Author Topic: Stuff I see.  (Read 97575 times)

Online jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
Re: Stuff I see.
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2015, 11:09:59 pm »
This is a picture of a bell housing from a Wrangler. Torque convertor is removed and you can see mud back that was behind it. As most of you know, this is a very well protected area and not a place you would expect to see mud. When the breather tube was removed from the transmission, water poured out. Jeep had less than 10,000km and customer wanted warranty. He did not get it.

and these guys will come on here with "their side" of the story and most will bash the "stealership" for not giving warranty on a vehicle advertised as an off-road focused ride!!

yeah, we get it all the time as well... mind if I ever add a few shots of those crazies that come in our place?
Absolutely tooscoops. If you have some pictures, please go ahead and post.
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Online jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2015, 12:14:17 am »
Customer in a new Grand Caravan failed to avoid a boulder in the road.

Online jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2015, 12:16:25 am »
How to make a 1 ton truck into a 1/2 ton in one easy step. Put on low profile P rated tires. ::)

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2015, 08:44:47 am »
How to make a 1 ton truck into a 1/2 ton in one easy step. Put on low profile P rated tires. ::)

That one is just ridiculous and looks even dumber with those stupid fender flares that I am seeing on lots of trucks lately.  ::)  That one desrves a set of truck nuts.

Good thread btw!  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 08:47:14 am by KarlsDarwin »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2015, 09:22:39 am »
This is a picture of a bell housing from a Wrangler. Torque convertor is removed and you can see mud back that was behind it. As most of you know, this is a very well protected area and not a place you would expect to see mud. When the breather tube was removed from the transmission, water poured out. Jeep had less than 10,000km and customer wanted warranty. He did not get it.

Can you give some more detail on some of these things, especially for people not familiar with Jeeps / off-road use. thanks.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2015, 10:24:00 am »

Can you give some more detail on some of these things, especially for people not familiar with Jeeps / off-road use. thanks.

From the factory, both differentials, transfer case and tranny have a vent line that usually goes a few inches above the unit. Real offroaders usually extend these up into a safer/dryer area to avoid having to change fluids after every water crossing/mud hole. I pulled all my vents on my Cherokee into the cabin and stuck on a few old PCV valves on the end up the tubes to act as a one way valve. Obviously this idiot submarined his JK into a deep hole.....  :shake: :shake:
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2015, 11:29:34 am »

From the factory, both differentials, transfer case and tranny have a vent line that usually goes a few inches above the unit. Real offroaders usually extend these up into a safer/dryer area to avoid having to change fluids after every water crossing/mud hole. I pulled all my vents on my Cherokee into the cabin and stuck on a few old PCV valves on the end up the tubes to act as a one way valve. Obviously this idiot submarined his JK into a deep hole.....  :shake: :shake:

Ah I see.  Why do they need vent lines?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2015, 11:31:35 am »

When you froth up a fluid by spinning parts through it, it will build up an actual pressure, if there were no vent lines the seals would start to weep.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2015, 11:33:21 am »

When you froth up a fluid by spinning parts through it, it will build up an actual pressure, if there were no vent lines the seals would start to weep.

Is that the same on other cars, or just Jeeps?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2015, 11:34:47 am »

Every truck I know has vents like this....

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2015, 11:39:12 am »
I had no idea that stock Jeep could be taking mud bogging.  Seems crazy to me given the marketing and reputation.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2015, 11:41:18 am »
I had no idea that stock Jeep could be taking mud bogging.  Seems crazy to me given the marketing and reputation.

I tell anyone that buys a brand new Wrangler, "don't do anything like what you see in the commercials, they will void your warranty and you will break something". You can take them mud bogging no problem, just you have to know the limits.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2015, 11:47:18 am »
Great thread. I had some good chuckles. That brake one is scarey.  :o

Northernridge

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2015, 11:55:28 am »
Awesome thread. I hope you can keep it up...looks like your customers are willing to do they part.  :)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2015, 12:23:42 pm »
I'm not surprised at all.  I know guys that destroy their vehicles and then cry when warranty won't cover their massive abuse.  One Rig-Pig friend of a friend right now is fighting with Ford as he's managed to grind his Raptor to the ground.  Yeah, a Raptor!  Ford Canada has basically said "we surmise that this truck must have been seriously airborne for multiple flights to do this amount of damage to the chassis."

He's tried some "Bad roads around Ft. Mac" crap - and they don't believe him for a second.  So he whines on and on about what a piece of crap his truck is.  Riiiiiight.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2015, 12:32:51 pm »
I'm really afraid of showing ya'll my (parents') cars.  While I think they're pristine, ya'll would probably show me 4000 reasons why I'm a moron.  ;D

I do love this thread.  Tons of chuckling (even for a non-gearhead)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2015, 02:19:10 pm »

They all have a vent of some sort and some eventually can get clogged up from excessive road dust from gravel roads.

Offline craigq

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-9
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 17FozXT, 18MiragePOS
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2015, 03:11:02 pm »
Thought I would start a thread with stuff I see in our shop. Here is a Wrangler with less than 5000km on this clutch.  :o

That clutch is scary  :o

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2015, 03:13:31 pm »
Occasionally I see cars that are driving with their brake lights on, even pulling away from a light.  At first I thought "electrical fault" and then I began to be able to smell the brakes.  There are people that drive with both pedal depressed.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2015, 03:16:36 pm »
Occasionally I see cars that are driving with their brake lights on, even pulling away from a light.  At first I thought "electrical fault" and then I began to be able to smell the brakes.  There are people that drive with both pedal depressed.

There was a lady in a Sienna that I saw doing this that a few weeks ago when it was hot....same thing, thought it was an electrical fault, weird for a newer Toyota, but then the smell of really hot brakes came wafting through the window...... :stfu: :shake: