Author Topic: Real-world fuel consumption  (Read 961793 times)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: Real-world fuel consumption
« Reply #4600 on: May 02, 2024, 07:15:44 am »
Trip is done. Ended up with 11,000 km (give or take a hundred or so) and average economy for the entire trip was 6.5 L/100. This is with my roof box (15 cf) and winter tires.

Best tank was 5.7 (mostly back roads in Utah) and worst was 7.5 (trying to get away from the tornadoes in Kansas)

Coldest temp was -2C (when I left in a snow storm) and 34C (in St George Utah).

Car and box is covered in a million dead bugs.
Very nice and that is pretty remarkable mileage with a roof box, even if it's aerodynamic it'll still cause quite the dip in fuel economy.  Sounds like you saw a lot of land and had some adventures along the way.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #4601 on: May 03, 2024, 09:30:39 am »
Congrats, man! Great trip! Hope it did your mind and body good!

And this is also why the Corolla (and Camry) are so beloved. They go about their business with little fuss and lots of efficiency and competency. And in the last generations Toyoda added in some personality and fun to drive.

This is a really good car IMO. Are you still liking it?

Still love the car. It does everything it should without any fuss or trouble. Drives great on the freeways, no problems holding speed or passing, even climbing over the two passes in Colorado (10,200 and 11,500 feet) wasn't an issue.  The stereo sucks (sound quality, there is none) but I knew that before buying it.

Radar cruise and lane keep worked great to help make driving more relaxing, especially across the straight, flat, boring sections in the mid-west.

The only thing I don't like about it isn't the cars fault. I still miss having a hatch/wagon.

Now coming up on 78,000 km. Bought the car new in Oct 2021.

I still think about a new car (hatch/wagon) but I have to spend $40k+ and get worse fuel economy.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4602 on: May 03, 2024, 09:34:58 am »
Very nice and that is pretty remarkable mileage with a roof box, even if it's aerodynamic it'll still cause quite the dip in fuel economy.  Sounds like you saw a lot of land and had some adventures along the way.

The box adds 1-2 L/100 depending on the wind and/or speed. I set the cruise at 120 kph unless I'm working a really strong headwind which I had a few times.

Spent most of my time in NC, AZ, UT, and CO. The rest would be driving across and back the very wide country. Thank goodness for podcasts.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #4603 on: May 10, 2024, 01:14:22 pm »
Finally filled up after last weeks trip to Saskamatoon...not as impressive as I was hoping (pretty sure my kids 5.0 did better last year to AB and back) but I averaged 30 Imperialist mpg over 1840 km of driving.  Or if AB was still here or for those who love their l/100's - 9.5l/100 - most of the time at 120 kmh.  Set it and forget it.  I guess it's not terrible in the end for a V6 car with heavy wheels and tires and shi#.  And it was way more comfortable than the Sonic would've been. 

Maybe if I didn't have the tunes cranked the whole way there and back - that probably took some juice keeping the speakers at 11 ,I mean the alternator would've been working over-time.  Or maybe it was because it rained, a lot.  Almost all the way home, driving in water...it's not a boat! (in which case it actually did ok I guess.  :P ;D)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #4604 on: May 10, 2024, 01:20:05 pm »
Finally filled up after last weeks trip to Saskamatoon...not as impressive as I was hoping (pretty sure my kids 5.0 did better last year to AB and back) but I averaged 30 Imperialist mpg over 1840 km of driving.  Or if AB was still here or for those who love their l/100's - 9.5l/100 - most of the time at 120 kmh.  Set it and forget it.  I guess it's not terrible in the end for a V6 car with heavy wheels and tires and shi#.  And it was way more comfortable than the Sonic would've been. 

Maybe if I didn't have the tunes cranked the whole way there and back - that probably took some juice keeping the speakers at 11 ,I mean the alternator would've been working over-time.  Or maybe it was because it rained, a lot.  Almost all the way home, driving in water...it's not a boat! (in which case it actually did ok I guess.  :P ;D)
Is this the Ford Fusion Sport?

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #4605 on: May 10, 2024, 02:47:28 pm »
Yup.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4606 on: May 17, 2024, 09:32:58 am »
Did a 500 km return trip yesterday. Half on the 401 and half on backroads, out and back on the same roads, wind looked consistent both directions ending with a nice 5.3 L/100. Still on winter tires.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #4607 on: Yesterday at 10:50:32 am »
 Just completed a cross country trip with my wife in the Civic. Total of 12135 Km's travelled, 676.711 litres consumed  :o ,$1124.94 spent. Mileage for trip 5.57 liters per 100 km's. Cars guage showed .2 better.  Glad we were able to make the trip and see our country from another perspective . I noticed you can get phenomenal mileage out west compared to my home province.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #4608 on: Yesterday at 11:06:41 am »

Congrats, man! Great trip! Hope it did your mind and body good!

And this is also why the Corolla (and Camry) are so beloved. They go about their business with little fuss and lots of efficiency and competency. And in the last generations Toyoda added in some personality and fun to drive.

This is a really good car IMO. Are you still liking it?

Still love the car. It does everything it should without any fuss or trouble. Drives great on the freeways, no problems holding speed or passing, even climbing over the two passes in Colorado (10,200 and 11,500 feet) wasn't an issue.  The stereo sucks (sound quality, there is none) but I knew that before buying it.

Radar cruise and lane keep worked great to help make driving more relaxing, especially across the straight, flat, boring sections in the mid-west.

The only thing I don't like about it isn't the cars fault. I still miss having a hatch/wagon.

Now coming up on 78,000 km. Bought the car new in Oct 2021.

I still think about a new car (hatch/wagon) but I have to spend $40k+ and get worse fuel economy.

With the epic drives you've been doing, you really should invest in an OpenPilot for the boring or interstate stretches.

Will make it feel like a new car! LOL [emoji38]
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #4609 on: Yesterday at 12:03:15 pm »
Just completed a cross country trip with my wife in the Civic. Total of 12135 Km's travelled, 676.711 litres consumed  :o ,$1124.94 spent. Mileage for trip 5.57 liters per 100 km's. Cars guage showed .2 better.  Glad we were able to make the trip and see our country from another perspective . I noticed you can get phenomenal mileage out west compared to my home province.
So so much driving!  And impressive fuel economy.  But I guess getting back into the highway with a warm engine and no city driving makes a big difference.

What was your average cruising speed?
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #4610 on: Yesterday at 04:51:13 pm »

Amazing drive!
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4611 on: Yesterday at 09:02:09 pm »
So so much driving!  And impressive fuel economy.  But I guess getting back into the highway with a warm engine and no city driving makes a big difference.

What was your average cruising speed?

Didn't really keep track of that part. Sort of blended in with everyone else. When we went on the Coquihalla highway in BC i was expecting to be run off the road  by what was mentioned on this forum in the past. I liked that there were two lanes on the downhill so you could easily get past slower drivers without wearing out your brakes. ;D.  In Northern Ontario the speed limit was 90 but noticed 110 or higher was the average. Lots of places to pass though to get past the trucks and RV's.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:04:57 pm by Seafoam »

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4612 on: Yesterday at 09:22:04 pm »

Amazing drive!

We have been wanting to do this for a while. No parents left to worry about so we decided to do it.