Author Topic: Rental car thread  (Read 347916 times)

CatsEye68

Re: Rental car thread
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2010, 08:00:19 pm »
Back in '91 I was visiting Florida and got a Ford Taurus rental from Budget -- decent enough car. Driving from Orlando to Tampa on I4 in heavy traffic, I saw in my lane a road snake -- a truck tire tread that had delaminated. Traffic had me boxed in and I had no maneuvering room so I ran over it. Aside from a think on the underside there seemed no ill effects.

A few minutes later an older Ford LTD with 4 people in it pulls alongside me and starts waving at me, gesturing that I should pull over. Fortunately there was an exit right ahead and I pulled off onto the ramp well away from the interstate. The LTD pulled over next to me. I got out to see  a puddle of gasoline forming under the Taurus -- the tire tread had severed the fuel return line and gas was pumping out all over the place. The folks in the LTD were a family of locals who were offering to help. They drove to a phone and called Budget for me. After a while as I was waiting, a state trooper came by and was not at all helpful, trying to tell me I couldn't park there -- not that I was about to move the car at that point. After he understood that he just told me to be careful, as this wasn't a good area, and drove off. Lovely.

After perhaps an hour, a tow truck arrived from Budget along with a Dodge Dynasty as a replacement. The Dynasty was a lousy car compared to the Taurus, but I was just glad to get the hell out of there at that point. In thinking back any number of bad things could have happened to me in that incident, and I'm just lucky nothing did.

mp3butt

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2010, 08:39:52 pm »
Best Rental: 2 years ago four of us got a Ford Mondeo wagon from a Sixt store in downtown Frankfurt. It was equiped with the 2.0 petrol engine. It was not overly fast, but it certainly didn't embarrass itself on autobahn (with 4 adults and luggage). We clocked over 2000 km over the next 8 days in Southern Germany and Swiss. Man it was a handler with a sweet 5 sp stick. It was big but felt much more like a smaller car.

Worst Rental (Uhaul truck and cargo van excluded). Few years ago in Nova Scotia, I reserved for a Chevy Cobalt and got a V6 Sebring (MY06) instead. It completely robbed my joy of driving for the next 7 days and 2300 km. What a way to ruin the honeymoon for a gearhead  >:(

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2010, 09:36:13 pm »
Best equipped car I ever rented was a Peugeot in Sweden back in 2006. Even in October I had winter tires and all the safety equipment including chains.

I needed the winter boots as some of the reads we traveled on for site visits were not ploughed yet.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2010, 09:48:41 pm »
Now back to the good ones..

IIRC, both of those were only available in auto as rentals, correct?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2010, 09:58:58 pm »
Best one was a Ford Focus Wagon.   It drove well for a long road trip to the US.  Plenty of room to carry along a high chair and portable potty.   Funny thing, the U.S. border agent saw the potty and didn't want to dig deeper into the cargo area.

Worst one was a Chevy Cavalier.   The seat really hurted my back on the long drive from Quebec City to Ottawa.  Normally I don't get back aches.  Also winter road spray of dirt and salt seemed to stick to the side mirrors making it impossible to use and required frequent stops to clean.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2010, 11:20:37 pm »
^^Smoky burnouts are fun whatever the tranny....... ;)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2010, 11:57:56 pm »
Best rental: Hyundai Azera.  I was given this as an upgrade, from what I can't recall.  Lots of fun to drive, comfortable and fast.  Made plenty of use of the Shiftronic shifter on the Coronado Trail.

In what seems to be a common thread, the worst was a Chevy Cobalt because of the seats.  I have never encountered more uncomfortable seats.  My back was killing me within hours of getting the car.  Too bad, really, since the rest of the car wasn't all that bad.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pleem

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Equinox
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2010, 03:27:08 pm »
Timely thread as my wife and I just returned from Florida.  Our vehicle during our time there was a '09 Saturn Aura XR.  I was expecting an Impala LT or equivalent and that's pretty much what we got.  It proved to be a quiet, comfortable cruiser with more than ample power and no bad habits.  However, the interior was spartan with mono-tone grey plastic throughout such that the leather seat surfaces seemed out of place (my '04 MPV is far nicer).  Closing the front doors reinforced the impression of cheap; imagine the sound created by hitting a piece of corrugated sheet steel with a rubber mallet.  Out of curiosity I reviewed a couple Aura reviews here at CD.  Generally the testers observations were similar to mine but I think they were too complimentary.

Other non-related auto observations:

- No indications of a big shift to smaller vehicles in eastern or central Fla
- Pickups popular, Ford the dominant brand with Toyota and Dodge following, Nissan Frontier is relatively common, not many GM
- Traditional SUVs common, some CUVs, few vans (mostly Sienna)
- Noticed quite a few Chevy Avalanche / Caddy Escalade
- Lexus and Infinity are common
- Not many high-performance cars seen (new camaro/mustang/challenger or '60s classics)
- Gas prices: $2.75-$2.80 for 87, $2.95-$3.00 for 89, $3.15 or so for 91

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2010, 04:49:37 pm »
Closing the front doors reinforced the impression of cheap; imagine the sound created by hitting a piece of corrugated sheet steel with a rubber mallet. 

:rofl2:  Great description.

Offline Apok

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +8/-7
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Current: 2014 Ford F-150 ][ Owned: 1998 VW Golf, 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart, 1991 VW Golf 1.6D, 2010 Colorado, 2003 Subaru Outback
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2010, 10:11:05 am »
I rented a car when I was visiting a friend in Mannheim, Germany and we rented a car to get to Garmiche for some skiing. I was hoping to get a VW Golf at the least but alas being poor students meant we were stuck with a Fiat Panda. It wasn't a bad car albeit a bit cramped and down on power (I topped out at 120km/h), but the fuel economy was great.

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2010, 07:52:27 am »
Had to drop off the family truckster for the wheelchair overhaul in the C.O.U. and looked at taking a train ride back. The Via schedule chewed so I thought about renting a car...on the cheap. After negotiating no drop off fee for dropping the car 300 km from the rental location I proceeded to book my rental for a "small" car at the hefty sum of $37.99. I arrived and was directed to my chariot.....a Kia Rio Sedan with about 40,000 K's on it. I was seriously dreading the ride home. I got in and weas pleasantly surprised to find that the head unit supported blue-tooth hands-free AND blue-tooth audio, cracked out the iPhone and had tunes and calls all the way home. Even had heated front seats! No cruise was a bummer on the long, flat and boring 401 but the car performed fine and cost me a grand total of near $20.00 in fuel to get home (about 100 km was done with the O/D off, for no good reason).....far cry from the $45 to drive my Denali back from TO. The car was, as expected, noisy on the highway, buzzy, a little tight in the cabin and nothing to write home about in the power department....but all in all not so bad. A capable little beast that would serve as a great commuter/boring drive appliance in my estimation. It's been quite a long time since I have been in a small car rental and this is probably my best experience so far.
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2010, 07:55:16 am »
So was that the new VW / Grand Caravan you dropped off?

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2010, 01:15:40 pm »
Best equipped car I ever rented was a Peugeot in Sweden back in 2006. Even in October I had winter tires and all the safety equipment including chains.

I needed the winter boots as some of the reads we traveled on for site visits were not ploughed yet.
You need to upgrade or purge your photo album.  All we see is:

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2010, 02:14:45 pm »
So was that the new VW / Grand Caravan you dropped off?

Brand Engineered Spanking new Routan....Black.

Dropped it off here....http://www.wheelchairvans.ca/
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 02:25:59 pm by DockMan »

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2010, 02:23:28 pm »
... ::) BRAND! New spanking ROUTINE......pleeze eluciDATE :pimp: :fall:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Spheric

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2010, 04:19:17 pm »
Do you check the tire pressures when you pick up the rental ?

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2010, 11:31:38 pm »
Do you check the tire pressures when you pick up the rental ?

I do and find that the pressures usually match the maximum posted on the sidewall.   >:(

Offline overtakeyouintheleftlane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 Pontiac Grand AM (sent for scrap), 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon (sold) and a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2017 Hyundai Accent GL sedan
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2010, 01:11:41 pm »
Best rentals I've had was a 2006 Honda Accord with a 4 cylinder engine and a Ford Fusion V6. Gas was reasonable, seats were nice and the power was decent.

Worst rentals was a Chevrolet Cobalt and the Cavalier/Sunfire. Heating and cooling were great. Fuel economy was good but the seats were the worst I've ever sat in, my back hurt in less than 5 minutes. Now we know where GM definitely cut costs (besides the interior plastics).
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 02:48:55 pm by overtakeyouintheleftlane »

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2010, 02:31:18 pm »
Today my boss mentioned his recent trip to Hawaii...he was stopped by police for using a cell phone while driving, and they discovered that the rental car had no valid reistration or insurance.  He had to take it back to the rental place right away, and they never even apologized.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2010, 02:39:06 pm »

Ua ho' ahalahala'ia mai nei au ke ke kuene,a hilahila ihola au...........

the busboy has cursed me and i am ashamed...........close enuf............ :D