Author Topic: Oil change gone wrong!  (Read 37968 times)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: Oil change gone wrong!
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2014, 03:25:21 pm »
Sorry, but I think this is as much your fault as it is theirs.

You should have noticed the oil pressure light immediately and never left the parking lot. Failing that, you should have parked the car at 4 kms as soon as you noticed the lights and called a tow truck.

Hope Nissan does something for you, but I wouldn't expect it.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2014, 03:31:17 pm »
I'm going to say it's completely the dealer's fault.  The last steps of performing an oil change involve starting the car to circulate oil into the head and oil filter and then top up to the proper level.  They missed several crucial steps and are now trying to weasel out of fixing what they broke.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2014, 03:42:38 pm »
Its too bad we can never hear the dealer's side of the story. Just say'n.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2014, 03:45:27 pm »
Wow that sucks.  Shouldn't have driven back though that likely caused more damage.

I'm confused how there was no low oil pressure light immediately, with no oil that light should have been on right away.

Get a lawyer I guess.  Or drain oil, rev car till it blows, put oil back in claim it blew up driving to work.

Don't actually do that..

Excellent disclaimer.  :D
100% dealer fault. The more legit way is to contact the mass media of every kind. Bad publicity will make Nissan react in 24 hours.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Stepside78

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Nissan Versa Note
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2014, 03:51:06 pm »
Wow that sucks.  Shouldn't have driven back though that likely caused more damage.

I'm confused how there was no low oil pressure light immediately, with no oil that light should have been on right away.

Get a lawyer I guess.  Or drain oil, rev car till it blows, put oil back in claim it blew up driving to work.

Don't actually do that..

Excellent disclaimer.  :D
100% dealer fault. The more legit way is to contact the mass media of every kind. Bad publicity will make Nissan react in 24 hours.
I did contact Nissan Canada first by phone, then on Twitter and on Facebook. They told us they would do an investigation. Two weeks later they called back and said they couldn't help us. I would've thought any investigation should have involved an inspection of my car?

Offline Stepside78

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2014, 03:52:57 pm »
Its too bad we can never hear the dealer's side of the story. Just say'n.
I would like to also hear what the dealer is saying? Wonder if the owner told Nissan Canada that he was "sick and tired of this whole situation"? Because that's what he told me.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2014, 03:56:51 pm »
it's not like the cars oil was changed in the parking lot... the tech had to drive it off the rack and out of the garage right? (i guess some of these new places, it literally doesn't get moved by anyone, but chances are, that it wasn't that way)

as others have said, surprised that it didn't send out codes right away.

omvic and all the others will try and make you come to a amicable decision with the dealer yourself. they only step in when there is a serious impasse and one side has stopped talks. so do all you can, but not just simply complain... get fuel economy numbers, record the noises and the rough ride... take a new one out equipped the same and record the same trip... even though it wasn't your fault, you are going to have to do some work to get this fixed.

while your description tells me there was probably some kind of damage done, it IS possible that it's fine and every other issue is completely unrelated.speaking as a dealer employee, i see 'eversince-itis' quite often. "ever since i got my oil change my car pulls to the left".... "ever since you did my brakes, my radio cuts out occasionally"... "ever since you did that airbag recall, my exhaust has been noisy"...

not saying they are right or anything of the sort, but sometimes the way the issues are brought up can cause a reaction that won't be very conducive to your aim.

keep complaining, but go about it the right way.   
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Stepside78

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2014, 04:08:47 pm »
I'm fairly shocked, that if what you're telling us is true/the whole story, why this would not have been rectified immediately....especially by Nissan Canada. Curious.
[/quote
Dealers way of rectifying issue was to either replace motor, which wouldn't solve all issues or get us into a new car. We were told there were no 2014 models like ours left in Ontario and we would have to go to a 2015. When the owner of the dealership did all the paperwork for a new car purchase, we would be losing $7000. Not acceptable to me. I wouldn't have been looking to purchase a new car if this hadn't have happened.
Go onto Nissan's Facebook page or Nissan Canada's twitter account, you will see posts saying exactly what I have told you. I also have original paperwork stating that on the same day as the oil change was performed that it was brought back in because it had no oil in it.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2014, 04:15:11 pm »
I also have original paperwork stating that on the same day as the oil change was performed that it was brought back in because it had no oil in it.

POST IT HERE.  Love to see that.  :rofl2:

Technically you have an issue with the actually Dealership.  I'm surprised they didn't buy back the car.

Need to see that service order.  Post it
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 04:21:12 pm by ArticSteve »

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2014, 04:18:38 pm »
sounds like they are saying, "yours wasn't 'brand new', so you should lose a bit to get into a new one... and since this one is a year newer, it should be even more."

2-3 grand would probably still be worth it... my opinion of course.

you are totally right that they have forced your hand here, but the sad reality is that there isn't a simple fix for them.. nissan would need to eat the difference... i bet they would do a lot of it, but not quite to 100%.

good luck.

Offline Stepside78

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2014, 04:22:22 pm »
Wait, what's wrong with getting a 2015 of your exact same car? Why are you losing $7000?

He is only giving us $13,900 for a car that we paid $20,400 for six months earlier.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2014, 04:23:09 pm »
nissan would need to eat the difference

Why would Nissan contribute anything?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2014, 04:23:56 pm »
Wait, what's wrong with getting a 2015 of your exact same car? Why are you losing $7000?

He is only giving us $13,900 for a car that we paid $20,400 for six months earlier.

Post that service order or it didn't happen.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2014, 04:25:32 pm »

Dealers way of rectifying issue was to either replace motor, which wouldn't solve all issues or get us into a new car.

How would replacing the engine not solve all the issues of running it with no oil?

Did they offer to replace the engine?
Mr Pickypants

Offline Stepside78

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2014, 04:40:46 pm »

Post that service order or it didn't happen.

Service orders

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2014, 04:43:33 pm »

Well, of course it's worth only $13,900: it's got a blown engine!  :rofl2:  :stick:

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2014, 04:49:58 pm »
The first oil change was completed at 10:25am, then you paid, got in your car, drove 4 kms out, 4 kms back and had the car checked back in by 10:45am?

Offline Stepside78

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2014, 04:55:37 pm »
The first oil change was completed at 10:25am, then you paid, got in your car, drove 4 kms out, 4 kms back and had the car checked back in by 10:45am?

That's what the paperwork says. Time they took the car out of their bay till the time it went back in their bay. Remember, there was talking involved after oil change and when the car was brought back.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2014, 05:10:54 pm »
Sorry to hear about your troubles. A simple oil change turned into a nightmare.  :(

I wouldn't expect a new car, but an engine replacement at no charge should be sufficient. Not sure why it wouldn't be if the problem was no oil.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2014, 05:47:04 pm »
unfortunately, it's like an insurance claim.... a new engine won't help the resale of this car stay high... and most times a major component like that is replaced on a vehicle this early, other issues arise later on.

basically, it doesn't bring the car back to the position it was before the issue... which was a dealership mistake.

and yeah, AS, i said nissan, but i meant the dealership. nissan canada aren't the problem. the dealership made a mistake... it's not like it's a warranty issue.

now, the numbers... 20400... for a versa note? was that the final number for the car? plus taxes?.. no trade or anything in the deal? 13900 seems about right wholesale... but that isn't your problem. the dealership is going to lose money. they just need to figure out where they will lose it. thousands in the shop or thousands up front in sales. it was the shops fault, so they'll want to keep it back there... if you refuse that, it will be up the dealer principal/owner to come up with something to keep you happy.

if they get you a new versa at dead cost... have service kick in the 2-3 grand they deserve to lose... give 14000 for your trade... might only be 3 grand to start over... fight for a better deal of course, but if you don't want the issues with this car, might be the only real option.