Author Topic: Grand Caravan with Pretty Lights (NOT!)  (Read 3481 times)

Offline topless68

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 84 Olds Omega, 92 Chevy Lumina, 00 Dodge Dakota, 03 GMC Envoy, 06 GMC Envoy 14 Grand Caravan, 68 Chevelle Convertible
Grand Caravan with Pretty Lights (NOT!)
« on: April 28, 2022, 04:07:25 pm »
I've had my '14 Grand Caravan since new, it was the first new vehicle that I ever bought, and it has suited my growing family for a long time.  Its up in the 180K range, and its starting to fall apart. 

In december, alternator, then in February wheel bearing.  Now, i have the Traction, ABS and battery lights coming on at random times.  Turning it off and back resets the lights, but they just seem to come right back the next time i'm out driving it.
Dealership read the codes, and there is an over-voltage situation.  Went back to the shop that did the alternator - they replaced it under warranty.   Was fine for about 5 weeks, and the lights started up again...ARGH!   I hate putting money into this thing to just bandaid it - i'm looking into replacing it with something smaller, but its hard to find new cars on the lots and the used ones are way over priced.
 :-[

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +38/-239
    • View Profile
Re: Grand Caravan with Pretty Lights (NOT!)
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 05:11:27 pm »
I've had my '14 Grand Caravan since new, it was the first new vehicle that I ever bought, and it has suited my growing family for a long time.  Its up in the 180K range, and its starting to fall apart. 

In december, alternator, then in February wheel bearing.  Now, i have the Traction, ABS and battery lights coming on at random times.  Turning it off and back resets the lights, but they just seem to come right back the next time i'm out driving it.
Dealership read the codes, and there is an over-voltage situation.  Went back to the shop that did the alternator - they replaced it under warranty.   Was fine for about 5 weeks, and the lights started up again...ARGH!   I hate putting money into this thing to just bandaid it - i'm looking into replacing it with something smaller, but its hard to find new cars on the lots and the used ones are way over priced.
 :-[

Well sometimes you have to cut your looses. Otherwise it's a false economy,  You just have to start looking. Your ended paying extra either way, whether parts or a new car.   :-\

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2022, 07:34:55 pm »
Find a better shop that can find the root cause?

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2022, 08:07:15 pm »
Doesn’t sound too bad to me. Replacing an alternator and a wheel bearing is to be expected on a car that age and with that mileage. Pretty cheap and routine repairs, IMO. I’ve spent way more on bigger issues and the thought of replacing the vehicle never even crossed my mind.

It’s very possible you just got two bad replacement alternators - it’s happened to me. Maybe find a new shop that sources better quality parts.

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2022, 08:12:42 am »
Doesn’t sound too bad to me. Replacing an alternator and a wheel bearing is to be expected on a car that age and with that mileage. Pretty cheap and routine repairs, IMO. I’ve spent way more on bigger issues and the thought of replacing the vehicle never even crossed my mind.

It’s very possible you just got two bad replacement alternators - it’s happened to me. Maybe find a new shop that sources better quality parts.

I agree.  In a market like this, assuming you still find the van to be functional, I wouldn't even blink at some small repairs like this. 

Offline topless68

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 84 Olds Omega, 92 Chevy Lumina, 00 Dodge Dakota, 03 GMC Envoy, 06 GMC Envoy 14 Grand Caravan, 68 Chevelle Convertible
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2022, 08:39:11 am »
Thanks for the replies.  I think I'm just extremely frustrated with it.  I didn't balk at the alternator, or wheel bearing when they needed to be replaced, sucks that they were so close together. This issue seemingly baffles the places I've brought it to (one being a Chrysler Dealership and another independent garage), I feel like i'm just bleeding money into this thing.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2022, 08:39:52 am »
On those Caravans the PCM module has something to do with voltage regulation, not sure if it just checks it, or if it does the regulation, so it could be a problem with it and not the alternator.  Usually the PCM is fine, but could be a bad connection to it.
I don't know much about these in particular, just remember Dodge is a little different this way
Mr Pickypants

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2022, 10:56:56 am »
It's a Dodge Grand Caravan. It is falling apart right on schedule.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2022, 09:24:06 pm »
You'll lose the tranny next. 

As for the voltage issue; install a battery cable to the engine block and then to the frame of the car.  Connection need to be clean and paint free.

Offline topless68

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2022, 08:17:00 pm »
I found this YouTube video by "uncle Mark" in which the ground strap from the engine to the body was broken. I happened to check mine and voila, it was broken as well.  I have one coming in from the dealership on Monday.
Stay tuned. (fingers crossed)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2022, 09:00:01 pm »
Nice job! It’s a cheap thing to try, so hope it works out for you.

I can’t imagine owning an older car without access to YouTube and the internet. So many simple things causing problems, and it seems the whole internet knows the fixes, but somehow dealers are clueless. ???

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2022, 09:46:01 pm »
Nice job! It’s a cheap thing to try, so hope it works out for you.

I can’t imagine owning an older car without access to YouTube and the internet. So many simple things causing problems, and it seems the whole internet knows the fixes, but somehow dealers are clueless. ???

The simple things don't make them money.... 

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2022, 10:08:17 pm »
Nice work.

I feel like many techs these days are parts changers with little diagnostic skills.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2022, 12:10:53 am »
No money in diagnosing. Also we as a society have been steering "bright" people towards useless arts degrees  and away from the trades for so long that creative smart thinkers are few and far between .

Offline topless68

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2022, 08:53:36 am »
The local Chrysler dealership here charges a diagnostic fee.  the first time, i went in, they charged me $150 to pull the codes and told me to go back to the guy that changed the alternator, because it was a voltage issue - didn't look at anything else.    They want to charge me $150 AGAIN, so do more diagnostics this time, since changing the alternator didn't ultimately fix the issue.

They're definitely making some money, by charging you to "investigate" over and over, but never actually fixing the problem.     Same deal with my wheel bearing - I told them i was hearing grinding nose in the rear, $150 to diagnose the issue, and then $600 to replace the bearing on top of that.   I don't find that to be very ethical practices, so I'm not going back to them.

Offline PoweredSilenceGT

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-75
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2022, 08:59:13 am »
The local Chrysler dealership here charges a diagnostic fee.  the first time, i went in, they charged me $150 to pull the codes and told me to go back to the guy that changed the alternator, because it was a voltage issue - didn't look at anything else.    They want to charge me $150 AGAIN, so do more diagnostics this time, since changing the alternator didn't ultimately fix the issue.

They're definitely making some money, by charging you to "investigate" over and over, but never actually fixing the problem.     Same deal with my wheel bearing - I told them i was hearing grinding nose in the rear, $150 to diagnose the issue, and then $600 to replace the bearing on top of that.   I don't find that to be very ethical practices, so I'm not going back to them.

Thats ridiculous, how much did the alternator change cost? And since that dident fix the issue can't you get your money back?

Offline topless68

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2022, 04:09:05 pm »
I had the alternator done at an independent shop, since it was more convenient for me at the time.  It cost about $500 out the door for the alternator and belt.    They replaced it under warranty the second time, after the dealership provided the code report. 
It is entirely possible that the 2nd alternator is bad, but a bit skeptical.

December:   battery light starting coming up, whine when accelerating    - replaced the altnerator

February:   grinding noise from rear    - replaced the rear driver wheel bearing
2 weeks later - the trac/ABS/Battery lights started coming on - thought the issue was related to the sensor after doing the wheel bearing change - dealership provided report showing "over voltage" conditions - suggested the alternator

March: had the alternator replaced under warranty at original shop
5 weeks later (April): the trac/ABS/Battery lights started up again.

I have the new ground strap in my hands, and I'm going to install it after work, and see what happens. 

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2022, 05:11:12 pm »
Would not be surprised that a poor ground causes all kinds of problems. Wreck the alternator by building up charge, have the current come back through bearings and etch them, etc

Offline topless68

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2022, 08:48:04 am »
Unfortunately replacing the ground strap did not resolve the lights issue.  Into the shop today.   NOT the dealership!  a local independent shop.  described the issues, and he thinks it could be the fuse box/TIPM.  Will post later once I hear back from him.