Author Topic: Buying a 10-12 year old car in Montreal - need advice!  (Read 1831 times)

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
Re: Buying a 10-12 year old car in Montreal - need advice!
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2024, 03:43:59 pm »
My place looks nothing like that. ;D I think you are going a little overboard not using Krown because a bit drips on your driveway. If one is so concerned they could temporarily park under  a tarp. I actually use old panelling for this purpose. Even when it stains the driveway,it is temporary .

If the TR6 makes a drip on the pavers while zooming from garage to street, I get the chemicals and brushes out. If you buy an expensive white shirt, you don't leave the spaghetti stains on it.

LOL, why would you buy an old british car of all things if you're that anal about oil stains?  That's too funnY!

You don't look a gift horse in the mouth
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Online Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2024, 04:14:14 pm »
My place looks nothing like that. ;D I think you are going a little overboard not using Krown because a bit drips on your driveway. If one is so concerned they could temporarily park under  a tarp. I actually use old panelling for this purpose. Even when it stains the driveway,it is temporary .

If the TR6 makes a drip on the pavers while zooming from garage to street, I get the chemicals and brushes out. If you buy an expensive white shirt, you don't leave the spaghetti stains on it.

That is motor oil not Krown there is a difference.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline stasveselyi

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: None yet
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2024, 11:06:16 am »
Nice pick!

Goes with what I was saying - most people here in QC DON'T want the V6 in these, because of fuel costs. An equivalent  4-banger would have had more km / more $$. Had that engine in my two Odysseys - it's a sweet one!

With our yearly mileage and current gas price, it should be $300-400 more a year than Rav4.

The engine sounds really nice, especially after all those Communauto priuses and corollas I've been driving for the past couple months :)

Offline stasveselyi

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2024, 11:09:56 am »
The only thing with the V6 is the timing belt and VCM (Honda's cylinder deactivation system). The timing belt typically calls for replacement at 168,000 km. Given this car is 12 years old, it might be prudent to change the belt early since the engine is an interference design, and a broken belt will result in engine damage. Probably fine for now but something you might want to do in the not too distant future.

With the cylinder deactivation, those earlier VCM systems proved to have issues. I think that particular Accord might have version two which was more reliable than version one, but again, something to consider.

That's almost exactly what the inspecting mechanic said about its timing belt :) Will take it in for winter to summer tire change in the next couple of weeks and ask him to check the timing belt as well.
He said he had a Ridgeline in his shop once, with 300k+ on it, still running on the original timing belt and it didn't look like it had to be replaced. I'll get it looked at as soon as I can of course, but that does inspire confidence)

This Accord does have the version two, I checked online. Seems to be working well so far, but again, will have to wait and see over some time.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2024, 11:15:13 am »
I don't think I'd gamble on a timing belt, regardless if a mechanic says it looks fine after an inspection. 
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline stasveselyi

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2024, 11:15:57 am »
Nice find. I'd do a transmission fluid change as well from Honda. Do these V6s still have weak transmissions?

Full fluid reset on a 10+ years used car is a good idea, unless documented in the service history.

Never had tranny issues with both my vans, I think they popped up for owners with major highway miles under load. In the early minivan days, a lot of people used these vehicles as trucks and over-towed. In an Accord, with low km's to boot, I would not worry.

Keep it away from rust and it's good for at least another decade. If street-parked, get it Krowned, if driveway parked, get a wax-based no-drip yearly treatment.

Pretty sure it didn't have the transmission fluid changed. I will also ask about the fluids when I take it in for the tire swap, thanks!

Was gonna ask about the recommended rust treatment, but there I have it - Krown it is. Thanks again!

Offline stasveselyi

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2024, 11:20:47 am »
I don't think I'd gamble on a timing belt, regardless if a mechanic says it looks fine after an inspection.

So you'd replace it asap, just because of the time served? I guess if the engine is damaged, it'll be much more than around $1500 for the timing belt, seems prudent to spend some more money now. On well, at least I have the second set of tires, on mags)

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2024, 11:21:52 am »

So you'd replace it asap, just because of the time served? I guess if the engine is damaged, it'll be much more than around $1500 for the timing belt, seems prudent to spend some more money now. On well, at least I have the second set of tires, on mags)

To be fair, I don't think you have to run out and get it done tomorrow.  I think what BC was saying was, get it done when you take it in for the tire swap, rather than just going for an inspection.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2024, 11:31:31 am »

To be fair, I don't think you have to run out and get it done tomorrow.  I think what BC was saying was, get it done when you take it in for the tire swap, rather than just going for an inspection.

:thumbup:

I had one let go on a Prelude at 175k or thereabouts.  I bought the car at 110k, and was told the timing belt was just done.  I got lucky and there was no interference damage with the valves/head.  New belt and away it went.  I know the $1500 or so sucks to spend, but I think you're running on borrowed time given Honda recommends seven years IIRC. 

Congrats on the purchase by the way.  I love the Honda 3.5, such a smooth engine.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2024, 01:28:07 pm »
10 years or 160k kms on timing belt replacement.
-do the cam seals, tb tensioner and water pump at the same time.
Aisin or Honda OE

or play roulette with the TB belt, mine looked fine at 10 years and 160k kms but YMMV.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2024, 01:44:07 pm »
Interesting.  Our MDX calls for 7 years.  Must be those extra 10 ponies it has under the hood, or the extra $$$ Acura thinks its customers have.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2024, 02:25:27 pm »
Interesting.  Our MDX calls for 7 years.  Must be those extra 10 ponies it has under the hood, or the extra $$$ Acura thinks its customers have.

The MDX has the 3.7, which has slightly different heads, if I'm not mistaken?

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2024, 02:32:58 pm »

The MDX has the 3.7, which has slightly different heads, if I'm not mistaken?

No, its the 3.5.  The 3.7 was only used in the second gen. 

Without looking into owner's manuals, I think the interval in general is 7 years for the 3.5, not 10, but I could be wrong.