazda perhaps is the time to look for alternatives. The service manager there is a total a$$.

claudster

« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2008, 04:38:11 pm »
Yes, you're correct that I have been dealing with Prima Mazda. So far I can't complain, after dealing with the local GM dealerships, I find Prima service to be a step up :) I'll take your advice, and look for alternatives when warrenty problems come up.

Online Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2008, 09:23:16 pm »
If you service your car at the dealer, I would recommend Avante Mazda in Richmond Hill (Yonge/Major Mackenzie). Service your car regularly there and you'll probably be treated well.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2008, 02:05:35 pm »
the new WHAT_er Based (safer! GREEN-er!) paint jobbies do seem less resilient........kinda like NEW_KLEAR vs WINDIES.....they have un-KNOWNS.....that show UP after a few weeks......soon I'm inventing a rubber based enamel....U can get yer ROCKS _ORFF wif NO chippies...... 8) ;D ;)............
Time is to stop everything happening at once

jcnclara

« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2008, 01:38:13 am »
Has anyone had any luck getting Mazda to fix the rust on their car.
We purchased a brand new Mazda 3 in June of 2004 and purchased the extended warranty up to 100,000 KM,s. We had the car serviced regularly and washed it almost weekly. A few months after 80,000 KM part of the 3/ 80 warranty ran out we noticed a few rust bubbles around the drivers side rear wheel well. We went to the dealership and was told that because we were over 80,000 that this probably would not be covered, but that that they would ask Mazda anyway. We were told that nothing could be done for us, but the dealership did offer to lend us a car while ours was being fixed. We also sent an e - mail directly to Mazda Canada asking them if they thought it was exceptable that a car less then three years old should be rusting. We were told that they could do nothing for us.
It has been a little over a year and the original wheel well is getting worst and the other side is starting break out too. The trunk lid is also starting to rust really bad around the third brake light.
We have been to a body shop and have a price of $1,000 to fix all of the rust. It is terrible to think that a person has to spend this kind of money to fix rust on a four year old vehicle in this day and age
We will never purchase another Mazda vehicle and tell everyone who asks about the rusting problem with ours.

Thanks.