Author Topic: Compensation for flight bump?  (Read 14077 times)

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
Re: Compensation for flight bump?
« Reply #100 on: April 22, 2017, 05:39:18 pm »
Yep...That's the BS I'm talking about. Once in a lifetime vacation ruined.

Yep, exactly.  Shouldn't of happened in the first place if they didn't sell one thing twice.  Again, should be illegal.....end of story!
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2017, 08:20:25 am »
   I don't really understand this procedure. Every flight (not many) that I have booked for, I have got on and traveled. I suppose that over booking takes place because of no shows and/or perhaps cancellations. It seems to me that a no show should lose the fare money...if they do not already. A voucher should be given for a late arriving connecting flights so that this fare would not be lost to the passenger. A reasonable amount of time should be allowed for (by the passenger) at the connection, in view of uncertainties involved

Cancellation less than a certain period of time before the flight, might be a fare forfeit. At the last minute the gate is closed and stand by passengers fill any empty seats...whats not to like; they might be paid for twice.

There will always be the occasional emergency though...that's life. I am pretty sure that the Galapagos trip will be made good.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2017, 09:41:42 am »
If they are going to continue the practice of overbooking they should be forced to continue to increase their compensation offer (cash not vouchers) until they get the needed number of volunteers.  NO forced bumping.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2017, 10:20:00 am »
If they are going to continue the practice of overbooking they should be forced to continue to increase their compensation offer (cash not vouchers) until they get the needed number of volunteers.  NO forced bumping.

Yeah that would be fair.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #104 on: April 24, 2017, 02:52:07 pm »
It's vouchers. They'd pull that :censor: on a regular basis. Usually some college student or similar would go for them.

When I was flying home, it was usually after a few weeks of 12+ hour days and I just wanted to get home. They weren't even a consideration.
It's vouchers if you volunteer.

It's cash if you are forced off. At least in the USA.

Here is the official Air Canada policy on denied boarding, as they call it:

(See https://www.aircanada.com/content/dam/aircanada/portal/documents/PDF/en/ac_domestic_tariff_en.pdf    pages 68 - 70)

E. Compensation for involuntary denied boarding

In addition to providing transportation in accordance with (d), a passenger who has been denied
boarding involuntarily will be compensated by Air Canada as follows:

(1) Conditions for payment
CTA(A) No. 3
Air Canada Domestic Tariff Page 70
a) The passenger must be considered to have been denied boarding in accordance with
(d)(1) above.
b) The passenger will not be eligible for compensation:
i. If he is offered accommodation or is seated in a compartment of the aircraft other
than that specified on his ticket at no extra charge to him. (Should he be seated in a
compartment for which a lower fare applies, he shall be entitled to the appropriate
refund); or
ii. If he has been refused transportation in accordance with RULE 85 – REFUSAL TO
TRANSPORT; or
iii. When the flight on which he holds a confirmed and ticketed reservation is cancelled
or space has been requisition by the government; or
iv. if, for operational and safety reasons beyond the Carrier’s control, his aircraft has
been substituted with one having lesser capacity and the Carrier is able to
demonstrate that all reasonable measures were taken to avoid substitution or it was
impossible to take such measures.
v. No denied boarding compensation will be provided to the attendant of a passenger
with a disability pursuant to RULE 45 – PASSENGERS WITH A DISABILITY.
vi. On a flight operated with an aircraft having 60 or fewer seats, passenger is denied
boarding due to safety-related weight/balance restrictions that limit payload.
(2) Amount of compensation
Subject to the provisions of RULE 100 – DENIED BOARDING (E)(1), Air Canada will tender
liquidated damages in the form of an eMCO only with the following amounts:
DELAY AT ARRIVAL AT POINT OF DESTINATION CAUSED BY
INVOLUNTARY DENIED BOARDING

0 to 2 hours:    $200
Over 2 hours to 6 hours:     $400
Over 6 hours:     $800

(3) Form of payment
Passengers will be offered compensation in the form of cash or bank draft.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #105 on: April 28, 2017, 08:05:52 am »
No surprises here...

Police story differs from videos of man dragged from United flight

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/04/police-story-differs-from-videos-of-man-dragged-from-united-flight/

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2017, 09:09:55 am »
No surprises here...

Police story differs from videos of man dragged from United flight

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/04/police-story-differs-from-videos-of-man-dragged-from-united-flight/

he already settled a suit with AA though.  doesn't matter what police says now. and it doesn't read that much differently than other analysis of the videos.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #107 on: April 28, 2017, 12:06:17 pm »
I'm surprised the US cops didn't shoot him 25 times before dragging him off the plane.  :P
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #108 on: April 28, 2017, 02:06:48 pm »
I'm surprised the US cops didn't shoot him 25 times before dragging him off the plane.  :P

Because he was Asian.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 17, 2017, 08:16:54 pm »
AC, back in the news.   ::)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/randell-earle-air-canada-ticket-conflict-1.4115596

air india tried to cancel a flight on me two evenings in a row.  the 2nd night i arrived at the airport after having confirming the flight hours prior... & i had 47 cases with me....they put me on an air canada flight 1st class.  i guess they were scared of the look on my face.

47 cases?  You pack like the Queen I take it?   ;D
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...