Author Topic: What cars do you realistically plan to own?  (Read 318505 times)

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
Re: What cars do you realistically plan to own?
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2013, 10:29:55 pm »
OK, so no lottery win questions etc.  On your current and realistic future budget, what car purchases are on your wish list?

Me:

• Motorbike x 2 - One for me, one for the wife.  Both getting our licences this Summer, will get one bike this year and another next year.
  • Jaguar - Either an XJR, XKR, or XJR, possibly a replacement for the 5 series when I decided to move on.  I just can't get enough of that engine.  I would have put C63 on the list but the Jag just tops it for me.
  • Ford F150 - At some point in my life I have to own a truck, the F150 is my favourite.
  • Ford Mustang / Chevy Camaro - Again, I have to do the redneck muscle car thing at some point.  This will replace the wife's car, she prefers the Camaro.  I'm intrigued to see what the 2014 models end up like.  Will likely buy one used if they are good.
  • Jeep - Even if I only own this for a year, gotta do it once.
  • Daytona Cobra (Factory Five) - Can't wait to build this, it will be a project for me in a few years time when the kids are a bit older.  Was planning on doing it next year but I have very little spare time at the moment.  Always wanted one of these, one of my favourite cars of all time.
  • Ferrari 348/355 - After selling the Cobra.  Obviously can't own everything at once, LOL!
  • Morgan 3-Wheeler - Again, another fun car, will have to see if they even come to Canada or I if can get one in.  A ridiculously fun car, and one you can drive at the limit without getting into too much trouble.  If not one of these then a Caterham 7.

The only thing in here to really stretch the budget will be the Daytona, with which I can spread out the cost as I build it, so 2-3 years.  Hopefully after keeping it for a few more years I can then save up a bit more, sell it, and move on to a Ferrari.  So it sounds expensive but I believe it's realistic if I work hard enough.  I love cars so am willing to sacrifice other things.

:)

Yours?

Cool topic. Cool choices.

The M3 and 335i have been my favorite cars to date, so I definitely like the DNA of these cars and look forward to the new M3/ M4.

Besides the Miata (and the next generation one), I look forward to seeing what Toyobaru might do with the twins in the next few years. I really like these small, nimble, 'simple' fun cars. I don't care as much about luxury. I'm not someone who needs that much power either, and I prize precision, feel and handling more than power.... even with a possible STI variant, I suspect we'll see little enhancements even to the regular model, which I'd probably be more interested in anyway. I probably will choose the next gen. Miata over this car again in the future, but I like what it stands for.

Same with cars like the new Mazda6 diesel (with a slick manual transmission available on all trim levels) or the new Honda Accord V6 6MT that I hear good things about. I know these are not cars for me, but I like that these are reasonable price cars with fun as an objective.

I'm curious about Porsche and I tried a Boxster S, which was a technical marvel. But I didn't 'connect' with the car to be honest, and I don't have the 'desire' at the moment to look further... maybe because I'm content right now. To spend $$$, I really need to love a car like crazy. I really feel like my BMWs have been great 'value for money' (don't laugh FGC sceptics), because of the smiles per miles they've brought me. Very personal obviously. You drawn to certain cars or you're not. I do plan on taking a Porsche driving school in a couple of years, so we'll see if the luuuv develops...

To round out the types of cars, I would like a practical hatch or a mini-CUV. I've loved/love my RWD coupes/roadster, but I wouldn't mind something with a little practicality. Unfortunately, I could not get truly comfortable in the GTI and, as for the Focus hatch - forget it, even more ergonomically incompatible. There's supposed to be a new Mazda CX-3 coming out. I'd be interested in seeing that. Maybe for a winter car.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 10:36:01 pm by Julie »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2013, 12:24:16 am »
BRZ, Boxster/Cayman, Corvette

Those are also my 3 choices of late.  But primary need is reliability and ease of repair.   That strikes the Porsche and Corvette off the list since it looks like Toyota will be offering a TRD supercharger on the FRS/BRZ.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2013, 11:09:42 am »
This is a fun topic.

Commuter:
1997+ Alfa Romeo 155 2.5 V6 Widebody
2003+ Alfa Romeo 156 3.2 GTA
2008 Saab 9-3 Turbo X Sportcombi

Toys:
1997+ Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
1997+ Alfa Romeo Spider 3.0 V6

Buying the Alfa 155 hopefully this spring.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 01:35:55 pm by ChaosphereIX »
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2013, 12:39:07 pm »
Cadillac ATS.

Northernridge

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2013, 01:25:32 pm »

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2013, 01:27:59 pm »
Daily driver (commute car):
Accord 4-cyl Touring, Avalon, Lexus ES, RAV4, 328i xDrive, C300, B250, GLK (diesel), Acura TL (Elite), Accord Crosstour (yes, the butt ugly one)

Toys:
S2000, Cayman.

No ATS please :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 01:31:44 pm by whaddaiknow »

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2013, 01:32:55 pm »
Cadillac ATS.

:thumbup: :thumbup:  How soon?

I should have put a smiley on that post.  :)

But if they build a wagon version and keep the manual transmission, I'd consider it as a replacement for the GTI sometime around 2020.  :)

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2013, 02:14:40 pm »
well... the honest answer is that the only thing i can say i will most likely own eventually is a Van. and given my history, most likely a Grand Caravan or what ever it will be called in that eventuality.

more important in my reality is getting a garage. i have a feeling i will inherit my dad's "toybox" and vehicles, so those cars will be my future fun things. not all my first choices, but i'm sure i'll have a blast with them all.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2013, 09:17:03 pm »
I planned to own a Beetle and got one after saving up.    I guess that's realistic and within financial means. 

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2013, 09:35:21 pm »
This thread should be stickied... and revisted in 5 years or how many ever years and see if any of you people follow up in getting these cars.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2013, 09:47:12 pm »
This thread should be stickied... and revisted in 5 years or how many ever years and see if any of you people follow up in getting these cars.
seconded. I for one really do plan on owning some or all of the eclectic cars I listed. Purchasing the Alfa 155 this spring.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2013, 09:48:09 pm »

A sticky would be interesting...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2013, 10:01:37 pm »

Agreed, come on James, make it so.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2013, 10:09:06 pm »

Agreed, come on James, make it so.

It looks like it's been done.  ;D Thanks James.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2013, 10:29:06 pm »
This is like our communal life goals sticky note.

I do not believe that, at least among the regulars, we presently have current owners of any pasta rockets, Jags/Aston's, or AMGs.

Get to it people!
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2013, 10:40:10 pm »
I gave myself a realistic timeline, expect an update in a couple of weeks on the motorbike.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2013, 08:02:52 pm »

Great idea. 

My current plan is keep my cars going for the next 5 or so years as my kids start to drive.   Also stock up on silicone lube as the insurance will hurt in the rear. 

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2013, 08:14:14 pm »
I'm actually thinking about a TR6. 15-20K will get you a pretty nicely done up restoration and it's probably about time I did the whole "mid-life crisis try to relive your youth" thing.  ;D
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2013, 08:36:43 pm »
I'm actually thinking about a TR6. 15-20K will get you a pretty nicely done up restoration and it's probably about time I did the whole "mid-life crisis try to relive your youth" thing.  ;D

There's 3 for sale in Nova Scotia right now if you like red. ;D

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/f-triumph-tr-6-cars-vehicles-W0QQCatIdZ27QQKeywordZtriumphQ20trQ2d6QQisProvinceSearchZtrueQQisSearchFormZtrue
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2013, 08:39:37 pm »
I can realistically see me getting back into another sports sedan.  I really miss having one in a big way!  The Q50 certainly has my interest peaked.  A new Boxster S would be a nice replacement for my S2000 at some point, but I'm not sure how "realistic" that actually is. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing