Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 2922892 times)

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2013, 01:54:40 pm »
Drove on the back alley of the house, got lotsa mud on the truck.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2013, 03:25:24 pm »
Are you daily driving a Pacer?? If so, I commend your bravery...

no i'm driving something much more dangerous.... a dodge caliber. it's my demo. i think eventually, i'll be able to drive something else.

but yeah, in the summer i tend to drive the pacer 50% of the time.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2013, 03:48:06 pm »
What could'nt ya do to a Pacer and Caliber....that wouldn't be an improvement ;) ...........Hari Kari????
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2013, 04:47:14 pm »
Like everyone else, I changed the tires over last night.

After 5 months of driving on winter's you forget how much nicer the A/S tires are.  The handling is way better and the steering (particularly on center feel) is like night and day.

They're calling for 15 mm of rain this evening.  Thinking of doing a quick wash and letting mother nature do the rinsing.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2013, 05:51:55 pm »
Just finished changing the oil and filter in the Highlander.  Did the engine air filter and cabin air filter too.

Would love to meet the tech that did the job last time and make him EABOD for putting the filter on so tight I had to demolish it with filter pliers to get it off.  And same for the drain plug.  When the spec is 33lbs/ft, so way I should have to use a giant breaker bar to loosen it.

So now the V-6 is enjoying Signature Amsoil and an Amsoil filter.

Tomorrow the trans fluid gets changed.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2013, 10:28:01 pm »
Rechecked the torque on my lug bolts. 

Northernridge

« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2013, 05:43:27 pm »
Opened the sunroof for the first time in 6 months...all the way up to +7 today.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2013, 08:11:47 pm »
My home weather station saw 20C today!!  Whoo-hoo!  Went for a run in t-shirt and shorts, the first time in 2013.  Changed the trans fluid in the HL last night, so today did the plugs and plug wires in the Miata.  Found a teeny bit of oil in the cavities, so it looks like the valve cover gasket is weeping a bit.  Might be a good excuse to pull the cover and paint it red...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2013, 08:33:11 pm »
My home weather station saw 20C today!!  Whoo-hoo!  Went for a run in t-shirt and shorts, the first time in 2013.  Changed the trans fluid in the HL last night, so today did the plugs and plug wires in the Miata.  Found a teeny bit of oil in the cavities, so it looks like the valve cover gasket is weeping a bit.  Might be a good excuse to pull the cover and paint it red...

:thumbup: :thumbup: Looks good John.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2013, 09:04:05 pm »
Yeah, that really looks good.
I wish I had time do car stuff during the week...All I did today with my car was spend a total of 3.5 hours in traffic.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2013, 09:06:00 pm »
  Might be a good excuse to pull the cover and paint it red...

How many horsepower is that good for?

I kid...I kid....looks good!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2013, 09:14:29 pm »
After nearly 8 years and 180,000kms the only issues I've ever had with my "GM" product has been 1 alternator, leaky waterpump, and a failure of the DVD nav unit.

Well today was not a good day...........There was a bit of antifreeze on the driveway today after my wife pulled out, when she got back I checked the level and sure enough it was down .5L or so. Looking underneth it was running down the right side of the transmission, just a small amount, a drip not streaming. Off to the local ma and pa shop where he quickly diagnosed it as the right head gasket leaking  >:(

Drove the truck back home, it was still running flawless. Got to checking things out myself as I just could not belive it had a blown head gasket. Well, I fixed the problem with a $42 part from GM. The rear tee that splits the front heater hoses to the rear heat was dripping, thank heavens for simple and cheap fixes!  ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2013, 09:20:42 pm »
After nearly 8 years and 180,000kms the only issues I've ever had with my "GM" product has been 1 alternator, leaky waterpump, and a failure of the DVD nav unit.

Well today was not a good day...........There was a bit of antifreeze on the driveway today after my wife pulled out, when she got back I checked the level and sure enough it was down .5L or so. Looking underneth it was running down the right side of the transmission, just a small amount, a drip not streaming. Off to the local ma and pa shop where he quickly diagnosed it as the right head gasket leaking  >:(

Drove the truck back home, it was still running flawless. Got to checking things out myself as I just could not belive it had a blown head gasket. Well, I fixed the problem with a $42 part from GM. The rear tee that splits the front heater hoses to the rear heat was dripping, thank heavens for simple and cheap fixes!  ;D

You can usually tell a blown head gasket by coolant in the oil.....

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2013, 09:32:16 pm »

You can usually tell a blown head gasket by coolant in the oil.....

Not if the leak is external. I've seen it lots on Cummins industrial engines and even had a K-car as a kid that had an external HG leak.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2013, 09:57:48 pm »
I put my car in the trailer.  1 more day and I'm off to the track!

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2013, 06:55:53 am »
What's RED and Hard,leaks and runs in shorts.........................facked if i know,,,,,, ??? 8) :o ::) :P .

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2013, 10:26:30 pm »
Just spent 4 hours (after work) drying the interior of the Firebird with a towel, shop vac and hair dryer.....not my idea of a good Friday night...Girl left the window open in yesterday's downpour.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2013, 11:52:08 pm »
Just spent 4 hours (after work) drying the interior of the Firebird with a towel, shop vac and hair dryer.....not my idea of a good Friday night...Girl left the window open in yesterday's downpour.
hope you made her sleep on the couch...or at least she made it up to you by making you a sandwich while you toiled...or something to that effect  ;)
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2013, 10:33:08 am »
that sucks firm... hope you got it all! did something similar back in the day.. and to be sure it dried, i left the car running with the heat on full.... forgot about it until i went out the next morning. couldn't figure out why all the new snow that fell had avoided my car.  whoops.

so yeah.. currently just doing some touch-ups and cleaning my wife's car. wiper arms are all chipped and rusty, so just taking those off and putting some black paint on there. should help. found quite a few rust spots/blisters on her beast though... beyond my repair abilities. wish i had noticed it all earlier.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2013, 01:20:54 pm »

so yeah.. currently just doing some touch-ups and cleaning my wife's car. wiper arms are all chipped and rusty, so just taking those off and putting some black paint on there. should help. found quite a few rust spots/blisters on her breast though... beyond my repair abilities. wish i had noticed it all earlier.

What kind of paint did you use?   I need find something that can cover rust under my car without too much prep work.   I cleaned and re-lubed my brake slider pins today and noticed how rusty everything is under my car now.    :(