Author Topic: Out-of-province inspection in Calgary  (Read 1115 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: Out-of-province inspection in Calgary
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2024, 10:58:18 am »
My wife's 3 year old Saturn from Ottawa needed the alternator replaced from corrosion.  ;D  Looks like they have come a long way from the 90s.

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2024, 04:27:44 pm »
^^ on the rotors. Wouldn't they just measure the thickness ,same for pads ? I know in my province we have motor vehicle inspections every two years.  Does Alberta have inspections regularly or never ?
Excessive rust on the in-board side of the rotors.  No other inspections required in Alberta.
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2024, 04:35:22 pm »
^^ on the rotors. Wouldn't they just measure the thickness ,same for pads ? I know in my province we have motor vehicle inspections every two years.  Does Alberta have inspections regularly or never ?

Once out of province inspection is passed no more inspections ever. No annual or bi-annual inspections. How long do rotors last in the salt bath areas of Ontario?

I trade my car every 4 years and have never had to replace the rotors. this car being 2-3 years old should be good
I'm sure  you never have replaced your rotors, but have you ever looked at the in-board side of the rotors or even looked at the under carriage?  My dealership buys a lot of eastern cars. Bodies and w/shields are great, the underside can be a true nightmare. Not all are bad, but the majority are. I'm not saying they are death traps, but the rust compared to what we see out west is considerably more.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2024, 07:03:12 pm »

Once out of province inspection is passed no more inspections ever. No annual or bi-annual inspections. How long do rotors last in the salt bath areas of Ontario?

Don't know not from that province. No inspections in Alberta, probably a lot more junk not fit for for the road then. :P

As for my rotors. Had the car for 11 years . Changed the originals at about 160,000 km at the 10 year mark.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 07:07:54 pm by Seafoam »
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2024, 09:01:54 pm »
Anytime I get a OOP car I usually change out pads and rotors no matter what. The shop loves to see fresh brakes and it really doesn’t cost much to diy. Parking brakes are a thorn in my side though. Nobody uses them anymore and they’re usually seized up, tech goes to apply the brake and snaps the cable.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2024, 11:10:48 am »
...Parking brakes are a thorn in my side though. Nobody uses them anymore and they’re usually seized up, tech goes to apply the brake and snaps the cable.

What's a parking brake?  :think:

I hear people using them in the city...on cars with automatic transmissions...on a parking lot so flat you couldn't roll a marble...well that's pretty much 85% of populated MB...balls don't roll...walking is a futile exercise as there's no elevation changes...parking brakes are for pu$$ies!!  ;D

I once had a car fail a safety as the visors didn't have any clips to lock in to...the car didn't ever come with them FFS.  The leaking gas tank?  Never mentioned...  ::)  Just don't move or buy anything and you never have to worry or think about getting a safety done.   ;) ;D

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2024, 05:38:16 pm »
 ^^ Depends on the province. Wouldn't want to buy one of your deathtraps. :P

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2024, 10:26:35 pm »

. Nobody uses them anymore and they’re usually seized up, tech goes to apply the brake and snaps the cable.

Use them every single day on all our cars...and pretty much every car I've owned.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2024, 10:59:47 pm »

. Nobody uses them anymore and they’re usually seized up, tech goes to apply the brake and snaps the cable.

Use them every single day on all our cars...and pretty much every car I've owned.
Same here.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2024, 02:22:29 am »
Interesting. I know one person who religiously uses his parking brake every single time he parks. He’s also a driving instructor so I guess he knows best. I use mine when I park while towing or of course in a manual transmission vehicle. Outside if that it never crosses my mind to apply the park brake in normal daily use.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2024, 02:57:56 am »
. Outside if that it never crosses my mind to apply the park brake in normal daily use.

Geez...wonder why they seize?  LOL [emoji38]

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2024, 07:09:20 am »
I use the one in the Golf all the time.  Habit from driving manuals

The ebrake cable in the Highlander is seized, so I don't bother.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +121/-437
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2024, 07:29:19 am »
Interesting. I know one person who religiously uses his parking brake every single time he parks. He’s also a driving instructor so I guess he knows best. I use mine when I park while towing or of course in a manual transmission vehicle. Outside if that it never crosses my mind to apply the park brake in normal daily use.

I don't consciously use it either, but the Audi automatically engages it any time you are parked on any slope
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 10:44:01 am by Allen »

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2024, 11:09:44 am »
^^ Depends on the province. Wouldn't want to buy one of your deathtraps. :P

All my parking brakes work fine.  I "use" them to keep them free'd up, but for parking? On level ground? LMAO. That's what P is for or first gear in the stick car.  Or for sliding around a corner (don't forget to disable TC or it'll ruin the fun) in the manual car in winter.