Author Topic: Prius Prime  (Read 1188 times)

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
Prius Prime
« on: April 04, 2024, 02:45:58 pm »
Has anyone driven the current generation Prius Prime and provide feedback on it?

Looking at maybe buying one. Don't really want a full electric, as the PHEV range meets my needs. Tesla Model 3 price is comparable in price but don't really want a full EV. Kia and Hyundai also has offerings but prefer the resale and reliability of the Toyota way more than the Koreans.They are rare here in BC and no dealers have any inventory. Current wait time is 8-12 months. Incentives bring price down $5000-$7000. Still seems expensive for a Prius but the EV rebate incentive make it comparable to the regular Prius.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1159
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
Re: Prius Prime
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2024, 03:20:19 pm »
Did you test drive it, did you like it? Can't go wrong with a Prius Prime. If you like it, get on the waiting list now!

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2024, 03:27:07 pm »
Did you test drive it, did you like it? Can't go wrong with a Prius Prime. If you like it, get on the waiting list now!

No test drive unfortunately as no inventory...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2024, 05:54:35 pm »
Has anyone driven the current generation Prius Prime and provide feedback on it?

Looking at maybe buying one. Don't really want a full electric, as the PHEV range meets my needs. Tesla Model 3 price is comparable in price but don't really want a full EV. Kia and Hyundai also has offerings but prefer the resale and reliability of the Toyota way more than the Koreans.They are rare here in BC and no dealers have any inventory. Current wait time is 8-12 months. Incentives bring price down $5000-$7000. Still seems expensive for a Prius but the EV rebate incentive make it comparable to the regular Prius.
Giant Dwarf Jeff. He went to the press introduction.

I had ordered one...But I had only driven the hybrid version of this new Prius.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 05:56:40 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX5 Signature - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2024, 06:10:30 pm »

Marcus BCAA EVO car share has lots in their fleet.
If you’re in lower mainland rent one from them.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2024, 06:42:07 pm »

Marcus BCAA EVO car share has lots in their fleet.
If you’re in lower mainland rent one from them.

I actually looked into that, but I believe they are only the regular hybrid models and not the Prime.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2024, 06:43:13 pm »

Yeah, I remember that. How long were you on the waitlist for?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2024, 07:07:46 pm »

About a year. It was right when they were announced..Even before pricing.

Not any quicker now, eh?

FWIW, I was told the Prime drives the same as Hybrid but is more quiet and feels like the hot "GR" version of a Prius.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2024, 09:47:50 pm »

Not any quicker now, eh?

FWIW, I was told the Prime drives the same as Hybrid but is more quiet and feels like the hot "GR" version of a Prius.

Different responses from different dealers. Around 8-12 months more or less. BC and Quebec are likely getting more allocations because of the higher incentives available but more demand from that as a result.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2024, 10:46:14 pm »

Not any quicker now, eh?

Different responses from different dealers. Around 8-12 months more or less. BC and Quebec are likely getting more allocations because of the higher incentives available but more demand from that as a result.
IMO, worth the wait.

Perhaps most fuel efficient on the market, great styling, great performance (for what it is), etc

I've been very, very pleased with mine and the new one is better...lots better...in all regards.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2024, 12:26:36 am »

Not any quicker now, eh?

IMO, worth the wait.

Perhaps most fuel efficient on the market, great styling, great performance (for what it is), etc

I've been very, very pleased with mine and the new one is better...lots better...in all regards.

I agree. There is not much to complain about really. Well the price is high but the incentives help with that. Is that an XSE that you had ordered? The SE really has everything I would need, but the XSE looks better with the 19" wheels and the glass roof.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2024, 02:10:15 am »

Not any quicker now, eh?

IMO, worth the wait.

I agree. There is not much to complain about really. Well the price is high but the incentives help with that. Is that an XSE that you had ordered? The SE really has everything I would need, but the XSE looks better with the 19" wheels and the glass roof.
XSE, every option.

Yea, I wanted every gadget possible.  And yes, I like the wheels too. However, you lose range in that trim.

Lifetime average is 2.2L/100km and that's with what I consider not ideal driving conditions (I live 30km from city, work, IQ work) so I'm nearly burning my entire EV range for half the trip. The new Prime is better in this regard so I think my lifetime would easily be in the 1s with one of those!! My best tank of fuel was over 4,000km.

And if you want to take it up an OMG notch, OpenPilot from Comma.ai is the best self driving suite on the market. And it's not close. They once again won for best on market (by far) but they wouldn't publish the results because it's "open source". Mine was great, and I had the first gen.  Pretty mind blowing how good it is.

A new Prime+Autopilot easily one of the best combo of reliable, frugal, technology and interesting design on the market IMO. Especially so if you factor in price.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 02:23:17 am by rrocket »

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1159
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 08:41:15 am by Guy »

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2024, 06:51:44 pm »
I was able to drive a 'used' 2024 at a dealer. Very smooth driving experience on EV power, and pretty good driving car as well. I never drove the previous model, but the current model is well planted with good steering feel. The lower roof line takes a bit of getting use to getting in and out, but I wouldn't say it is that bad like some reviews indicated and I am just under 6-feet.

Just have to find a dealer that will take an order as many are basically not even entertaining taking a deposit. The used one ends up costing thousands more over a new one as no EV incentives to use. This is also taking into account there is no PST in BC on any used EVs. I don't know what the deal is with these but I figure they were put in use as demos for sales/manager staff and they are now just trying to make a nice profit.

Probably will go for the XSE premium. Not sure on colour. Somehow I like the yellow that I saw online.  :rofl2:  Probably will end up ordering either the white, red or gray just to play it safe.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 06:56:58 pm by marcus_go »

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2024, 09:12:12 pm »
Update: Order placed for an XSE Premium in white. Backup colours are gray or red. ETA 8-12 months.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2024, 09:40:00 pm »
Update: Order placed for an XSE Premium in white. Backup colours are gray or red. ETA 8-12 months.
SWEEEEET!!

I'm jealous!!

Congrats!

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2024, 10:18:33 pm »
SWEEEEET!!

I'm jealous!!

Congrats!

Thanks! I think I made the right choice. Full disclosure, I was seriously looking at a Golf R. I went and drove a few new MK8s (both DSG and 6-speed). GREAT car but....I think I am beyond that car at this point (I am in my mid 30s).  Don't really need a pocket rocket and the Prius seems SO much more sensible after driving them back to back on the same day. Vancouver area traffic sucks. Gas is predicted to reach $2.50/L this summer (for regular!). So really a 300+HP hot hatch just doesn't make the most sense.

The Prius hits everything right. Looks good. Drives good. High residual. Don't think I can go wrong. I will likely end up leasing it for 48 months. That will give me the most incentives that I can, with option to buy out being very reasonable (I think it was just over $20k). Car would likely be worth more than that I figure given what I am seeing on the used market for a 4 year old Prime.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2024, 10:22:54 pm »
I believe you can't go wrong with the newer Prius Prime,  :thumbup:
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2024, 11:35:25 pm »
Great choice! I remember people freaking out when gas went over one dollar. Good times  :P
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2024, 07:10:58 am »
Hold on, isn't your mid thirties the perfect time for a hot hatch?

Regardless, great call on the new Prius. 
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.