Author Topic: Co-worker leasing Equinox  (Read 1667 times)

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
Co-worker leasing Equinox
« on: February 23, 2018, 10:38:11 am »
So, as the title says, he's ordered (the way he wants it) and they just got in yesterday a brand new 2018 Equinox and he wants to lease it.  5 yr lease.  Ouch.  Only $50 (yay!) more bi-weekly than his 4 yr old Trax which is due to go back at the end of March (has 28k on it...low for a 4 yr old, but it's a stick and they don't want it back, no one wants a stick).  Incentive on the Eq right now is $1500 off and 2% financing.  I said, surely they must have a little more room to negotiate.  Nope.  $31500, sticker price, only have the $1500 off if he takes it now in Feb, and leases it for 5 yrs. (that's such BS...on an Equinox...FFS).  But, he's buying it hook, line and sinker. 

His only concern now is since March is right around the corner, will they have better incentives next week.  Of course they can't (won't) tell him.  Maybe they don't really know.  Quite likely they don't, but who wants to believe a salesman, right?

Anyone know anything in GM's future?  Tips?  Thought I'd check with smart people.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: Co-worker leasing Equinox
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 11:30:54 am »
So, as the title says, he's ordered (the way he wants it) and they just got in yesterday a brand new 2018 Equinox and he wants to lease it.  5 yr lease.  Ouch.  Only $50 (yay!) more bi-weekly than his 4 yr old Trax which is due to go back at the end of March (has 28k on it...low for a 4 yr old, but it's a stick and they don't want it back, no one wants a stick).  Incentive on the Eq right now is $1500 off and 2% financing.  I said, surely they must have a little more room to negotiate.  Nope.  $31500, sticker price, only have the $1500 off if he takes it now in Feb, and leases it for 5 yrs. (that's such BS...on an Equinox...FFS).  But, he's buying it hook, line and sinker. 

His only concern now is since March is right around the corner, will they have better incentives next week.  Of course they can't (won't) tell him.  Maybe they don't really know.  Quite likely they don't, but who wants to believe a salesman, right?

Anyone know anything in GM's future?  Tips?  Thought I'd check with smart people.

So, he's had a TRAX that he's kept for 4 years...shows he has the discipline to at least keep a lease going for 4 years.  What's the problem with a 5 year lease, as long as he's disciplined enough to not want to break it...

Isn't the current equinox pretty new?  Usually there aren't too many incentives on a new model, especially if they're selling well enough...

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Co-worker leasing Equinox
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 12:04:44 pm »

GM incentives (like 20% off they ran last year) usually happens in the fall - I think it’s typically Nov?
So if he can wait - which I think he can’t - he’d likely get the same car for $25k or so.

GM is just like Ford, buy around the right time and you get a smoking deal....otherwise it’s MSRP or close to MSRP.

Is this an LS? AWD? I’d run a search on autotrader to see if any other dealers out there have better deals...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 12:32:40 pm »
It sounds like his current lease ends in March.  So, unless he's willing to buy out his Trax (doesn't sound like it), he can't really wait. 

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 12:39:26 pm »
Yeah I agree, Equinox is too new for great deals.  Will get somewhat better in the fall. 

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 02:12:30 pm »
It's an AWD LS (I think - looked at it yesterday but not that closely) and he factory ordered it because he wanted the wheel & tire pkg - 2 sets of 19's - all seasons and winter tires. No one had one available in Canada like it (at that time, probably not now either).  He likes his wheels. 

He's got the Trax on Kijiji for $11,500 and he does have until the end of March to either sell it, or just give it back.  I think it'd make a great commuter for me, or a replacement for the Sonic, but do I really want a Trax? Probably not.  His buyout is $8500 + taxes...but he spent $X when he bought it on nice aluminum wheels and bigger tires because it came with steelies and hubcaps.  Wants his "money back" out of that.  If he can get $10 he's "making" $500.  Bets are he will be going with bringing it back, and they'll send it back to GM HQ.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 02:16:27 pm »
He should list it for $9999.  Many people put filters for under $10k.  He is being pretty greedy to ask that much, considering his buyout.  Even though he upgraded the rims and tires, they are 4 years old now.  They aren't worth that much.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 03:04:30 pm »
He should list it for $9999.  Many people put filters for under $10k.  He is being pretty greedy to ask that much, considering his buyout.  Even though he upgraded the rims and tires, they are 4 years old now.  They aren't worth that much.

I'm thinking if he prices it at $9,999 he'll likely be offered less than the $9,500 he has wrapped up into it (buying it out).  So my guess is he's pricing it at a level he'll still have wiggle room.  I get your thinking about people filtering him out of searches but when I'm looking at used vehicles and my budget is say $10,000 I'll likely set the filter to a bit higher than that as I expect to negotiate that number down to my budget.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 03:26:05 pm »
Highly doubt he will be able to sell his Trax fast....it’s a manual, FWD - nobody wants a FWD to start, add the manual transmission and....well....it will be hard.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 03:43:36 pm »
Highly doubt he will be able to sell his Trax fast....it’s a manual, FWD - nobody wants a FWD to start, add the manual transmission and....well....it will be hard.

I mean, really, it's the perfect vehicle to lease...kinda unique, hard to sell, but who cares, it's a lease.  You can just give it back after.

Could he not keep the wheels and tires and sell them separately on Kijiji for $500?  I'm sure they would fit plenty of vehicles...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 04:59:02 pm »
Isn't the current equinox pretty new?  Usually there aren't too many incentives on a new model, especially if they're selling well enough...
this...they sell them as fast as they come in...my parents had to wait about 6 weeks for theirs (though they bought late summer when they just came out, then the strike happened shortly afterwards)...there isn't much in the way of deals of them because they are already selling them easily.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.