Author Topic: dollar at parity  (Read 11405 times)

Offline gord_boyd

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +7/-24
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '12 A7, '85 911 turbo
dollar at parity
« on: October 13, 2010, 02:17:36 pm »
Time to review imports again.
Any activity out there?

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: dollar at parity
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 02:30:57 pm »
I think there is still quite a bit of importing going on. I was in the US last week and when I came back I noticed lots of signage for "vehicle exports report here" and a large parking area for traffic exiting the USA at the new US Customs building in Calais,Me. The only reason that I know for reporting on the way out of the US is if you are exporting a vehicle
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 02:30:59 pm »
Yup, in RE again.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 02:33:33 pm »
Just looked....99.72 US  as of 14:30 EDT  ;D

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 04:56:42 pm »
I'll be "importing" a new Ipod , Kentucky bourbon, and winter mats while I'm in Cinci this weekend ;)

O0

I'm going to import tires and rims for four vehicles, and perhaps repatriate some Canadian Beer!
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 07:11:22 am »
Almost there!......CDN $ was quoted at .9995 US when I looked at Yahoo Finance this morning. maybe I won't keep the SRX for another year after all!  ;D

Offline gord_boyd

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +7/-24
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '12 A7, '85 911 turbo
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 02:29:03 pm »
From what I read, Euro cars will go up in price in New Year, due to weakening both US & Cdn currancies.

A weakening US currency leads to inflationary pressures on any imports.

New BMW X3 will avoid this by adding production to Spartanburg.

Hyundai bragged recently their 400K unit production capacity vs. Sales No.'s at 500K
means they have same ratio as Ford/GM & Chrysler.

Offline dave

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +23/-116
    • View Profile
    • www.clownpenis.fart
  • Cars: 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS, 2021 VW Atlas R-Line
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 03:15:00 pm »
Just got my winter tires for the Passat from Tirerack.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 08:09:37 pm »
With all the USD buying that you guy are going to be doing we'll never get to 90 cents (the other way). :(
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 11:37:36 am »
With all the USD buying that you guy are going to be doing we'll never get to 90 cents (the other way). :(

You never know.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-11-05/asian-currencies-rise-most-in-month-as-fed-easing-encourages-carry-trades.html

What I don't understand is, how can imported vehicles going into USA still be at such low prices?
The US dollar has been weak for the past 2-3 years, yet the German and Japanese (foreign made not USA made) vehicles are still being sold at relatively cheap prices.
2011 MB C300 4Matic (Tenorite Grey)
2010 MB C300 4Matic (Iridium Silver)
2002 VW Jetta 1.8T GLS Sport Luxury Leather package

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 08:53:32 am »
I've imported products since the early 90s at exchange rates as high as 1.57 and still saved quite a bit. You had to pick your purchases at that rate, but anything under an exchange rate of 1.40 was a saving for the majority of my purchases. At better than 1.20, I'm laughing all the way to the bank. Business up here does not want to know how much of my money went stateside this year...in the thousands.  ;)

What gets me is VWs are made in Mexico, part of NAFTA, yet I cannot buy a new one at a dealer stateside. No doubt due to pressure from VW Canada in their inability to compete...or more like their desire to rip off.
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 10:43:58 am »

You never know.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-11-05/asian-currencies-rise-most-in-month-as-fed-easing-encourages-carry-trades.html

What I don't understand is, how can imported vehicles going into USA still be at such low prices?
The US dollar has been weak for the past 2-3 years, yet the German and Japanese (foreign made not USA made) vehicles are still being sold at relatively cheap prices.

FX has been volatile for the last 2-3 years, USD was quite strong for a time (of course this coincided with the banking blow up on pre QE1).

But to answer your question...how do you expect to raise prices in a terrible economic environment where it seems the only way to sell something is to put it on sale? There are still some deflationary pulls in the machine down south. So probably they are just taking it on the chin and trying to slowly grind out of it through a combination of slow price hikes year over year, hoping the economy recovers, probably a better net interest margin on loans (I would guess loan rates have not really come down that much but their funding rates have), and probably decontenting (see new Jetta).

Oh and they are making a shitload of money in China.

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 12:06:22 pm »

You never know.

FX has been volatile for the last 2-3 years, USD was quite strong for a time (of course this coincided with the banking blow up on pre QE1).

But to answer your question...how do you expect to raise prices in a terrible economic environment where it seems the only way to sell something is to put it on sale? There are still some deflationary pulls in the machine down south. So probably they are just taking it on the chin and trying to slowly grind out of it through a combination of slow price hikes year over year, hoping the economy recovers, probably a better net interest margin on loans (I would guess loan rates have not really come down that much but their funding rates have), and probably decontenting (see new Jetta).

Oh and they are making a shitload of money in China.

Wouldn't introducing lower end entry models at current prices and increasing the prices of higher end models be reasonable?
How long can they keep the prices low without cutting in to profits (or even worse, selling at a loss)?

Relying on profits from other regions to make up for the loss (or reduced profit) in the USA does not seem to be a "long term" sustainable solution.
Yes, the global balance sheets may look okay for now, but in the long run, steady growth in all regions should be what these corporations are aiming for.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 12:34:03 pm »
Short term I think the Europeans will take the loss on US sales to maintain market share while they hope for the greenback to recover (pretty tough to raise prices given current US economic conditions). Longer term,if the FX rates don't rebound they will either have to move more production to the US or scale back their US operations.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 01:24:18 pm »
... :banana: :banana: LET'S PARITY like it's 1999......................... :cheers: :drool: :fall:..wifey taking me across the Rio Grande (Sarnia crossing/semi legally!!!) this coming weekend fer BED BATH & BEYOND :-X...something or other.... :-[ :-* :-[ :-* :o ;)...................prolly a chandelier will be INVOLVED......... :rofl:............
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 01:26:57 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2010, 03:32:24 pm »
Short term I think the Europeans will take the loss on US sales to maintain market share while they hope for the greenback to recover (pretty tough to raise prices given current US economic conditions). Longer term,if the FX rates don't rebound they will either have to move more production to the US or scale back their US operations.

Well, the "move more production to the US" part has already started with BMW's X3 and VW's new nid-size sedan.

MB considered to make the next generation C-Class in the USA but some how did not go ahead.
Audi may start to produced some vehicles in the VW plant in Chattanooga.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 04:12:32 pm »
Relying on profits from other regions to make up for the loss (or reduced profit) in the USA does not seem to be a "long term" sustainable solution.
Yes, the global balance sheets may look okay for now, but in the long run, steady growth in all regions should be what these corporations are aiming for.
'

Fully agree with you, but they can't hike prices 20% just because Euro went from 1.20 to 1.40 and JPY from 95 to 80.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 04:35:17 pm »
Don't know about cars coming in from the States, but I know we're doing more Christmas shopping online then ever and most of it seems to be US companies.